Logic Equivalent of Sibelius "Live Tempo"

LogicControl22

I have seen this in Logic and I've followed the steps in the manual, but I've never gotten it to work like "live tempo". I know many other users who have expressed problems getting this feature to work as well. Others have told me it really just SETS the tempo for a song and wasn't intended to be used for tempo recording.

David, could you possibly explain how you use logic's "tap tempo" to make tempo recordings like Sibelius's "live tempo"?

Ah, perhaps this is because:

Note: Only the selected software instrument track, and all external MIDI tracks, can play when the Tempo Interpreter window is open. (pg 652).

When I tried a moment ago, I had a midi track selected that didn't have notes until bar 12.

Although while I am tapping tempo, I don't have the Tempo Interpreter window open...I am in manual mode with record.

Very interesting post.... This is something I could really find useful....

Sometimes I pull a track from another artist into the arrange and spent hours beat mapping to get the groove.... then I create another song completely using the natural time changes in the original song to work the groove...... EX. I opened a David Axelrod song over to the region.... David Axelrod is incredibly groovy.... and all recorded live....way back in the 60's... I spend a few days beat mapping.... Play live midi drum parts over it.... Quantize....and wammo.... a super groovy track..... It would be bad ass If I could listen to the song and Tap in the groove live....get it pretty close..... and somehow use the transients of the Axelrod tune to tighten it up.... Make Sense?

Werd.

Maybe i am confused but if Sibelius is doing it in a way that you can playback the score, then simply tap a tempo in real-time while hearing that actual orchestration why couldn't Logic do that? It is exactly like conducting the real orchestra with a tap of your finger on a key.

It seems 8 can't do that, but can logic 9 do this? Seems odd that you would just sit there tapping a tempo yet having absolutely no music to go with it. That seems bass ackwards. I want to actually hear the affect it's having on my performance so I can create a real feel to the music. I ordered my copy of Sibelius 6 last week for that feature and the magnetic layout feature. Am I one of the only few who even see this as a very beneficial feature?

Perhaps it's gimicky but it seems useful to me and I can't wait to try it out on Sibelius 6 (or Logic if someone proves it can be done the same way).

Maestro2be

I would say yes to that Ski (with a slight I am not sure). Here's what I mean.

It does work in rewire mode now with Logic but I haven't tested how it would act if you had say a few "analog" tracks in logic already, then did the "live tempo" in rewire mode. I am not sure what would happen then.

However when just dealing with Sibelius in stand alone mode, it only affects its score which is nothing but midi data. No audio tracks.

Maestro2be