MTC in logic

alegere

i just purchased a CME UF6 MIDI controller. it has the usual (midi-transmitting) knob & fader banks, but it also has dedicated transport controls. Interestingly THE TRANSPORT CONTROLS TRANSMIT MIDI TIME CODE. I noticed an MTC pane in the preferences window in logic (preferences>MIDI>sync)..... I dont know anything about MTC and so im askin'

can anyone help me out? is it even worth trying? these buttons are really cool and id like to use them.....

p.s. one of the knobs is a "tempo" knob - it transmits MTC also. Any info on this would be appreciated but im really focused on the transport controls

im trying to use the transport controls on my midi controller to control logic's transport. thing is my controller uses MTC for its dedicated transport controls. i dont know how to implement this.

ive read about others trying to assign using the usual methods of key command and learn new assignment - to no avail.

OK I've never used those keyboards, but MTC has nothing to do with transport controls. MTC is MIDI TimeCode, its role is to synchronize machines. Unless you want to use some kind of arpeggiator in the CME and have it synced to Logic or something like that, there's no reason to worry about MTC.

MMC maybe? That's MIDI Machine Control, and that's what is used for transport controls.

from the manual:

4.1 Sequencer remote control

There are 6 sequencer control buttons. When the UF keyboard

is connected to a computer, you can use those buttons to send MIDI

sync commands, to control PLAY, REC, F.F., REW etc... in the music

software.

4.1.1 The 6 buttons are: Top Rewind Forward Record Stop Play.

Hints:

1.Those functions need software support, and you must make the right setup in the software before you can use those buttons properly.

2.If you press one of the 6 buttons after the keyboard is powered on, the keyboard will start sending MTC(MIDI timing clock). To stop sending MTC, press "Reset" compound, or just turn off then turn on the keyboard.

3.When push the record button, it will send sysx. Some music software does not fully support the sysx for Recording, so please be careful using this function.

im kicking a dead horse here, but if anyone can help me out here, it'd be great! if i got this working, would logic be slaved to my controller? would this be more / less stable than just using logic without sync? is it simply impossible?

• 1 year later...

Hi,

Have you managed to get it working?

I have the same keyboard and same issues.

I can clarify a few things:

MTC is NOT transmitted by the transport controller. These buttons merely initiate the sending of MTC (which is controlled by the Tempo knob)

To make logic respond to the keyboards tempo, you would have to set it up as a slave. Haven't had any success (nor desire) to do that so far.

The Buttons output some mixed messages :

FastRew: Song position Pointer 0 0

Rewind: Song position Pointer 0 0

Forward: Song position Pointer 16 0

Record: Sysex (Universal Realtime 6 bytes), Song position Pointer 16 0

Stop: MMC Stop

Start: MMC Start

I getting only the RECORD-button to work (Which sends sysex). No response on the other buttons.

Based on the info in both of your replies, the situation is clear as mud (and not due to any fault of your own). I'll try to decipher it for you tho...

First of all...

MTC = "MIDI Timing Clock"? Bwah-ha-ha to the Chinese-to-English translation of the CME manual. MTC is an acronym for MIDI Time Code, nothing else.

MIDI Clock is another thing altogether and is never abbreviated MTC. In fact, it's never abbreviated. It's just plain ol' "MIDI Clock". Now...

Since the CME allows you to set a tempo, that suggests that it is indeed capable of sending MIDI Clock. But Logic will not slave to MIDI Clock. The Logic boyz, to the chagrin of many, killed off that feature in Logic 8. :evil: Yes, they are evil. Yes, they gave us flex time but still, because of this they are evil. Doesn't stop me from using the program though. But I digress... :roll:

Next...

The RW and FF buttons output Song Position Pointer (SPP) commands. That's another indication that the CME is capable of outputting MIDI Clock. SPP is never associated with MIDI Time Code.

So to me there's no indication that the CME can send MTC. If it did, you'd be able to slave Logic to it. And in short, I don't think you guys will be able to do what you want to do, mainly because Logic won't respond to MIDI Clock.

XD thanks Ski,

of course it's MIDI clock, sorry for the MTC rubbish...:oops:

slaving logic's tempo is not required for me, but I'd like to use the CME's transport buttons (outputting the above mentioned SSP msgs) to control logics transport...

CME's support is virtually non-existent, user forum defunct....

Hope someone can help me out here...

greets

Thorsten

:D

Just to clarify, it wasn't you who said MTC = clock. If you look up a few posts, alegere transcribed what the manual said. Seems that the manual is wrong.

I was very interested in buying a CME keyboard at one time, but as you pointed out, there is no support. They had a huge problem with their keyboards in that the black keys would not output velocities greater than 118. I posted on their forum repeatedly and no one from the company ever replied. So while I absolutely loved the feel of the keyboard (I think it was one of the something-80's with weighted action), the velocity problem was a total deal killer.

Anyhoo... SPP can't be used unless it's in conjunction with MIDI clock. Even if, for some reason, Logic still responds to SPP, all you'd be able to do with that is set a bar position in Logic, but you wouldn't be able to then run Logic from that point because it won't react to incoming MIDI Clock (which I'm assuming the CME in fact outputs).

About the only thing I can think of is to assign some programmable buttons on the keyboard (other than the transport buttons) to Logic's key commands for play, stop, etc.

• 1 year later...

hi!

Sorry for my bad english !

if i can still help someone (one year later...) with the CME UF serie and the assignement to logic transport, fader, and plug-in parameter

all of this can working well and simply, except some times the rewind key???

ask me !

• 1 year later...