Explanation: Track Automation vs MIDI Controllers

inquiry

Really? Do you mind giving me an example of what cannot be controlled via midi that can only be controlled via track automation, as I'd love to better understand. Thanks!

Track automation directly controls parameters via the AU plug-in architecture. All (or most) controls on any plug-in will be available for track automation. For effect plug-ins, this is the only way to do automation in Logic as effects can't receive MIDI.

For synth plug-ins, it's possible for parameters to respond to MIDI CCs (continuous controllers), but this has to be specifically programmed into the synth by the developer as part of the synth design. What can be automated, and by what controller, and whether user assignments are possible, varies between synths and you have to consult the documentation to figure out what/if can be done.

[UPDATE: this is wrong, see below --

So you can't just move any track automation you want to a MIDI region and have it still control the same parameter. You might be able to do it -- but you have to figure out what MIDI CC to assign it to for a given synth.]

The exception to this is how Logic deals with MIDI CC 7 and 10 which are supposed to be synth pan and volume controls. Logic always routes MIDI CC 7 and 10 to the channel strip of a plug-in, not the pan and volume knobs on the synth itself -- which has pros and cons.

Edited by inquiry

Sorry Inquiry, but I think this time you're just plain wrong. :shock:

In Logic, Channel strips and plug-ins respond to Fader data, which is internal Logic data that very closely resemble MIDI data.

When recording Track automation, the Fader data is recorded inside a MIDI region hidden in the Automation Arrange window, but displayed as Track Automation in a regular Arrange window in automation view.

When moving that Track automation to the Region, Logic simply places the exact same Fader data inside the selected MIDI region in the regular Arrange window, so it's visible as Hyper Draw data.

You never have to refer to the documentation to figure out which Fader data does what in order to move automation from Track to Region or Region to Track, and any kind of Track automation can be converted to Region automation.

Yup I was mixed up about the Move Current Track Automation Data to Region function. I actually had never tested it(!) and just assumed it was converting Logic's internal automation data to MIDI CC data, and moving it from the track level to the Region's MIDI CC lanes (in Piano Roll).

I just updated my original message above to strike out the incorrect statement. The general concept of the difference between track automation data and MIDI CC data is correct though.

I'm looking into the strange way Move Current Track Automation Data to Region works (mirroring the data) and will post back on that later.

The general concept of the difference between track automation data and MIDI CC data is correct though.

Well not in this context, since whether you use TBA or RBA it's the same exact data (Fader data, which closely resembles MIDI CC data) that controls your channel strips orplug-ins. The only difference is in the way that data is displayed (on the track vs inside a MIDI region).

I'm looking into the strange way Move Current Track Automation Data to Region works (mirroring the data) and will post back on that later.

Move Current Track Automation Data to Region isn't so mysterious! :mrgreen: It simply moves the automation data into a region, it doesn't mirror it; "mirroring" implies that the track automation data is still there, just "reflected" as MIDI data (in a region) so that it can be manipulated.

The general concept of the difference between track automation data and MIDI CC data is correct though.

Well not in this context

This isn't modern art, David, you aren't bringing your own context to it : )

Just a general differentiation of what MIDI CC vs Track Automation/"fader" automation (wherever it is) does.

Edited by inquiry

OK... the results of the Inquiry inquiry are in.

1. The Logic manual (p. 600 Conversion of Automation Data) is wrong and the source of my original confusion. It says "You can convert track automation data into MIDI controller events". That should be "You can move track automation data from the track to individual Regions".

2. David is right about the general concept of moving track automation. You can move track automation data into a Region, and it remains the same automation data, with no change in the plug-in parameters it's controlling. And this is possible because there can be two distinct types of automation data in the Region (which you can see in the List editor): automation called "fader" data, and MIDI CC automation called "controller" data.

3. Ski is right that "mirroring" was my temporary confusion -- "fader" data and "controller" data are not linked to each other in any way.

And in general I would be thrilled by all this. I've been whining about wanting to be able to "encapsulate" track automation -- and it's been there all along. Unfortunately the bugs and gruesome usability are a real challenge if you need to edit the "fader" data once it's in a Region...

