Time And Pitch Machine Greyed Out

chimp

Hi guys

I'm not using MP3s or Apple Loops. The audio file I am using is Aiff.

In sample editor, the Time And Pitch Machine is greyed out. Infact all the Digital Factory Processing tools are greyed out.

I repaired all disk permissions, checked my audio file to verify it was 'read and write' and even updated to Logic 8.02 but to no avail!

Whats going on guys??

Hey chimp.

I think the time machine functions are destructive so logic wisely restricts these functions to recorded sources (in my experience). If your trying to manipulate a sample, record it from a line out to a line in. That way you have a piece of audio that is destruct-able. Make sense?

whospilgrim, thanks for the info man.

I dunno why I want this audio tool to work anyway as its a heap of sh*t!

Why have logic included this again?

I guess its for all those that don't have melodyne or any other audio stretching software.

But seriously, all these Digital Factory tools are rubbish!

Unless you guys are using them in ways I'm unaware of?!

Not sure about that whospilgrim... When this happens I think you're looking at a bug. I get this from time to time too (and it's not just the time/pitch machine that's grayed out). Speaking of which, can you post back and let us know if any other sample editor functions are grayed out as well?

Ski, I reckon its to do with where you save your audio file. I was trying with a file on my desktop and it didnt work. When I loaded a diff file from the audio bin, everything was sweet.

If its a bug, it still hasn't been addressed in 8.02

Maybe its a desktop thing.

There's a better way to time stretch if that is what your trying to do. Just hold in alt while extending the region from the bottom right corner.

For pitch changing I believe there are a couple of pitch plugins in logic to play around with.

If sampling is what your doing, it might be beneficial to become handy with the exs24. I call it the virtual mpc, although pad heads would quickly correct me...

Ski, I reckon its to do with where you save your audio file. I was trying with a file on my desktop and it didnt work. When I loaded a diff file from the audio bin, everything was sweet.

If its a bug, it still hasn't been addressed in 8.02

Maybe its a desktop thing.

That's great info, thanks! Next time I run into this problem I'll keep that in mind.

I tried a different file on the desktop and this time it worked fine.

I dunno, its quite tempremental!

I saved a section of a longer audio file, saved it to my desktop as an aiff, tried loading it back in to use Time and Pitch. This is when it was greyed out

• 9 months later...

Original file's permissions and location on disk are reasonable ?

I get this sometimes too, can't see the reasoning. It works after converting the file/region to a new audio file.

And to chimp, you weren't around when Emagic implemented T&P, so i'll fill you in on that. It was at maybe Logic 2.0 or something. It was never the best-of-all timestretchers/pitchshifters. It works well on some stuff on not on other. It hasn't been updated/worked on in ages, but it was there when Melodyne et al were merely a glint in their respecitve fathers' eyes. So, that's why Emagic have included this. I for one don't have Melodyne and partially thanks to T&P have so far managed to get by fine without it, although I realize that Melodyne main application is a quite different one.

Christian

Hi FF,

Thanks for your reply.

Original file's permissions and location on disk are reasonable ?

Yes, repaired permissions, checked them again. I think they're OK.

I get this sometimes too, can't see the reasoning. It works after converting the file/region to a new audio file.

Will try that. Thanks much.

• 5 months later...

I, too, was having issues with grayed-out functions (in Logic 9). I was trying to use Reverse but the others were grayed out, as well. After finding and reading this thread, I came on a fix. Here is what I did:

• Deleted the region

• Deleted the track

• Saved my project

• Closed Logic

• File was in MPEG-4 (m4a) format so I converted it to MP3 in the Finder

• Re-opened Logic

• Dragged the new MP3 file directly from the Finder into the Arrange window

Everything works now!