External Module Sound List Questions? [SOLVED]

jmd87

Hi,

I'm new to Logic have setup the midi and audio etc etc but now run into a few problems!

In Cubase SX3 (PC) I created a Lot of device lists. These consisted of Rolands JV-1080s own internal sounds and also about 10 expansion cards. Now that toook me AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGES to input all these. So is there away of getting them into Logic pro 9?

Also When you assign a Device like GM or Logics JV-1080 preset it does it for the whole midi output device rather than just a single midi channel. Is there away of say link JV-1080 to midi channel 1 and then a roland piano module to midi channel 2 etc etc?

Many thanks

Joe

Edited by jmd87

In Cubase SX3 (PC) I created a Lot of device lists. These consisted of Rolands JV-1080s own internal sounds and also about 10 expansion cards. Now that toook me AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGES to input all these. So is there away of getting them into Logic pro 9?

CherryPicker:

http://www.alterspective.com/cherrypicker/

will load your cubase patch lists. You can copy them there, then paste it into your multi-instrument object in the environment.

Also When you assign a Device like GM or Logics JV-1080 preset it does it for the whole midi output device rather than just a single midi channel. Is there away of say link JV-1080 to midi channel 1 and then a roland piano module to midi channel 2 etc etc?

When you create a new multi-instrument object in the environment, click only the channel numbers that you want enabled. If you've configured the devices in OSX's Audio MIDI Setup, then that will translate into Logic when it creates the instrument objects automatically.

Hi!

Thanks alot for the reply :)

When I say im new to Logic I mean Im NEW!!!! lol I have it setup with audio and Midi but when you say about Event lists etc you lost me!

I have bought the book that the chap that owns this forum has written but hasnt arrived yet!

Many thanks

Joe

• 3 weeks later...

Hey,

sorry to bring this back up but I have tried this add no matter what I do I can't get the flaming file to load. I Exported the file in xml from cubase sx3 and went to cherry picker and I just can't load it into cherry picker at all :(

Can you help please?

Many thanks

Joe

Ahrite yeh thats easy :)

The problem is cubase exports the midi systex code(i think it is the name) that controls the patch changing on the roland JV-1080's. No in logic i can get it to change with its own built in logic JV-1080 ptach bank thingy but In all 8 of my JV;s i have expansion cards. These codes cubase export have the code to change the the expansion card. At the moment the logic jv patch bank won't change to an expansion card it only stays in the units patch banks :(

Is there away i can right these midi codes in? even if it means doing it manually agian?

Thanks alot david for your help :)

Joe

hey,

I use combinations of these cards (some i have 2 of)

SR-JV80-01 - Pop Exp. Board

SR-JV80-02 - Orchestral Exp

SR-JV80-16 - Orchestral 2 Exp

SR-JV80-10 - Bass & Drums Exp

SR-JV80-11 - Techno Exp

SR-JV80-12 - Hip Hop Exp

SR-JV80-13 - Vocal Exp

SR-JV80-15 - Special EFX Exp

SR-JV80-19 - House Exp

SR-JV80-05 - World Exp

Dance Exp - I can't find the number as this card was stopped due to infringement or something :S

Hope that helps :)

thanks you again!

Joe

I believe you'll find some multis for some of those expansion card in our template forum (I programmed a few of them myself) but not all - you'll have to program the others yourself.

Basically you need to find out exactly what data you need to send for each sound (Bank change MSB, LSB, and Program change #), and enter those in a multi in Logic. You enter Bank change MSB and LSB by selecting your multi in the environment and choosing Options > Define Custom Bank Messages...

Hey,

I've been looking around the template forum and can't seem to find any expansion cards :( I tried the search but I can only view one page of search results if I go to page 2 or 3 it pops up saying there's no search criteria so I don't get very far with that haha :)

Many thanks

Joe

I am on the same boat, now is my 3 week on LOGIC 9, and believe me.. i can be more happy since i move from from DP 6, everything its working great on LOGIC.. yes, everything !!!

Also my learning curve its very easy thanks to the friendly help of the people on this forum..

The only thing i really miss from DP, its the easy way to import patch names..

You can find a lot of patch names inside DP ..

i have Triton Extreme, Triton Rack, Motif Rack ES, JV1080 (Orchestral, session, world) and i am still looking for some free time at my short days to find this patches over the web, edit and feed my LOGIC with this names.. i hope our friends from Logic make this setup easy in the next updates.