Edited by inquiry

In Logic, Channel strips and plug-ins respond to Fader data, which is internal Logic data that very closely resemble MIDI data.

The channel strip level and pan controls do respond to actual ("controller") MIDI CC 7 and 10 -- in addition to "fader" automation data (which is, in parallel, assigned to the "fader" #s 7 and 10 ).

Well not in this context

This isn't modern art, David, you aren't bringing your own context to it : )

Just a general differentiation of what MIDI CC vs Track Automation/"fader" automation (wherever it is) does.

I didn't bring the context, the original poster (from the thread where your original quote was taken) did. The original topic was Region based automation vs Track based automation, not MIDI CC vs Track Automation.

http://media.motortopia.com/files/2/vehicle/458302e7e73e9/rx8-girls2.jpg

:lol:

:roll:

David is correct 99.99% of the time.

IF you want to argue with him remember this:

Although your thought process may seem right, the way you word it is incorrect. Your thought process could also be totally wrong.

Once you have done battle and let your wounds heal, you will usually find the what David posted (unedited) still stands true and is properly worded.

So Logic will let you automate or control almost everything. One way is to draw lines in the Arrange window, the other is to have Logic convert your CC values into Logic's Fader values.

Luckily the two methods can be converted and interchanged.

Why is the a lucky thing?

Saving money with Geico is one thing, but saving hundreds or thousands of $$$ on a controller is a better thing.

A cheap $50 controller will send out Midi CC's and no matter what those values are, Logic will let us convert them to whatever we want to control just about ANYTHiNG we want. These values can then be recorded as HYPER Draw information and displayed as both the HYPER Draw information and TRACK automation..

So using a few knobs and sliders (and the environment), a gigantic virtual Mixer can be created and controlled.

...And that, my friend, has absolutely nothing to do with the reason why girls like RED cars.

8)

The channel strip level and pan controls do respond to actual ("controller") MIDI CC 7 and 10 -- in addition to "fader" automation data (which is, in parallel, assigned to the "fader" #s 7 and 10 ).

For volume and pan automation, Logic doesn't use Fader data #7 and #10, it uses MIDI CC data instead.

OK, I retested and you're nowwww right that Volume and Pan automation always use MIDI CC "control" data even (strangely) in track automation. (So that is just moved to Regions, and remains "control" data.) Even hand-edited "fader" Ch 1/Num 10 will not affect Channel Strip volume.

But -- drumroll please -- we've got a 0.01% for David as that contradicts:

But -- drumroll please -- we've got a 0.01% for David as that contradicts:

That statement is 100% correct and very easy to prove.

BTW, here is a site for a place that serves crow as you will need it if you keep challenging his knowledge. http://realtravel.com/f-248508-eagle_river_restaurant-crows_nest_hotel_captain_cook

446239657_Picture9.png.696ffb4314afaa6477d7b89aa9a89f68.png

Is that the "channel strip" (volume and pan) or a "plug-in" you're demonstrating there? It's agreed plug-in automation is "fader" type...

The issue in my last post is that channel strip vol and pan are always "control" type, never "fader" type... which David and I agree on. But you're still trying to support David's older statement that doesn't mention vol/pan are "control" -- so now actually you're contradicting David. A very serious offense.

Is that the "channel strip" (volume and pan) or a "plug-in" you're demonstrating there? It's agreed plug-in automation is "fader" type...

The issue in my last post is that channel strip vol and pan are always "control" type, never "fader" type... which David and I agree on. But you're still trying to support David's older statement that doesn't mention vol/pan are "control" -- so now actually you're contradicting David. A very serious offense.

I was demonstrating the plug in.

Throughout these threads you edited your posts and changed your mind. I understood what you meant, but what you wrote was incorrect and that's where David usually steps in to keep other from becoming confused.

Everyone know that volume and pan are control values. It's all in the book.

Regardless of what you, I or David know or agree to, Logic is what Logic is and will function the way it was programmed to function.

All you have done is proven David's original statement correct and supported my statement that he is always 100% correct 99.99% of the time.

