Logic 9, G5 macs and Trilogy

kwackman

As suggested, this is a new topic after it started in the "logic 9 is a Universal Binary" Thread.

So, there are at least 3 G5 owners who own Logic 9 and Trilogy.

We have Logic 9 working OK, it's Trilogy that is causing a few problems.

Story so far......

Dare I say, dare I say...processor utilization looks far more distributed across the 4 cores on my Quad. Things almost look in sync.

Running Trilogy under PPC on Logic Pro 9...seriously, how funny is that?

Hey Damian,

I've an issue with Trilogy.

Using a couple of old projects, Trilogy won't sound.

The track DATA shows MIDI, but no audio out of the channel.

If I open Trilogy and click on the preview note, it plays fine.

If I go into the piano roll editor and click on one of the noted there, ir plays it.

It just won't play when in play!

I might try starting a new project and see how I get on.

Otherwise it seems to run fine on my G5.

Thanks for your previous postings- you're the reason I'm £159 poorer now!

Cheers.

Im unable to get trilogy to play in L9 it was fine in L8 in tiger 10.4.11 on dual ppc g5 1.8

l recently tried what kwackman did and found the notes do play when clicked in piano roll which is great news and will play from keyboard but not when sequencer is running l was considering rolling back to tiger and Logic 8 .as sorry as l am l cant function without Trilogy [ damn you eric persing for turning me into some Trilogy dependent crackhead ].

The news that it does play a sound means that there maybe hope for me in L9 yet so if anyone has any suggestions as to what l should do then this trilogy crackhead is going to get himself into rehab straightaway is trilogy working for others .

I am going to do a complete re-install tonight so any suggestions let me know

Thanks

Before you do that, you might want to check your applications folder.

If you upgraded, Logic 8 will still be in there, and you get Trilogy back.

On 10.5.7 Logic will tell you that Trilogy fails the AU test- just click ignore.

Roll on Trillian or whatever the new one is called!

Unfortunately I'm not able to replicate the Trilogy issues kwackman and kidscussi are experiencing. I've got a project open, have just instantiated Trilogy, and I am able to successfully play notes both with and without the transport bar moving.

I wish I could be of more help on this one. Perhaps a new thread should be started in order to get the whole community of Trilogy users involved.

Indeed, the AU validation could be a likely point of confusion for many people. Just because Logic tells you that you can't use an AU doesn't mean you can't go in and manually select it. It took me a while to figure this out...I had already resigned to using other synths for my bass sequences.

Ref your last post Damian.

Trilogy will fail the AU check is Logic 8 if you are running 10.5.7

I've been using it like that for a while.

Can I just double check- you have a clip with midi notes in it, and it is playing through Trilogy for you? I'm so jealous if you have!

Very interesting...I was able to replicate the issue. Basically, all of my LP8 projects with Trilogy MIDI sequences load and play correctly in LP9.

The problem happens when making new Trilogy recordings in LP9. The confounding issue is that the track meter responds but the channel strip meter does not. To me, this confirms that the MIDI data is being read but is not being routed through the synth.

So yeah, we look to have an issue with MIDI routing into Trilogy...hooray :/ Maybe we can get a workaround in place. Why do I enjoy this type of stuff when I really should be making music?

The confounding issue is that the track meter responds but the channel strip meter does not. To me, this confirms that the MIDI data is being read but is not being routed through the synth.

But, in the piano roll editor the notes will play if you click on them- implying the midi data IS being routed through the synth?

So, what does the midi editor do that the arrange page doesn't?

So close.....

Here's a quick workaround. Unfortunately, it doesn't involve MIDI it relies on Bussing and an Audio Track

1. Create an Audio track

2. Route the Trilogy Channel output to Bus 1 (or whichever you prefer)

3. On the new Audio track set the Input to Bus 1 (or applicable)

4. Record enable both tracks (this will allow you to preserve the MIDI data)

5. Hit record

6. Play to your heart's content

7. Stop recording and review your masterpiece

8. Add garnish

Trilogy, Atmosphere and Stylus are not passing the AU once I upgraded to 10.5.7.

Got this response from Spectrasonics

Go to Logic's AU manager and check the Atmosphere or Trilogy plugin- this will generate a failed report.

Keep checking it until the check sticks, and click OK.

At that point, you'll be able to open them under the (Incompatible) heading, but remember to click Ignore whenever Logic starts up.

Logic 9 isn't supported on PPC Macs, so unfortunately, those plugins won't work this way in Logic 9.

Three days trying to sort this.Its now so bad that l cant intall Logic 8 as L wanted to see if Trilogy would work in L8 on OS 10.5,7 .But now lm not able to install L8 it loads l untick mainstage /soundtrack pro/ and jam packs and content so as to do quick install it says sofTware successfully installed but all l can find in the apps folder is L7 and not a sign of L8 l have tried with and without L7 xskey plugged in no joy.

Have tried to trash receipts no joy .

Tried Damians workaround of bussing trilogy to audio track but problem L9 is that Trilogy wont play at all when in play mode . Am l going to have to do complete wipe and re-install any suggestions as lm getting desperate .

Cant install Logic 8 !!!!!

Heres an update have managed to reinstall LOGIC 9 seems to be fine but lm hoping that theres a fault with my L8 disc if theres no problem with L8 disc then have four choices .

1/ work in L9 with no Trilogy and wait till Trillian in Oct means l cant open and work on previous stuff without having to replace bass sounds.

2/Flatten G5 and do complete reinstallation of L7 the L8 and see if trilogy is still working in L8

3/Roll back and re install Tiger 10,4.7 and get my life back together. and wait til oct

4/ Go out and buy a new intel mac

• 2 weeks later...
Trilogy, Atmosphere and Stylus are not passing the AU once I upgraded to 10.5.7.

Go to Logic's AU manager and check the Atmosphere or Trilogy plugin- this will generate a failed report.

At that point, you'll be able to open them under the (Incompatible) heading, but remember to click Ignore whenever Logic starts up.

Logic 9 isn't supported on PPC Macs, so unfortunately, those plugins won't work this way in Logic 9.

This method worked fine for me. Just installed Logic 9 and Trilogy on my PPC 2.5 Ghz Dual G5!!!

This method worked fine for me. Just installed Logic 9 and Trilogy on my PPC 2.5 Ghz Dual G5!!!

I did this & it does now shows up In Logic 9 i can also trigger it with the caps lock to play its sounds but it will not be triggered from my piano roll so it will not play my riffs etc anyone having this problem to?