LH/RH split keyboard?

woodenboy

Hi everyone

Just wondering if anyone could give me some guidance for how to set up an environment object to split the note range from an instrument object that is going out to two channel strips (i.e LH plays bass, RH plays piano).

I know I could do this by setting the key limit on the channel strip but don't want to do this as I want to use the channel strips across the whole keyboard at other times (it's a live performance environment I'm putting together).

Do I need to set a transformer to do something between the instrument object and the channel strip?

Thanks!

OK you may realise that MainStage is much better suited to what you're trying to do. It has very impressive floating split point capabilities (meaning that it detects whether you're playing with the left hand or the right hand, therefore you can play higher than the spit point with the left hand and still get the left-hand sound, or lower than the split point with the right hand and still get the right hand sound. Really impressive stuff, works great in the real world.

Otherwise yes, in Logic, you could cable a simple transformer with the following settings. Cable the top cable to the right hand software instrument channel strip, and the bottom cable to the left hand.

split.png.302a23cfdbd8a19047db987ceb49dd6d.png

• 1 year later...
Is there a way to pass control data Mod wheel) through this transformer object? It filters out everything but note data.

I would recommend first using a transformer to filter mod wheel data, and send that to both instruments. Then use another transformer to separate notes by pitch.

Let us know if you need help with that.

Both methods shown above are cabled directly to the software instruments so you can play the instruments but you can not record your performance cause the midi path does not reach the sequencer

Yes. When answering questions, we try to first make sure we understand the particular needs of the person asking the question. In this instance:

Couple of questions:

1) Is this purely for live performance or do you also want to record the MIDI performances at the same time?

Hi David.

1. This is purely for live performance... for a production of Rent.

For the sake of keeping this thread on topic I have edited out all the non relevant information in your posts.

• 1 month later...

Hi!

I've read all the documentation (manual and online forums) on splitting a keyboard but I've hit a wall.

Here is the current setup:

- one channel strip (in this case, electric piano) on channel 1

- a second channel strip, also on channel 1, but splitting the lower keys on my MIDI controller so that I can use them for a bass sound

- a third channel strip (an organ) on channel 2

- the 4th channel strip (drums) is on channel 10

here's my problem.

as I mentioned, I've tried to split channel 1 between an electric piano and a bass. I've set the lower-note key-range to something that makes sense on bass for left-handed playing. When record enabled alone, the bass plays fine. However, when any other track is record-enabled, its sound vanishes. There is MIDI going in, but no sound coming out. It also records to the wrong track . . . for instance, if I record using the bass channel, once I hit stop, the newly-created region remains on the electric piano channel.

In case it helps, I've attached the very simple template that I'm working off of here. Note that it is set up for two MIDI controllers to record/play simultaneously.

incidentally, I'm building this template for quick sketches. Once I have the MIDI tracks worked out, I will add an audio track for my guitar.

**Bonus points if you can tell me how to have Logic immediately quantize incoming MIDI. One of my other project files started doing that out of the blue, and I found it annoying, but in this case, it's exactly what I want.

****More bonus points for any cool, interesting tips/tricks that I might not have thought of! I hope to eventually use this template not only for quick sketches at home, but for live performance, where I can simultaneously record as I perform.

Thanks!

2_keys_drums_bass.logic.zip