Au revoir 8)

Hi guys

I am also trying to understand the finer points of Automation in Logic. I was hoping that I could ask a couple of questions to help me get to the bottom of this!

1) Page 600 of the manual says “You can convert track automation data into MIDI controller events (Hyper Draw data, in other words), and vice-versa. This allows you to move control data from regions in the Arrange area to the track-based automation system, or the reverse.”

I don’t always find this to be the case.

If I have Stylus RMX loaded as a four-part multi, then certainly I can use normal track automation to control the volume and pan for each part (because they appear in the list of available track automation from RMX). I can also convert this automation to region automation successfully (although from reading all the posts in this thread, “convert” is not the right word, “move” is more appropriate).

However if I add some CC#11 to the region and then do a “Move All Region Control Data to Track Automation”, it does move back the RMX volume and pan, but also “converts” my CC#11 into fader #11 (which is the Pan for Part 2!).

Going further, if I add some CC#42 to the region and then do a “Move All Region Control Data to Track Automation”, it does move back the RMX volume and pan, but CC#42 gets “left behind” in the region data. This is with no warning.

So obviously there are some cases when not ALL region controller data are moved to automation data. Does that sound right?

2) Using the Autodefine menu item of the Hyper draw menu in the Piano Roll. What does it mean by Autodefine? I can make no sense of that. What it seems to do is sequentially select each automation/CC contained within the region. I’ve assigned it to a key to quickly select the correct automation, now that is VERY useful, but I’m not sure if that’s what Autodefine means. Am I missing something?

3) Is there any sense to the colouring system used in Hyper draw? Each time I add different CC the colour changes. Is there a system for this?

Thanks in advance for your help.

1) Page 600 of the manual says “You can convert track automation data into MIDI controller events (Hyper Draw data, in other words), and vice-versa. This allows you to move control data from regions in the Arrange area to the track-based automation system, or the reverse.”

The manual is partly wrong, partly confused, and partly unclear : )

I don’t always find this to be the case.

If I have Stylus RMX loaded as a four-part multi, then certainly I can use normal track automation to control the volume and pan for each part (because they appear in the list of available track automation from RMX). I can also convert this automation to region automation successfully (although from reading all the posts in this thread, “convert” is not the right word, “move” is more appropriate).

However if I add some CC#11 to the region and then do a “Move All Region Control Data to Track Automation”, it does move back the RMX volume and pan, but also “converts” my CC#11 into fader #11 (which is the Pan for Part 2!).

Going further, if I add some CC#42 to the region and then do a “Move All Region Control Data to Track Automation”, it does move back the RMX volume and pan, but CC#42 gets “left behind” in the region data. This is with no warning.

So obviously there are some cases when not ALL region controller data are moved to automation data. Does that sound right?

When moving back and forth between track automation and region automation, the data is usually just moved, not converted (or copied).

The exception to this is moving region MIDI CC ("Control") automation other than Volume/Pan (MIDI CC 7 & 10) to track automation. It's useless to have "Control" data (other than 7/10) in track automation, so it does need to be converted to "Fader" data.

It's not clear though if it should be copied and converted, or moved and converted. The manual could be read as saying it is going to be copied ("mirrored"). My testing shows it being moved. Your results seem to show either happening erratically.

The function is certainly buggy in general -- it won't work at all (in my testing) unless you have first moved some track automation to the region.

In any case, the "Fader" data you end up with will (should) be on the same "Fader" Channel/Number that the MIDI CC "Control" data was on. So unless you did some advance planning that "Fader" Channel/Number is probably doing nothing (appearing as Unassigned) or is assigned to some strange channel strip or plug-in control. But once it is track automation, you can change the "Fader" Channel/Number easily by just selecting the curve in the track automation lane, and holding down CMD while you choose the desired automation parameter from the track header automation dropdown menu.

2) Using the Autodefine menu item of the Hyper draw menu in the Piano Roll. What does it mean by Autodefine? I can make no sense of that. What it seems to do is sequentially select each automation/CC contained within the region. I’ve assigned it to a key to quickly select the correct automation, now that is VERY useful, but I’m not sure if that’s what Autodefine means. Am I missing something?

