Logic and FF800 - Got Issues?

I'm getting random yet regular "error synchronizing audio and MIDI" errors with L8.0.2 and my FF800 even under minimal loads*. Anyone else here having similar problems?

* minimal load = 4 stereo stems playing back with channel EQ on 2 track, one Space Designer, and a bit of volume and send automation.

Thanks DK. Unfortunately rebooting doesn't seem to solve the problem. Last week I called the tech support guy at the RME distributor here in the US about this and they said it's a Logic problem. Hmmm... Makes me want to go back to using a PCI-based system (like my old MOTU 2408) which never exhibited this kind of flakiness. Sigh...

I'm getting random yet regular "error synchronizing audio and MIDI" errors with L8.0.2 and my FF800 even under minimal loads*. Anyone else here having similar problems?

* minimal load = 4 stereo stems playing back with channel EQ on 2 track, one Space Designer, and a bit of volume and send automation.

Hi ski.

Are you having this on every project or just in this one?

If you want you can send me the projectfile and I can try it here on my system.

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the reply! I'm having this problem on every project.

Recently I transferred the project described above -- created on my Quad & my FF800 -- to my G4 Powerbook using a rental FF800 and the supplied cable (which seemed perfectly fine by all appearances). The same random glitches occur(red). However, when I switched to "built-in audio" as the audio driver, the glitching never happens.

Also, thanks for the offer of running one of my project files. I'll post one soon.

I was having TERRIBLE issues with this and an RME MADI-Face. I manually deleted the midi driver in /Library/Audio/MIDI Drivers as well as the mixer and settings apps and reinstalled the RME drivers. Not an issue since. Note that I DID NOT repair permissions before or after trying this. I would try this and be sure to be logged in as an admin, not just authenticate as one when you do. Also, a temporary fix seemed to include changing my audio sync settings in the logic prefs (might be in project settings) to "Free or external"... not the best, but it worked in a pinch with clients in the studio... Good luck, let us know.

Thanks for the tips BMD!

Couple of questions...

A lil' factoid: I'm not using FF MIDI at all. That being said, when you say you deleted the MIDI driver and then re-installed, did you just re-install the MIDI driver or the entire FF software software installer?

Also, I have only one account on my system. Let's call it "Ski", and that name is listed as an Admin under the accounts pane in System Prefs. How do I login as an admin as opposed to logging in as "Ski" w/authentication?

Hi,

do you have an AirPort (or similar) - or any other background tasks (spotlight indexing, backups, searching for updates etc) active ?

What are your I/O buffer size and I/O Safety buffer settings?

+1 here,

L8.02, FF800, MBP 2,2 ghz.

Random problem, with some sessions, sometimes...

Have you ever tried to send MTC to the FF800 midi port 1 ?

(project preferences>sync>send MTC to...)

I can remember I got that sync error fixed by using this.

Guys, thanks for the input, much appreciated.

I've got the latest software updates for the FF, and currently I'm running it off of the Mac's own FW connection. Since it takes at least an hour or so for the problem to arise I'm going to test this setup for a while and see how it goes before doing anything else. I'll also check the FF settings to ensure that it's at the same rate.

Thanks again.