External Midi Instruments: Loop Record Bug? Stuck Notes?

JaeOne3345

First off. I am using a Penryn Mac Book Pro (June 2008), M-Audio Midisport 2x2 Anniversary Edition midi interface, and a Duet. Buffer set at 128.

I know how to set up external midi devices in audio midi set up just fine. I can also properly select midi devices from the Library Browser after I created an external instrument track. No issues there. They trigger and play just fine.

My samplers, which are basically holding one shot sounds (drums, sample chops) etc have no problems.

My devices which rely on note off messages are really ticking me off. Both my Microkorg and my Motif ES will have stuck notes at random when I use cycle/loop recording.

For example: I have a 2 bar loop in cycle record mode. When the loop finished the 2nd bar and loops around again, it's like Logic is not sending a note off message on the "turn around" leaving the last note before the "turn around" stuck and hanging.

I have tried all of the chase settings under the Project Settings/Midi/Chase menu with no improvement.

I really don't think it is the midisport interface because I use the same interface in Pro Tools, and pro tools can loop my external synths perfectly fine.

BTW: No problems when using internal plug in synths in the same manner.

Thanks for any help!

I really wanna make this work, but if not, back to my hardware sequencer I go!

Major Bug in Logic Pro 8.

Ive been experiencing this for a while, got a ticket open with apple support but no fixes from them.

You would think such a great midi sequencer wouldnt have such a big bug but it does.

For now my workaround is using the Capture as Recorded feature which doesnt hang the external synths. But this really needs to be fixed. Almost tempted to go back to pro tools now their on version 8.

I guess they only tested Logic with AUs and not external synths...

Are there any *certified trainers* with external gear who can duplicate this scenario of sequencing an external synth/module using the cycle/loop record function? Or are there just a select few of us who maybe have something set up wrong?

I appreciate Colonyrecords' response and am hoping a Logic trainer can chime in on the issue.

Nobody really ever followed up on the old posts.

Perhaps they can be the voice to get this info to the Logic developers.

If it doesn't work, I'll count my losses and move on. I just wanna know for sure before making such a drastic decision.

Hi Guys

I have just run a test of various "loop in record" using external K2000. I chose long sustain sounds.

I set up a four bar loop and chose: arrange>settings>Recording>MIDI-Overlapping Recordings-Create Tracks in cycle record mode.

To break the system I held notes across the cycle function so no note off could be sent.

My LP8 is working fine.

I also chose >create tracks and mute in cycle record mode

None of my tests could hang the K2000 with stuck notes.

I checked the event list and it seems that held notes have had end point set at end of cycle so LP8 is adjusting held notes to fit cycle point.

Sounds like an external gear problem.

Not sure if I have helped with your enquiry?

Cheers

I just tried your method and it produces the same results. :(

I doubt it is a gear issue (maybe midi interface) because this happens on my korg and my Yamaha synths. This also works perfectly in Pro Tools 7.4.

My friend has the same problem with his Dave Smith Prophet, and an SE SE-1.

Hi Guys

As asked I tried in Merge Cycle record mode.

I ran three external synths on four bar loops: K2000, JV1080, M660

I recorded single sustain note per cycle - I deliberately held notes after cycle jump. I just can't duplicate your problem - no notes are hanging. My notes just merge on cycle record to create chords.

I checked in the event lists and LP8 is shortening notes to cycle length. However, unlike old versions of Notator I don't see any note off data only VEL off at end of cycle.

However, the C-Press data is still recorded on next cycle.

i have tried the same with the Note chase settings but these have no effect - LP8 shortens note to cycle end point.

I am using MOTU MIDI Express 128 for routing.

This does not really clarify your problem. Sorry but i can't make LP8 hang my external gear.

Cheers

I've reproduced this problem on 3 different computers running Logic pro 8 (my macbook pro, a two other of my friends mac towers).

^^^^ You don't have to sustain the note to test, just play as you normally would. On the cycle loop the first note of the bar always hangs when using external midi gear. It doesnt matter where the cycle is in the project, on the first loop it hangs the first notes.