Edited by moya

hey,

Well Once I know the outline of how to do the JV expansion cards and change to the card in logic I'll put them on this site to help people (with names and everything!) But I can't find it It doesn't seem to be as easy as cubase was for adding external sound module lists

jmd,

There's nothing mysterious about creating a multi-instrument set in Logic. As David mentioned, simply pasting the patch names into the list works fine. In your Roland manual, it should specify which type of bank change message is required and the controller numbers needed to change to those banks.

I never had a 1080, but assuming it's similar to the JV2080, it needs a 0-32, (MSB-LSB) format with the values specified in your manual. With these in hand, select your multi-instrument object and choose "Define Custom Bank Messages..." from the environment's Options menu. For the 2080 it looks like this:

jvbanks.jpg.65f62a217832961cd6f367c9b6860f9d.jpg

Hi!

I think I understand :) So would this cover the expansion cards as they are the real issue im having? Also when calling up an expansion card it has a code (eg 17544 and then expansion b is 17545 etc) is this able to be put into logic?

Sorry if im beginning to get annoying with the questions!!!!

I think I understand :) So would this cover the expansion cards as they are the real issue im having?

Of course.

Also when calling up an expansion card it has a code (eg 17544 and then expansion b is 17545 etc) is this able to be put into logic?

What has a code?

OK, I downloaded the JV1080 manual from Roland's FTP. Page 79 has all the info you need. Here's a pic of all the data you'll need to configure custom bank change messages to select patches.

Note that nobody can know except you which cards are plugged into which expansion slots.

JVPatchselect.jpg.23a8c62800532f1eb2573fddae09d638.jpg

Hi,

I'm really sorry but I'm gonner have to ask for help please :(

I've spent the last 2 hours trying to figure this out and haven't got it to move the expansion boards yet.

I'll tell you what I've done so far.

I created a multi instrument in the environment and right clicked and gone to custom message like you said and go a similar thing to your screen above. Now I've fiddled about for ages trying different settings by taking what I think is right out of the Roland manual as you said but I get nothing :( I've attached the multi instrument to my JV out channel in the arrange window it plays all the in built sounds on the JV when I intialize a bank. I get as far as the 5 bank and it won't skip to the cards :(

Now if this is any help heres the Roland JV card codes:

Exp. Board Patch MSB LSB PC MIDI Bank Select

SR-JV80-01 1-128 89 0 1-128 11392

SR-JV80-01 129-131 89 1 1-17 11393

I can't figure this out at all :S Usually I'm ok at this stuff and pick it up quick but not in this case!!!! and i feel bad asking so many questions

Thank you for your help fader!

Joe

ah thats what I did so i may have connected it wrong.

To get to that bank do I do this:

select that instrument as a midi output (say its called jv1080 on channel 6) then double click to open where the instrument names are of that bank the select bank 8 from the drop down list then initialize it?

And to select the next bank I call it bank 9 and it changes it to next card?

Many thanks again and sorry if this has been "painfull!"

To get to that bank do I do this:

select that instrument as a midi output (say its called jv1080 on channel 6) then double click to open where the instrument names are of that bank the select bank 8 from the drop down list then initialize it?

Please try to frame your questions in the context of what you're trying to do. I can't tell if you're asking how to select a patch or how to configure a bank's patch names.

From scratch in 10 easy steps:

1. Create a multi-instrument.

2. Name it JV1080.

3. Click on all the channels on the multi-instrument to enable them, (since the JV is multi-timbral).

4. In the instruments parameters, set the port to match where it's plugged in on your interface.

5. With the instrument selected, Options->Define Custom Bank Messages...

6. Since there are 15 banks, click "Create" and click "Controller" 30 times to create 30 controller messages.

7. Config the first 2 messages for bank 0, the second 2 for bank 1, etc. When finished with all 30 messages, close that window.

8. Double click the instrument to open the patch name list. Select Bank 0. Paste in the patch names for that bank. Select bank 1 and paste in the Bank 1 patch names, etc.

9. Note that the bank will be named after the first patch name in each list, so if the Pop card is in expansion D, and the Pop card has 2 banks, then you might want to name the first patch of its second bank something like "Pop2-Patchname" just to make things easier.

10. Save this instrument in your project template. From a MIDI track, you can select the bank and patch from the Inspector.