Hard Drive Rec. - RAID or no RAID - that's the question

Yes, it's as fast as a two internal drive RAID 0 or 1. Keep in mind that the RAID 0, which is faster than a single drive, only offers half the reliability of a single drive. RAID 1, which is as fast as a single drive, offers twice the reliability of a single drive.

However, the LaCie is too pricy. You can build a 1TB RAID 0 solution out of an enclosure such as this: http://cooldrives.stores.yahoo.net/dudralenfors.html

and a couple of 500GB drives such as those: http://shop1.outpost.com/product/4551377

for less than the price of the 500GB LaCie. Think about it!

PS: as far as reliability, I have had more luck with systems I build myself like the one I described, than with pre-built systems such as the LaCie.

Thanks for those two web links. Will get those drives instead. Would you recommedn RAID 0 to store your samples even though it is not as reliable? But then again, RAID 0 is as reliable as a single drive. Either it fails or it doesn't...

Btw, how do you connect that drive to the G5 ?

Sorry had to go... let me explain.

A two drive RAID 0 depends on the two drives. If one of the drives fails, the RAID fails and you lose your data. If the probability that one drive fails is p, then the probabity that both drives fails is 2p.

So let's say there's 1 chance in 10 that your drive will fail within a year. That's 2 chances in 10 that the RAID will die within a year.

On a RAID 1, you need both drives to fail for the RAID to fail. The probability that the RAID will fail is therefore p/2, or 1 chance in 20 that the drive will fail within the year.

Anyway, RAID 0 is great for read-only applications such as sample libraries since you usually have the original DVDs and maybe a backup as well so the data itself isn't too sensitive, but you want the speed. The added benefit is also that now your logic songs will open much faster.

Thanks for all this - your posted links sound really good though... I might think of buying those and let you know how things are going...

ALSO, how do you connect the drive to the MAC ? I never had such a drive...

----

ALSO, let's assume you ONLY want the drives to backup your projects. Would that be a too expensive solution? Would you recommend hot swappable slower drives (maybe Firewire drives)? Usually I never touch the project data once a project is mixed and mastered - sometimes there are 20GB or more per project to backup. I just want to store thosedrives in a shelf... :)

---

ALSO, let's assume you ONLY want the drives to backup your projects. Would that be a too expensive solution? Would you recommend hot swappable slower drives (maybe Firewire drives)? Usually I never touch the project data once a project is mixed and mastered - sometimes there are 20GB or more per project to backup. I just want to store thosedrives in a shelf...

• 7 months later...

Oldish topic but hate to start a new one since info is already here...

David, in your opinion, if I have a Mac Pro with 4 internal 500gig drives, how would you best configure them?

I was thinking of raid 1 - 2 drives each so 2 raid 1 - but that seems like a real waste of space.

I was also considering raid 5, but I'm hearing it's rather slower.

Right now I just have 4 separate drives:

1- system

2- audio files (this is where logic writes audio tracks to)

3- samples

4- photography

(I use 2 external firewire drives for backup of internals)

I was wondering if I went to raid 5 if I would gain anything besides the obvious failsafe the striping would give me, or would I lose performance and would it really matter. I would also get about 1.5TB of storage. The thing is that I'm always told keep the system drive separate from Logic for speed's sake...

I can't decide what to give up :)

Thanks in advance again.

R