Ive been on the phone with apple support for weeks who ultimately gave up and said he forwarded the ticket to development (basically I don't know, your screwed).

It wont hang if the Logic is in "Separate Takes" cycle mode but that work flow inst useful to me. Only thing i can do is use the Capture as recorded feature.

I really wish apple would fix this problem, really f**ing frustrating.

Geez, What a load of BS this is!

I can understand some of the more advanced functions needing to be worked out but sequencing midi? Come on already! LOL. That's a basic bread and butter function in my opinion.

I've really lost faith in Logic being touted as superior in regards to midi.

Hi Guys

I have tried this in all forms but can't make LP8 hang notes.

Can you describe your workflow and setup and I will try duplicate. Maybe there is another setting that is causing this?? But I can't think which one.

Or upload a file and I will import and see what it does to my external gear.

Cheers

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Are you serious?

Garbage.

My partner and I got so fed up we have to sequence the external devices in PT8 or on our MPC's. They perform the job flawlessly though.

I don't understand how such a basic task keeps getting brushed under the rug.

Yup still there, what even more weird is that more people dont complain about this. I think we are the few people still using external synths, plugins seemed to have taken completely over...

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi Everyone,

My first posting in the Logic forums so I hope it ends up in the right place.. I found this thread because I was having the same issues, stuck notes using Logic Pro 9 with a Micro Korg. My audio Interface is an M-Audio Firewire 410, running Snow Leopard.

I was not able to resolve the problem with any software settings in Logic, however When i switched to using my M-Audio MidiSport 2x2 USB for sending the Midi signals instead of using the firewire 410 i no longer had any issues with stuck notes. This leads me to believe that this stuck note problem could have more to do with the interface you are using and possibly how busy the unit is sending and receiving data.

So Now i'm using the Firewire 410 only for audio in out, and have the USB Midisport 2x2 dedicated to sending Midi information. Its possible that stuck notes may not be a Logic Issue, but rather the hardware being used to transmit the Midi signals.

hope it helps anyone out there experiencing the same problems.

I've been having hanging notes from my JV-2080 via the MIDI output on my Focusrite Saffire. It's currently quite low on the list of niggles I have though, especially given the pain of defining an environment (OK two) for patch selection. Mostly now I just record it as audio. I've discovered life's too short to chase every little annoyance.

• 2 months later...

Anyone found a solution to this problem?

I'm using kontakt and have the same problem wether using a multi timbral software instrument, or an external instrument with 16 tracks/channel routed to kontakt.

I can't believe logic has this kind of problem.... this is simply ridiculous....

• 1 month later...

I can confirm that M-Audio FW-410 has some problems with stuck notes, and it's not a Logic issue, but probably a software driver problem.

I tried recording or just playing some notes and chords on my master keyboard with Cubase and also Reason passing out all midi events through the midi out of fw-410 and my synth expanders played some random notes or didn't get "midi note off" event.

In the fw-410 there is a small button if you depress it, the midi out of the interface acts as midi trough, so every event coming in the "midi in" input, is repeated on the "midi out" through hardware internal circuits of the interface. In that case all works fine, but if you "midi trough" by the software driver (with Cubase, Reason, Logic etc.) it doesn't work.

This is for me a software driver issue of the interface, not a fault of Logic or other applications! :(

I think the only solution is to update installation drivers of FW-410 with the latest version available and if it doesn't work, use another midi or usb master keyboard, so spend extra money :( :(

• 8 months later...

Upgraded from 10.5.8 to Snow Leopard last night to see if that would resolve the issue. Now running 10.6.6 and Logic 9.1.3, guess what same bug..

I really need to get to the bottom of this, is the a Macbook pro issue??

I find it hard to believe that all Logic Pro users cannot record a simple Midi Loop in Cycle mode without Logic hanging notes of external synths. Its like Logic isnt sending note offs when in cycle record mode..

Does anyone record to external midi modules in Cycle record mode????

