If CDs behave like DVDs...

...They would start with commercials for other CDs.

...It would take you forever to reach a 'menu'.

...You would have to sit and wait while listening to overlapping samples of each song on the CD, passed thru delay, phaser and all sorts of cool effect processing.

...The CD would then pause and wait for you to decide whether you really want to listen to it? Or if you were just kidding.

...Upon pressing play again, you would have some more song samples with really modern sounding panning effects and swooosh kinda sound effects.

...You would then hear some Public Service Announcements on the dangers of pirating music, or downloading music illegally. There would be no way for you to fast forward those tracks (obviously if you downloaded music illegally you wouldn't have to go through all that).

...You could then shut down your car engine: you've finally arrived at your destination. But...what....what about the songs on the CD? Hey, you got to hear samples! And swooshing sound effects going left to right, right to left, and left to right again!

...On your way back you could listen to all the outtakes where the singer was pitchy, the emotion wasn't there, and sometimes they would even add special tracks for the crappy songs that didn't make it to the real album.

Now can you imagine if everything behaved like DVD do? Your cell phone? Your house? Your car? Your computer?

How does everybody put up with that crap? I hate DVDs with a passion. I just want to see a movie!!!

True!

It's like Paypal. Do you use paypal? You pay them fees on every transaction, and yet they give you a splash screen with an ad everytime you login.

I think I should charge users to use this forum and force you guys to watch soap commercials before you can ask your question. What a great business idea!

i think if audio programs behaved like DVD's (or paypal for that matter) everytime you loaded a plugin in an insert you'd get a splash page "RCompressor brought to you by Coca Cola" but i'm sure they'd be nice enough to include a "skip this ad" link.

haha....maybe the boxes that software comes in will soon be draped in ads, like a stock car.

"Logic Pro 8.0, Skoal, Tide, ..."

I see... but i have to say, with DVD's we have all trailers and pub, yes, it's horrible, but we can "jump" it, several years ago we had same thing with VHS tapes and it was really awful, we can't do this magical "jump" with a VHS player... anyway, it's industry and bussines...

Well but see, I'm not so sure: with VHS you have play, stop, pause, fast forward, fast rewind, and it always works.

With DVDs there's so much stuff you actually can't jump (at least here in the states): dancing menus spoiling the movie for you, FBI and piracy warnings in all languages, disclaimer about opinions and views shared on the DVDs....

That's what's driving me nuts: I paid for my DVD player, I paid for the DVD, and now I have to sit there and watch stuff I don't want to watch. I don't have control over the damn machine. It makes me mental.

It's much faster for me to startup my Windows PC (which is slooooow like there's no tomorrow) than to get to the first picture of a film with my DVD player.

That is why I transfered all of my DVD's into high quality MP4s. Now when I want to watch a movie it's as simple as clicking on the file name, and there are no menus or previews to take away from my movie watching experience. Not to mention I can just transfer the files to the laptop and take my DVD collection with me!

I wish I had time to transfer all of my dvds, but that's not really an option with 1 toddler and 1 infant at home. I barely have time to pee. :lol: There's got to be a better way; a newer technology to come out soon hopefully.

Dream

Maybe I can put one of my interns at the studio on it.....Yeah! That's what I'll do.

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone!

When I'm not in the mood for advertisements and PSAs, I usually just hit the "Title Menu" button, then play...But you still get the 5 second themes for the distributors and studio....

Hmmmm. MP4 may be the way to go...but you still have to go through the trouble of ripping it.

It's a stumper.

X

• 2 weeks later...

the whole ad thing in general is sort of a paradox for me-- i hate all the advertising that i'm immersed in daily- but i sure would take a job from one of those companies if they wanted me to...

"sure, i'll do that Mr. 20th Century Fox/Coke/Acura/SlimFast/Clear Channel..."

I want to be all "punk rock- fight club" but i know i'd love to do music for a car commercial... :( and if it ended up on a DVD- i wouldn't argue! :wink:

-(call me sellout)

• 8 months later...

hardcore, David.

respect. i guess i would have to think it over, depending on the company-- it's just i haven't made hardly any $$ with music yet, so my standards are pretty low. i mean, it would be sweet to produce, do a film score, etc.. but if i got paid to do a commercial, and then got noticed and was able to do the stuff i REALLY wanted to do because of it, i think i'd be ok with that...

so- why is clear channel way worse than the others for you, D?

I think I should charge users to use this forum and force you guys to watch soap commercials before you can ask your question. What a great business idea!

in all seriousness, I think you SHOULD have a 'make a donation/paypal' link on this website. It cost $$ to host these things/server space, maintence, etc..

I have donated to a number of forums as a 'sponsor' (AVS, etc..) Maybe you could offer discounts to forum memebers (or start getting other sponsors...software vendors, etc.) to offer additional discounts to LPH.com 'memebers'.

nothing mandatory, of course...but it might be a good idea..

I certainly will never work for Clear Channel. I don't know about the others, but Clear Channel, never ever in this life.

amen brother!

DVDs dont bother me too much as i can get through the junk pretty quickly by hitting the next Chapter button. i go to the movie theater though and by the time the previews and commercials are done i cant remember what i went to see.