Autodefine displays the automation curve for whatever automation data has a node nearest to the playhead currently.

If you select a "Control" or "Fader" automation event in the region Event List, and then do Autodefine, that automation curve will load in the automation graphical display. This is only way currently to get particular region "Fader" curves to display. It's very confusing though, because it's not clear visually that you have switched to displaying "Fader" data. If you now want to draw in some MIDI CC "Control" data, you need to select a "Control" event in the List Editor and do Autodefine again to get the display back to "Control mode".

But even doing any of that is buggy after initially moving "Fader" data from track to region -- you have to wiggle things around before "Fader" data will start displaying as described.

Big usability issue.

3) Is there any sense to the colouring system used in Hyper draw? Each time I add different CC the colour changes. Is there a system for this?

I think there are just like 7 colors and the 128 controller numbers randomly get one of them. Helps you distinguish the common controllers like Volume and Pan but doesn't have any grand scheme. Same colors are used regardless of whether "Control" or "Fader" curves, and regardless of Channel.

Thanks for your post, inquiry.

The manual is partly wrong, partly confused, and partly unclear : )

Ah ok! Well that at least explains some of my confusion.

When moving back and forth between track automation and region automation, the data is usually just moved, not converted (or copied).

The exception to this is moving region MIDI CC ("Control") automation other than Volume/Pan (MIDI CC 7 & 10) to track automation. It's useless to have "Control" data (other than 7/10) in track automation, so it does need to be converted to "Fader" data.

It's not clear though if it should be copied and converted, or moved and converted. The manual could be read as saying it is going to be copied ("mirrored"). My testing shows it being moved. Your results seem to show either happening erratically.

The function is certainly buggy in general -- it won't work at all (in my testing) unless you have first moved some track automation to the region.

In any case, the "Fader" data you end up with will (should) be on the same "Fader" Channel/Number that the MIDI CC "Control" data was on. So unless you did some advance planning that "Fader" Channel/Number is probably doing nothing (appearing as Unassigned) or is assigned to some strange channel strip or plug-in control. But once it is track automation, you can change the "Fader" Channel/Number easily by just selecting the curve in the track automation lane, and holding down CMD while you choose the desired automation parameter from the track header automation dropdown menu.

Yup – I understand the moved and not converted. In fact, it must always be moved (and not copied) otherwise you’d end up with duplicated automation data, which you wouldn’t want.

I’m not sure it’s useless to have “Control” data in track automation. For example, if I have a MIDI track (either connected to an external synth or connected to one of the channels of an Environment multi-instrument that in turn is connected to a multi-timbral software instrument) then it should be able to contain CC data. In fact, Logic allows you to add CC type track automation data to such tracks.

But here is another odd bit, you can then move that automation data to the region, but NOT back from the region to the MIDI track! As you say, buggy.

Autodefine displays the automation curve for whatever automation data has a node nearest to the playhead currently.

If you select a "Control" or "Fader" automation event in the region Event List, and then do Autodefine, that automation curve will load in the automation graphical display. This is only way currently to get particular region "Fader" curves to display. It's very confusing though, because it's not clear visually that you have switched to displaying "Fader" data. If you now want to draw in some MIDI CC "Control" data, you need to select a "Control" event in the List Editor and do Autodefine again to get the display back to "Control mode".

But even doing any of that is buggy after initially moving "Fader" data from track to region -- you have to wiggle things around before "Fader" data will start displaying as described.

Big usability issue.

Yes – totally agree. None of this is intuitive at all. It really feels like I am “fighting” Logic all the way.

I think there are just like 7 colors and the 128 controller numbers randomly get one of them. Helps you distinguish the common controllers like Volume and Pan but doesn't have any grand scheme. Same colors are used regardless of whether "Control" or "Fader" curves, and regardless of Channel.

Ah ok – shame. Colour would have been a reasonable way of distinguishing between automation types.

I need to play with this some more. I would really like to come up with some rules about conversion between region/track based automation that I can rely on. :D

I need to play with this some more. I would really like to come up with some rules about conversion between region/track based automation that I can rely on. :D

It's not rocket science.