I'm seriously looking into cubase 6 at the moment because most of the sounds I use come from external synths, Motif XF, Radius, command station etc..

This is so annoying, can anyone help....

For troubleshooting I took my sound card ( maudio 2626) out of the mix by disconnecting it.

I basically just have the Motif plugged into to the macbook pro via USB cable to transmit midi to logic and back.

I deleted novation AUTOMAP server from the system to see if that was the issue.

I just simply cannot record in cycle mode to external midi without stuck notes after the 1st cycle. Every time I have to double click the midi out in the transport to do a midi panic.

I have deleted preferences, re=installed logic and now upgraded and still have to issue.

The only workaround is to set the option " Create tracks and mute recorded track" when in cycle mode, which isnt a good workflow.

I have protools and cubase AI on the same system and they dont have any issues recording in cycle mode..

Some please help before I go crazy lol....

I've found the solution of stuck notes recording MIDI with FW-410 M-Audio.

It was a cable issue, and that behavior was due to a long firewire cable (2 meters long).

In other words, when I've changed the firewire cable connecting FW-410 to the computer, with a shorter one (less than 1 meter) that problem has been solved!

It was difficult to understand because the long cable was (electrically speaking) "correct", and that connection was working fine just listening to music and audio tracks through the audio output of FW-410. Only midi events recorded by a midi master keyboard were a bad issue!

So I suggest to use a short firewire cable or a quite good long connecting cable!

It was a cable issue, and that behavior was due to a long firewire cable (2 meters long).

In other words, when I've changed the firewire cable connecting FW-410 to the computer, with a shorter one (less than 1 meter) that problem has been solved!

It was difficult to understand because the long cable was (electrically speaking) "correct", and that connection was working fine just listening to music and audio tracks through the audio output of FW-410. Only midi events recorded by a midi master keyboard were a bad issue!

So I suggest to use a short firewire cable or a quite good long connecting cable!

Thanks for the suggestion but I my case i completely turned off and disconnected my profire 2626. I used the bultin soundcard and plug my motif xf into the laptop via midi for notes. Used headphones connected to the Motif XF to listen to the results. Logic hangs midi notes on cycle record.

So do you think its the m-audio souncard causing the problem even though its disconnected?

Thanks for the suggestion but I my case i completely turned off and disconnected my profire 2626. I used the bultin soundcard and plug my motif xf into the laptop via midi for notes. Used headphones connected to the Motif XF to listen to the results. Logic hangs midi notes on cycle record.

So do you think its the m-audio souncard causing the problem even though its disconnected?

I don't think so, and I have no answer for your issue, since I've just figured out what was my hangin notes problem, on my setup.

If you can record midi notes without hangin notes with other sequencing software with the same setup, it seems the problem concerns Logic and it might be its configuration files.

You have written before that you have resintalled Logic, and that problem is still there. Did you delete Logic configuration files before the new installation? Those files are under Library/Application Support/Logic

I don't think so, and I have no answer for your issue, since I've just figured out what was my hangin notes problem, on my setup.

If you can record midi notes without hangin notes with other sequencing software with the same setup, it seems the problem concerns Logic and it might be its configuration files.

You have written before that you have resintalled Logic, and that problem is still there. Did you delete Logic configuration files before the new installation? Those files are under Library/Application Support/Logic

Thanks for the tip again, I'm willing to try uninstall reinstall again, this issue is a real problem for me. You mentioned configuration files, what specific files should I delete after dragging the Logic Pro Application Icons to the trash?

Thanks for the tip again, I'm willing to try uninstall reinstall again, this issue is a real problem for me. You mentioned configuration files, what specific files should I delete after dragging the Logic Pro Application Icons to the trash?

You should delete the logic folder (and thus its subfolders included) in these two differente places:

- your mac hd/library/application support/Logic

- your mac user/library/application support/Logic

consider that your mac user is under mac hd/users folder

So try to delete these folders, and Logic and other logic related apps from applications folder on your mac, and reinstall it.

Good luck!