Change a scale using the Transform Function??

The Rumblist

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to change MIDI pitch data using the Transform so that i could try different scales? For example, if i record some MIDI notes in using the C major scale, could i use the transform function to change these to a C Minor scale? There doesnt seem to be a preset to do this in Transform, so would i have to use the map function to create each scale and save as a custom preset?

I know Cubase had a function similar, where you could try out a number of exotic scales just with a couple of button presses. While i know my scales and could do it by hand, it would be nice to automate the process.

Many thanks in advance! :-)

There's no easy way to do modal changes in Logic after you've recorded something. But there's a semi-simple way...

Select one example of each note that you'd want to change. For example, if your piece in C contains an E, A and B, select one instance of each of them (use Shift). Then use the function "select similar events" and it will select all other E's, A's, and B's in the region. Then grab any one note and shift them all down a half step. Or, use a key command, "event transpose -1". Voila, major to minor.

There is another way to do it, and that's by using a lil' thing called a Chord Memorizer. You can do realtime modification of notes ("note remapping") using this method but your region will always reflect the original notes. Here's the gist of how you'd set this up:

• create a chord memorizer

• max out its upper and lower limits (it defaults to C2 // C4)

• program the chord memorizer to map E to Eb, A to Ab, and B to Bb. You only need to do this in one octave, the rest will be taken care of automatically

• cable that to the instrument and then assign the chord memorizer to the track instead of the instrument

Now when you play back the track, it will remap ALL E's, A's, and B's. But again, the notes in your region will reflect the original pitches.

http://home.arcor.de/fuzzfilth/Other/mod.png

You choose the root note and choose the mode from the flip menu. Then you can play every mode in every key from the white keys only. Which key is bent to what key is displayed below.

I initially created this to be able to do harmonically correct harp sweeps on just the white keys.

Christian

• 1 year later...

fuzzfilth, I'd like to drop a belated BIG thank you into this thread, this is a wonderful environment. Now everything I play sounds like complicated longe jazz (until i hit a black note - haha!) :)

a quick question. i love this thing and would like to have it as an option in all of my templates for reharmonization. does anyone have an idea of where i could find a tutorial that would allow me to add this to the environment of another template? i would like to use it to affect all the midi input info on the software instruments..

is this even feasible? i am a bit environment phobic, and therefore am next to useless with it.. i have not yet sat down to learn the thing properly!

thanking you for any and all information :)

once again, a wonderful little thing it is..

affect all the midi input info on the software instruments

Make that two separate things and you're in business.

affect all the midi input info

Use it the way it is patched in the Modulator project, between PhysicalIn and SequencerIn. This will change everything you actually play and record it changed.

midi info on the software instruments

That's a different story. For this, you need to route the note data on a track into the modulator and then to the actual instrument which turns it into sound.

Option-drag the Modulator module on the Environment window. This will duplicate it. Rename it to something you can relate to later, like Modulator>Noseflute.

Now drag a cable from the small triangle top right to the actual software instrument you want to hear. If you can't see that instrument on the current Environment Layer, open a second Environment window, choose the correct Layer from the popup menu top left and then drag the patchcord between both windows. Finally, right-click on the trackname in the Arrangement and select Modulator>Noseflute as the track instrument.

Repeat this for as many instruments as you like.

Christian

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
This link isn't working anymore. Could someone please put it back online or email it to me? Thanks.

You should ask the original person who posted the link, fuzzfilth, and he hasn't been seen around this neck of the wood for quite some time now. Maybe click his Profile button and see if you can reach him through his links?

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...