30 submenus and a few colors.

You can do the track automation by drawing it, or using a controller.

I like to call Region based automation MIDI Based automation.

You can copy and paste automation to different regions on the same track or to different tracks. To me, that is moving it.

If I want to Change (not really convert) the TRACK automation to REGION (Midi), I can use that poorly termed Move automation from Track to Region command.

What will happen is the viewable Track info will change to the midi info and a number will appear in the region. IF you had Hyper edit open with everything set up, you will see that the Region/Midi info appeared.

The Region/midi info is what you can Convert via the Convert command. This allows you to 'transform/convert' say fader volume (Control 1-7) to Solo (Fader 1-3) Or anything else. ( I think my numbers are correct)

And everything works the other way too. (It's all reversible).

I don't know why you would want to do that (convert) based on the relevance of what you did with the volume.

Track automation is okay, but I would rather have more control using the Region/Midi way. I use the Track ATM for something like a quick fade out on the output channel at the end of a song.

It's not rocket science.

Yeah – that’s the problem. There is logic in science, but not, apparently, in Logic’s automation.

I like to call Region based automation MIDI Based automation.

That’s where the problems start. With the Move Track Automation Data to Region based you can end up with automation in a MIDI region that are NOT MIDI data.

You can copy and paste automation to different regions on the same track or to different tracks. To me, that is moving it.

To me that IS copying it! After all, you have left the orginal intact by performing a “copy and paste.”

But nonetheless, I take your point. Copying or moving automation data of the same type is easy. I still forget to hold down that shift key while selecting though ☹

If I want to Change (not really convert) the TRACK automation to REGION (Midi), I can use that poorly termed Move automation from Track to Region command.

What will happen is the viewable Track info will change to the midi info and a number will appear in the region. IF you had Hyper edit open with everything set up, you will see that the Region/Midi info appeared.

The Region/midi info is what you can Convert via the Convert command. This allows you to 'transform/convert' say fader volume (Control 1-7) to Solo (Fader 1-3) Or anything else. ( I think my numbers are correct)

Yup – I agree with that.

And everything works the other way too. (It's all reversible).

Hmm no it doesn’t. That’s the problem.

I don't know why you would want to do that (convert) based on the relevance of what you did with the volume.

Track automation is okay, but I would rather have more control using the Region/Midi way. I use the Track ATM for something like a quick fade out on the output channel at the end of a song.

Ok fair point. I don’t know why either, I’m just trying to really learn how all this works and so far there are some inconsistencies. Hence, I don’t think it’s quite as straight forward as you say. :)

I'm not trying to sound argumentative! Just not agreeing 100% with what you said.

Many it is too much too remember.

Automate this, convert that... oopsss I forgot I had subtracks and deleted all my automation.

Crap!

I know some people like specific features in Logic, while some people like other features in Logic. I rarely use something like the Score section and I only know enough to do the basic things I really need to do. So I don't bother understanding it until I have the need.

I like Automation and I use it sparingly, but I will not devote my life to understanding every fine point. If it doesn't do something I need, I will start a search and possibly even ask a question. Otherwise, it is a hidden treasure.

Most of my automation is one way, meaning I will tell Logic to move Faders 1, 3, 6, 13, and 20 - Add some reverb on Aux3, Pan (or balance - ha ha) channel 16 to the right, and then jump to measure 83. I only have two hands, two feet, totaling 21 digits in all. So Logic can automate for me.

I don't send things out of Logic, like external keyboard bank changes and the like.

So I will use one method more than the other. It is all based on one's need.

I don't need every feature of the automation, it would be nice to know what's available. Until I find out what does and doesn't work, I cannot conclude that the book is wrong and that a process doesn't work when it really does.

It is confusing until you figure out exactly what it does and what you want it to do.

Yes it does work! I can write track automation, change it to Midi information, convert it to other midi information, and reverse the process. That works.

I can write the Region based (Midi) automation and change it over to track automation. Selecting what automation helps because Logic won't assume you want a specific thing.

It works whether you understand it or not. It hasn't failed me yet.

