Global Chord Track. Aargh?

ski

Tinkering around with the global chord track for the first time and I can't make sense of its behavior. At all. Looking for confirmation of the following behaviors or some just plain consolation (or both! ;) ):

1. The global chord track and transposition tracks are intrinsically linked, so there's no possible way to get Logic to analyze the chord content without also creating a transposition track. What the... ?? And you can't manually delete the data in the transposition track without deleting the chords, and vice-versa. Questions: what's the sense of chord analysis resulting in a transposition track? What's being transposed? The sound of the music doesn't change when this occurs (I'm not using apple loops), yet there's all kinds of data in the transposition track...

2. If you decide to delete those chords and/or transposition track's data, ALL note events in ALL MIDI tracks are transposed by the amounts originally shown in the the transposition track. This has the potential to completely re-write your music. O...M...G...

Now, this won't happen if you've enabled the "no transpose" function on all instruments before you delete the chords from the global track, but it might be the only solution if you're too far into your editing to use UNDO to remove the data. Or you could just leave that data there I guess...

3. In the score editor there's a function called "Insert Chords from Global Track". In one example, I have a single note E which gets analyzed as "E no3". Regardless of how I edit that chord name (by 2-clicking on the chord name and editing the parameters), it displays as "E no3". This is also regardless of whether or not "Change Display Only" is checked.

4. To edit a chord name in the score editor, it's necessary to 2-click on the lower LH corner of the root. Double-clicking anywhere else results in what you see in the screencap below

Is the design of this chord track thing just beyond my level of comprehension, or is it just fubarred? Or... could this whacky behavior be a PPC thing?

1492423172_Picture6.jpg.e2cf4ea0ed41b53dd22445b052bdbd78.jpg

bizzare. I L8.02..there's a 'Change Display Only' checkbox under the Analyze button in the Global Tracks view. That seems to solve the 'instant transpose' issue.

The only solution I found to #3 was to go back into that Analysis and change the Chord Type to Major so that it reads out properly. Notice the 'Change Display Only' checkbox in THIS window as well???

1463633410_Picture111-10-24.jpg.897d040c6987c4581470f20a6a7b8576.jpg

453622781_Picture1.jpg.5e603915b1edaa1f02de081bb3f3e884.jpg

Roger Wilco that.

I admire your courage to boldly go into an area of Logic that only old military acronyms will satisfactorily explain. I tried using these said features upon their implementation and was throughly confuddled as well. At that point I abandoned interest as they are features that I don't use anyway. I thought it was a snafu rather than fubar as this was in the early stages - and some features were not quite ready for prime time. Now that the features have been around, maybe fubar is a better description.

All acronyms aside, I'll try to check it out on my intel laptop and see if it's the same behavior - assuming someone doesn't post on it before me.

Thanks for the replies, guys. I just double-checked the behavior that Dave G suggested, checking the "change display only" function before doing a chord analysis, and by gum it created a global transposition track anyway.

Funny thing too... after messing around with that function I'm having very bizarre behavior wherein hitting UNDO after editing some notes results in my global tempo track going awry (events disappear and SMPTE offset changes) as well as my markers having disappeared too... Oh wait, now they've changed to scene markers where before they were just locked markers... Oh gawd... Maybe it's time for me to trash my prefs. Yeeeeouch.

yikes!! Yeah...I'm not having ANY of that stuff...granted, I don't have a Tempo track with changes, or markers, or anything like that.

I simply wanted to create a lead sheet of sorts and have Logic try and figure out what the hell I played.

:)

Is Logic 9 ready yet?

Dave's tips are good ones - they all work.

I just tested on my intel laptop and the behavior is the same as described regarding the transposition track being affected. I had the "change display only" box checked in both the global tracks and define chord box as well as individually checked. All situations resulted in a construing of the transposition track if I change the root, but no affect if I change the quality (major to minor for example).

I've done a lot of lead sheets etc. over the years - I've long been proficient at using the chord entry method in the score editor. I'll stick with that, thank you.

So, in my opinion, the snafu is fubar.....

Oh yeah, no wacko behavior on the tempo or marker tracks - but no data was on either one. Regarding marker tracks, I've had weird things happen to them regularly enough that I take advantage of the alternate tracks and duplicate my markers on a second track for safety.

• 11 months later...

I thought the chord track was only for SHOWING the chords being used.

One simple click on the 'Analyze' button just destroyed (PERMANENTLY)

a very valuable performance.

I can't see a way to disengage the chord track's changes.

Is there a way to kill the chord track and to get back the music

that was there before pressing 'Analyze' ?

• 2 years later...