transform note-off to note on in logic 8

tomwacker

Hello everybody,

here´s my little problem :

when working with logic´s ( vers. 8 / latest ) EX sampler, samples triggered by note off are limited to a max lenght of 1000 msec.

As this won´t do for my purpose, I´ve been thinking of ways to work around this bug. My idea is : let´s say i have sample "A" triggered by note-on on C2, and I want sample "B" triggered by note-off on the same C2, is there a way to transform the C2 note-off to a C5 note on ??

The transformer tool doesn t seem to be able to do the job, as it does not distinguish between note-on or -off.

Any ideas of how to do it ?

Thanks a lot in advance.

[ Scroll down for updated versions ]

Yes, there's a way to do it. But it's complicated. Note-off (NoFF) handling in Logic is very tricky. Rather than explain all the why's and wherefores, I've attached an environment for you to check out. Some features...

• The slider lets you set how many semitones of offset there are between the note you play and the note that's generated upon NoFF

• I've programmed things so that the new note you generate has the same velocity as the note you played

One problem remains: how to generate the NoFF for the note that you're generating... But play with this and see how it goes. Gotta run...

NoFF Handler (Ski v.1).zip

279117254_Picture3.jpg.8e746551bf091bb1cc29df5ac1e235f6.jpg

Edited by ski

Hello everybody,

here´s my little problem :

when working with logic´s ( vers. 8 / latest ) EX sampler, samples triggered by note off are limited to a max lenght of 1000 msec.

As this won´t do for my purpose, I´ve been thinking of ways to work around this bug. My idea is : let´s say i have sample "A" triggered by note-on on C2, and I want sample "B" triggered by note-off on the same C2, is there a way to transform the C2 note-off to a C5 note on ??

The transformer tool doesn t seem to be able to do the job, as it does not distinguish between note-on or -off.

Any ideas of how to do it ?

Thanks a lot in advance.

C2 note-off to a C5 note on ?? Is that a typo or what?

Well, the OP was saying that the max duration of a one-shot sample is 1000 ms. I assumed this was true. That, combined with his goal -- to convert a note-off to a note-on -- requires a lot of programming to overcome that 1000ms limitation. True, if you follow what I've done, it's a little bit more complicated than a simple note-off to note-on conversion because I added some additional features (like the variable transposition and the ability to impart the note-on's velocity to the note generated from the note-off). But regardless, the only way to make a note-off do something in Logic other than turn notes off requires separating it out, converting it to a CC (or other non-note MIDI message) and then converting that back to a note.

Well, the OP was saying that the max duration of a one-shot sample is 1000 ms. I assumed this was true. That, combined with his goal -- to convert a note-off to a note-on -- requires a lot of programming to overcome that 1000ms limitation. True, if you follow what I've done, it's a little bit more complicated than a simple note-off to note-on conversion because I added some additional features (like the variable transposition and the ability to impart the note-on's velocity to the note generated from the note-off). But regardless, the only way to make a note-off do something in Logic other than turn notes off requires separating it out, converting it to a CC (or other non-note MIDI message) and then converting that back to a note.

Right - but not sure how that addresses my last comments? :shock: :? Or.. maybe this wasn't addressed to me. :lol:

Oh no, it was addressed to you alright... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

:lol: ...OK, perhaps I wasn't clear enough, so let's hit CMD-Z and start again... :lol:

First of all, I checked it out -- and indeed key release samples can only last for a max of 1000 ms.

I thought about using a delay line, but the problem with that would be never quite knowing exactly when a note-off was going to be generated. So a delayed note-off could potentially cut off a currently playing note somewhere down the line.

I tired out my lil' scheme and it works nicely, save for the fact that, er, um, there's no way to cut off the note-on that's generated from the note-off. Simply put, the generated note sustains forever. Maybe the group ENV offsets can be used to create an envelope that holds for ony a certain length of time and then releases, but I haven't tried that.

Curious, though, how would you imagine this working, with the goal being to be able to have key-off trigger a sample that lasts longer than 1 second?

Here's a quick fix:

I added a Delay Line to the original note-off message and hooked it up the the 'Offset Fader'. The length of the delay will determine the length of the triggered note. So you'll need to chose a length and stick with it, or throw in a cable switcher with a few different delay lines connected. Oh and of course you'll need to have the sequencer playing.

NoFF Handler (Ski v.2).zip

Yes, there's a way to do it. But it's complicated. Note-off (NoFF) handling in Logic is very tricky. Rather than explain all the why's and wherefores, I've attached an environment for you to check out. Some features...

• The slider lets you set how many semitones of offset there are between the note you play and the note that's generated upon NoFF

• I've programmed things so that the new note you generate has the same velocity as the note you played

One problem remains: how to generate the NoFF for the note that you're generating... But play with this and see how it goes. Gotta run...

Thanks a lot for your lenghty reply. I´m in a hotel room right now and could check out your environment only on the capskeyboard in the environment window, and it does the job. As I only want to trigger a one shot sample with note off, the lenght isn´t any problem at all. Nor do I have any velocity issues, as I only use fixed velocity for my purpose.

The only thing that made me scratch my head is, the EX keyboard, that opens up in the edit window doesn´t seem to go through this nice line of transformers. Just an environment cable issue I guess. I´ll check it out, once I´ve my USB-keys attached.

Thanks a lot again. This environment of yours sure looks like a lot of brain-work beeing done.

Funny enough that a small little thing like note-off triggering should need such an arsenal of transformers to work.