Apogee ensemble versus rosetta

Hey,

I was considering getting myself some nice converters to compliment my motu 828 mk3 card. I was looking at the apogee stuff along with mytek, lavry, lucid and the ssl alphalink. I was wondering if any of you have any thoughts in the conversion quality of the apogee ensemble in comparison to the rosetta stuff. I know the ensemble can run stand-alone and is cheaper than the rosetta stuff so is there some sacrifice in terms of conversion quality?

Thanks in advance,

Phil.

The Ensemble is a computer interface, whereas the Rosetta is just converters. If you don't need the computer interface part of the Ensemble then buy the Rosetta if you can afford it but be sure you will be able to get that digital signal from the Rosetta into your computer.

I love my Ensemble and have a Rosetta 200, honestly I have not felt the need to do and A/B between the two but I do use the Rosetta for the D/A conversion out to my monitoring system and use the A/D over the Ensemble whenever it's an option. The way Apogee designed the Ensemble to work with Apples built in audio drivers is great, whatever program I have in the front of the screen is what is played through the ensemble, whether it is Logic, Wave Burner, Itunes, some quicktime file, etc.. It is truly amazing in this regard and sounds real nice to boot.

Hey,

I was considering getting myself some nice converters to compliment my motu 828 mk3 card......

Thanks in advance,

Phil.

In term of conversion Rosetta its ahead Ensemble.

let me understood, you only worry about good converters ? so, you don't need extra channels right ?

I can't understood how are you going to compliment 828 with apogee's converters but I suggest you to take out 828 and buy Ensemble.

ENSEMBLE, with logic is solid as rock !!

IMHO The Rosetta is a higher end unit...but for what you say i thing you absolutely doesn't need a Rosetta unless you are really going to be using rosetta to it's fullest potential.

With the ensemble, you would have great pre's, top conversion, and all the i/o you need.

• 3 months later...
ENSEMBLE, with logic is solid as rock !!

IMHO The Rosetta is a higher end unit...but for what you say i thing you absolutely doesn't need a Rosetta unless you are really going to be using rosetta to it's fullest potential.

With the ensemble, you would have great pre's, top conversion, and all the i/o you need.

hey, i have a 828 mk3 as well, and I want to upgrade. I was thinking of getting an Ensemble.

Just want to know, if by getting an Ensemble instead of the motu 828 mk3 I'm really getting a considerable higher quality upgrade?...

help

thanks,

Jorge

Just want to know, if by getting an Ensemble instead of the motu 828 mk3 I'm really getting a considerable higher quality upgrade?...

Yes, you are. It's not like you're upgrading from a bike to a Ferrari, but you're upgrading from a volkswagen to a bmw. What I mean is you have a perfectly decent audio interface, but you'll be getting a better one.

Yes, you are. It's not like you're upgrading from a bike to a Ferrari, but you're upgrading from a volkswagen to a bmw. What I mean is you have a perfectly decent audio interface, but you'll be getting a better one.

This is not meant toward anyone personally, but I felt the urge to get on my soapbox for a bit. Think about everything in the audio chain as a pane of glass.

Recording room

Mic

Preamp

A/D converter

Mix engine/plugins/mixing choices

Final delivery format

Playback system & room

Layer all the panes of glass together, then look through them. That's how people will hear the recording.

When you buy a more expensive item, you are paying for some combination of:

1. Cleaner sound (more transparent glass, in the analogy)

2. A particular tonal coloring (tinted glass)

3. Fashion/status/brand name/bragging rights

Consider what the most "dirty" pane of glass is... If you upgrade that pane of glass, the whole picture gets clearer (and allow you to see clearly what the next dirtiest pane is). If you upgrade any other component, it will not make much difference. For most hobbyists or part time pros, acoustic treatment in the tracking and control rooms is usually the best value for money before upgrading equipment, in my opinion.

Please pass on the Auralex. Follow lagerfelt's advice in Good Sound Panels?

Thank you kindly, David. You're a life/money saver!

And Jorge/Anyone... is this a common issue with the 828? Or was this an unfortunate but isolated incident? MOTU's usually a good name, I can't see an interface of theirs having this issue with too many people, and them still being able to sell it as much as I assume they are...

And Jorge/Anyone... is this a common issue with the 828? Or was this an unfortunate but isolated incident? MOTU's usually a good name, I can't see an interface of theirs having this issue with too many people, and them still being able to sell it as much as I assume they are...

Biff,

For what it's worth, here's a link to a few reviews of the Motu 828 at B&H Photo in NYC.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/542938-REG/MOTU_4360_828mk3_FireWire_Computer.html#reviews

• 2 weeks later...

In that price range, MOTU, Presonus are two solid choices. FWIW I prefer the more robust build on the Presonus. On the other hand, MOTU users usually enjoy the incredible flexibility of routing their software and hardware offers. Then it comes down to matching personal needs with product features.

In the next price range, you get into RME Fireface 400, 800, or Metric Halo interfaces, which are definitely a step above - but so is their price.

• 1 month later...