Trigger different Groups in an Exs24 Instrument via midi ctl

deviant angel

I can trigger 'groups' with 'select by note' in instrument editor, but these notes end up in the score which I don't want. I have different articulations of a sampled instrument split into groups (6-10) and need to trigger them by midi control but have been playing around 24 hrs without success. I can see 'select sample' option in exs control is set to 'velocity'(*66) and have typed 66 into box next to 'select by Ctrl' option and adjusted ranges. I have also tried triggering from Hyper edit using various midi ctrls and value ranges but nothing. I'm new to midi - What should I be doing? Thanks

Logic 7.2 osx 10.4.11

Personally I find keyswitching the best way to change articulations, particularly because you have clear visual indication in all three editors. Honestly, I don't think there's a better way to do it. And while having those notes appear in the score seems like a downside, I'm going to offer you two solutions so that it's no longer problematic.

The following assumes that you have only one track for any given instrument, though after you read this I'm sure you'll see how some of these ideas will work in the event you use multiple sampler instruments to create the part for any given orchestral instrument. Here goes....

METHOD #1

Create a duplicate track for those instruments which you're keyswitching. Let's just focus on one instrument for now, flute. Create a duplicate track assigned to your flute instrument ("new track with same instrument/channel"). Next, copy all of the regions from the original track onto this track and merge (glue) them to create one contiguous track. Of course if you have only one region for the part, just copy the region over to the new track.

Then go into the piano roll editor and swipe the keyboard on the left in the range of your keyswitches. Then use the command "toggle selection" and hit DELETE. Now you have a region that contains only your keyswitches.

Or, of course, you can just swipe the range that the instrument plays in. Then hit DELETE. Either way...

The final step here is to untick the "score" checkbox for this keyswitch-only region (region parameters). Now, both tracks will still play, except only the actual flute part will appear in your score.

METHOD #2

In the score editor, open the staff style for the part. Set the highest note/lowest note range to (visually) filter out the keyswitch notes. This may seem like the easiest way to do things, but it will require you to have a distinct staff style applied to each part. For example, if you're using the Treble staff style for multiple parts (picc, flute, bass clarinet) and their key switches are in different ranges of the keyboard (as is the case with some libraries), you will need to create duplicates of "Treble", name them accordingly (picc, flute, b.clarinet), assign them to the various regions playing those parts, and then set their highest/lowest note values accordingly.

Sorry, no free lunch there. But, it's best to have separate staff styles for each instrument anyway. That way you maintain autonomy between the spacing requirements for each and every instrument.

So there you have it --- no need to convert any of your keyswitches. Just use the facilities available to you (which are much faster than reprogramming EXS) and you will be good to go.

You're welcome!

The region-based score checkbox is part of the "extended region parameters".

Tell ya what, go to your user profile and add your system's specs (click the link in my signature to read the forum guidelines, and then see #5). This way we'll know what version of Logic you're running in every post you make. This is particularly important in your case because whether or not the score checkbox readily appears depends on what version of Logic you're running.