issues (bugs?) with folders

majool

Anyone else finding folders to be buggy? Not take folders, just plain old folders.

I love using them, but i keep finding they act strangely.

for example:

1 - soloing one folder often times solos several folders despite the fact that they are completely unrelated and nothing is grouped.

2 - when resizing a folder and then gluing it together with another folder, the hidden regions from the resize get un-hidden and placed on top of whatever you're gluing to. in other words, the behavior is incorrect and messy.

3 - looping folders and then turning loops to real copies often results in overlapping regions

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I've stopped using them.

I had 3 projects corrupt because of the way the folders were acting up. Once they start going haywire, it seems like nothing can be done to make them behave.

Pity.

Could you elaborate on the symptoms of the corruption?

I've also experienced my first unrecoverable "Damaged Project" in Logic in years. This was also the first project in which I began extensively using Folders.

These were the symptoms as I reported at the time, sure to strike fear in the heart of any Logician. Take a stiff drink before reading:

"A Logic project now refuses to open properly. Logic immediately gives a "Damaged Project" warning upon attempting to open. If one clicks past this, one is greeted with a further dialogue about "Minor Repairs" with the option to fix. If one fixes, then the project opens with empty tracks. If one chooses not to fix, then the Track Folders appear, and many empty tracks assigned to "no output". The Folders are still empty."

Oddly, I was able to open the project on a G5, but not on the Mac Pro. Both systems had identical versions of OS, Logic, plug-ins, etc. Still, the fact that it was the Folders which were so adversely affected makes me wary of using Folders further.

I've stopped using them.

I had 3 projects corrupt because of the way the folders were acting up. Once they start going haywire, it seems like nothing can be done to make them behave.

Pity.

Could you elaborate on the symptoms of the corruption?

I've also experienced my first unrecoverable "Damaged Project" in Logic in years. This was also the first project in which I began extensively using Folders.

These were the symptoms as I reported at the time, sure to strike fear in the heart of any Logician. Take a stiff drink before reading:

"A Logic project now refuses to open properly. Logic immediately gives a "Damaged Project" warning upon attempting to open. If one clicks past this, one is greeted with a further dialogue about "Minor Repairs" with the option to fix. If one fixes, then the project opens with empty tracks. If one chooses not to fix, then the Track Folders appear, and many empty tracks assigned to "no output". The Folders are still empty."

Oddly, I was able to open the project on a G5, but not on the Mac Pro. Both systems had identical versions of OS, Logic, plug-ins, etc. Still, the fact that it was the Folders which were so adversely affected makes me wary of using Folders further.

Well.. No "Damaged Project" warning for me.. You must have a Posh version of Logic with Manners Mate! Maybe 8.0.3? Haha! :D

Nah.. As I said.. Mine just started acting up. Similar to you.. The "No Output" tracks remained after the folder was repacked. Its OK packing them in the 1st place.. But dont dare unpack & repack again. Thats when the trouble begins.

I was using the folder for Midi files / Grooves. I also tried "housekeeping" by organising the Drums into 1 folder / Bass sounds into another etc.. That was a disaster too.

I ended up having to delete all the No Outputs. Then Logic started going mental. It was almost as if there was an extra ghost track somewhere, that was not on the Mixer or arrange page.. which was playing random notes. These were similar to a Plugin Synth sound that I was using - But this was definitely not playing.

With every channel on the mixer muted.. it was still happening & with NO level being registered on the Master Output. Mental. :?: :shock: :D

I've also noticed this happening from time to time with Ultrabeat. Sometimes it goes all "ghosty" and starts playing a sound that has been deleted. Even when the project is reopened, its still happening. I wonder will Logic 9 be any better. A Mate of mine who is a Beta Tester said that they were looking into it - Or at least it was discussed with his contact at some point :roll: - SO time will tell I suppose.

Best course of action.. Save / Save / Save - every single step of the way with different names - "My Song" - "My Song - 1" - "My Song - 2" etc.. If & when the Sh*t hits, you've got something half intact to fall back on.

This is very troubling to hear.

Just to clarify the matter.. are we talking about issues with Logic 8, 8.0.2 or 9 sessions.

I ask because Folders have been sorta broken since ver 7 and the bug carried over to 8 and 8.0.2. I would be disheartened to hear it has persisted into ver 9.

Can the posters please post back what version and OS the had the corruption?

Thanks

MH

My problems with Folders were experienced under Logic 8.02. Always with the latest Mac OS (I believe it was 10.5.6 or 10.5.7 at the time).

I haven't run into problems yet on Logic 9. However, this situation does not mean that all is well, since the corruptions are intermittent and unpredictable.

Any other users with positive or negative experiences using Folders to organize projects, please add your experiences. Perhaps we can get to the bottom of this, or at least make sure Apple is aware of the extent of the problem.

It does seem a bit of a warning that none of the included Logic demo projects use folders at all.

I've got Studio - 8.0.2 Running on everything to 10.4.11.

Yeah.. Its annoying to say the least. Interesting that they've been ****ed since v.7. I thought it was something that I was doing wrong.

Ah well... :(

PIty that v.9 doesnt have a "Saved" user defined Groove template section.. Thats why you need a Folder full of Midi's in your Autoload.

Maybe sometime in 2012, eh? A year after after 9.0.2 gets released. :roll: