Get Logic to read audio files moved to external HD? [SOLVED]

venusdemilo

Hello, this is my first post - been a follower on these forums for seven months and find this site a great resource since acquiring Logic earlier this year (coming from cassette 4 tracks and the BR8- bit of a learning curve!)

Have searched for this topic here but I've not been able to find it...

I have been storing projects on a 500 GB external drive and now want to free up more disk space by moving the Audio folder from my internal drive to the external. Question is what else do I need to do so that Logic can find the files? I read somewhere else online that I just dump the Audio folder into the Loop browser from the external drive and that's it, and then read some conflicting info on additional steps involving aliases...what is the proper way to do this?

Or alternately, is there a better way to free up disk space than moving the Audio folder? By this I mean moving big files Logic uses- I've already purged a lot of what I don't need on the internal drive, disabled dashboard, etc....

Thanks in advance,

Madeleine

Can you tell us how big your internal drive is, and how much space left you have on it. Why do you want to move the "audio folder" and by that do you mean all factory samples and apple loops?

It's important to understand that moving factory content increases your chances of running into all types of issues later on, so you only want to mess with that factory installed stuff if you absolutely have to.

Hi David, thanks for the reply. The capacity is 74.21GB and I have 30.31 available since moving the audio folder onto the external drive (before that I had 1.2 G). The audio folder in question contains folders for loops, presets, midi drivers, sounds, impulse responses, etc)

I dont care which folder I move really, can easily move the audio folder back if it's going to create issues as you say. I just would like more space on the mac HD and thought I would try to do this by putting big files on the external drive. Am open to other suggestions. Havent tried compressing unused apps, maybe that would help?

I see.

OK then do this:

1) Drag the folder containing your apple loops onto the Loops browser, and choose to reindex them in their current location.

2) Setting files are tiny, I would leave the setting files where they were on the internal drive.

3) Option-Command-drag sampler instruments to their original location on the internal drive to create aliases pointing to the files on your external drive.

the sampler instruments are still there in the original place in the library, never moved. they were not part of the audio folder

everthing appears to be working except the midi driver for the keyboard, not getting signal. i'm not sure why that would stop, i did create an alias on the main drive as the midi drivers were also on the audio folder. tried downloading the driver again to no avail. not sure what i'm doing wrong :(