Using Ultrabeat

yungskeeme

Hey guys,

Just signed up with the site because alot of good information here. I am using Logic 9 and I use the Ultrabeat for my drum patters. Only thing is when I load the samples, some of them sound like they are messing some of the sound. Is there a way to gate the sounds or edit them in UltraBeat? Have been trying to set up the Hyper Edit sequencer but cant get it from the tutorials ive read

so how would I set that up? Or is it better to use EXS24?

The answer to that depends on whether you're importing EXS voices into UB, or loading samples in UB's sample loader.

You need to add a half millisecond of dead audio to the beginning of your samples if you want to catch a fast attack in UB. That's 22 samples at 44.1k. You can use any sample editor you like, even Logic's.

The answer to that depends on whether you're importing EXS voices into UB, or loading samples in UB's sample loader.

You need to add a half millisecond of dead audio to the beginning of your samples if you want to catch a fast attack in UB. That's 22 samples at 44.1k. You can use any sample editor you like, even Logic's.

im loading drum samples (WAV) from my flash drive to the Ultrabeat

I dont know how to create the "dead audio". Can you explain it please?

I dont know how to create the "dead audio". Can you explain it please?

To create an empty audio file, mute your stereo output channelstrip, set the locators to say, 1 or 2 bars, click bounce, name the file Null Stereo and check Add to Bin. Now change the output channelstrip to mono, click bounce and name it Null Mono.

Load the one of the correct format in the sample editor and select 22 samples. Copy. Load your drum sample and set the cursor to its start. Zoom in and if there's already at least 22 samples of silence at the beginning, then do nothing. If the attack starts right away, paste in your 22 null samples and save.

Battery (native instruments) is an excellent drumsampler and has all the settings you wish. Not cheap though.

It doesn't cut off the initial transient? On that note, does Kontakt? My friend has it, he lives a bit away, so I'd like to save the drive if possible. (I can't go on his word, he is still very new to all this)

@socialnumb

I am pretty sure it does not cut anything. It has adsr on every individual sample, filters etc etc. Too much to mention. But have a look around and read up on this Battery because it is in my eyes the ultimate drum sampler. FYI, it has NOT got its own sequencer, but i never need one.

But like i said, it is not cheap. I think it goes for 180 dollar/E

So if indeed this is the case then I rather use another sampler that doesn't cut off the initial attack. Can anyone recommend one? Kontakt perhaps?

If all you want to do is play back drum samples, then the EXS24 is what you should have been using in the first place. Battery will get you some more voice controls, but it is still not a drum "synth" like Ultrabeat. Neither is Kontakt.

If you want dead simple sample playback with a grid pattern sequencer, then Guru or iDrum are good choices.

Thanks fader8. I bit the bullet and got Battery. I love it. It's so easy to use and very fast to set up. Love the drag and drop. I'm very happy with it.

Yeah, I like it too. Actually I get more use out of it for foley work than for drums, but hey, whatever pays the bills.

i'll give it a try..thanks

This is the most ridiculous discussion I've seen so far!!! LMAO!!!

Guys, please...the solution is to CONTACT APPLE NOW.

Tell them their own drum machine does exactly the WRONG thing

with drum samples: it cuts the attack off from them!!!

It's hysterical!

It's not a 'Feature', dudes... it's a BUG.

Please report it as a BUG, so that in an update, it will be FIXED.

Logic is Filled with a lot of other (very EXPENSIVE) bugs such as this.

It's the only drum machine in the world that would cut the attack off from a drum sound.

It's one of the reasons I'm so disgusted with this app with every version.

There's always a big bunch of such upsetting stuff like this.

Tell them their own drum machine does exactly the WRONG thing

with drum samples: it cuts the attack off from them!!!

I've done that. A long time ago.

Please report it as a BUG, so that in an update, it will be FIXED.

That's presumptuous. Given that Ultrabeat isn't really a drum sampler, and the minimal sample functions it does have are tertiary, at best, I doubt this will be "fixed" for a long time if ever.

Logic is Filled with a lot of other (very EXPENSIVE) bugs such as this.

But we're not talking about those.

It's one of the reasons I'm so disgusted with this app with every version.

Use something else then.