Many it is too much too remember.

Automate this, convert that... oopsss I forgot I had subtracks and deleted all my automation.

Crap!

I know some people like specific features in Logic, while some people like other features in Logic. I rarely use something like the Score section and I only know enough to do the basic things I really need to do. So I don't bother understanding it until I have the need.

I like Automation and I use it sparingly, but I will not devote my life to understanding every fine point. If it doesn't do something I need, I will start a search and possibly even ask a question. Otherwise, it is a hidden treasure.

Most of my automation is one way, meaning I will tell Logic to move Faders 1, 3, 6, 13, and 20 - Add some reverb on Aux3, Pan (or balance - ha ha) channel 16 to the right, and then jump to measure 83. I only have two hands, two feet, totaling 21 digits in all. So Logic can automate for me.

I don't send things out of Logic, like external keyboard bank changes and the like.

So I will use one method more than the other. It is all based on one's need.

I don't need every feature of the automation, it would be nice to know what's available. Until I find out what does and doesn't work, I cannot conclude that the book is wrong and that a process doesn't work when it really does.

It is confusing until you figure out exactly what it does and what you want it to do.

Hi Shiver

Yes, of course, you are right. You can definitely spend too long trying to work out how something that you MAY need works. I guess I was trying to save time in the future by knowing what Logic's limitatios are.

I don’t send things out of Logic either; everything is in the box as they say.

Yes it does work! I can write track automation, change it to Midi information, convert it to other midi information, and reverse the process. That works.

I can write the Region based (Midi) automation and change it over to track automation. Selecting what automation helps because Logic won't assume you want a specific thing.

It works whether you understand it or not. It hasn't failed me yet.

:D and that’s the important bit of course.

I have found a lot out by experimenting. I now at least feel confident that if I need to do a particular thing, then I have one method or another that will work.

tyronehowe wrote:

Inquiry Wrote:

Big usability issue.

Tyrone,

Autodefine for Hyper Draw (as opposed to in the Hyper Editor) works exactly as you first described it. It sequentially cycles through the CC and Fader events in the display. If the term confuses you, it automatically defines what is shown in the selected region's display.

I love this feature. But, if at times you find it a bit hard to tell exactly which CC you are looking at, simply Shift-Select some of the nodes displayed in the region and open the Event List (E) to get a clearer view.

Inquiry,

I've never used Autodefine like this and can't find reference to your method in the manual. Perhaps you're confusing the operation of Auto Define in the Hyper Editor and Autodefine used with Hyper Draw?

Tom

Autodefine for Hyper Draw (as opposed to in the Hyper Editor) works exactly as you first described it. It sequentially cycles through the CC and Fader events in the display. If the term confuses you, it automatically defines what is shown in the selected region's display.

I love this feature. But, if at times you find it a bit hard to tell exactly which CC you are looking at, simply Shift-Select some of the nodes displayed in the region and open the Event List (E) to get a clearer view.

Thanks again Tom. I like the tip about selecting a few nodes and using the Event List to see what you have. I see that the Autodefine “sequencing through the CCs” even works when you are on the Arrange page.

Inquiry,

I've never used Autodefine like this and can't find reference to your method in the manual. Perhaps you're confusing the operation of Auto Define in the Hyper Editor and Autodefine used with Hyper Draw?

Tom

Yes -- I was confused (testing with two events back and forth!) -- it is cycling. Not sure now it's switching you back to being able to draw MIDI CC in the Piano Roll reliably. Don't have time to investigate fully at the moment...

• 1 month later...

I guess this helps; Quick Guide to using a MIDI controller with Logic.

It's also topic on this cool blog which someone posted at lph; Gaining Control Of Your Plugins. Blog writer writes; "The great thing about this is, you only have to set this up once for each plug-in and Logic will remember the controller assignments as part of your preferences."

So, how this works in use ?. Eg. can i have let say 16 fader controller (like Control Freak Studio) controlling 16 parameters on each synth (instrument track) ?. Meaning, i could control 16 parameters on every synth i load different instrument tracks ?. Though, then if i want to control effects also things get complicated :).