Can the iControl Plug-in for nanoKONTROL be edited?

Robert X

I'm using Logic Express 8:

My question is:

Can the iControl Plug-in for nanoKONTROL (Maps nanoKONTROL to Logic and Garageband) be edited?

I would basically like to be able to work with logics Controller assignment parameters to edit my own controls for the Korg Nano Kontrol.

I want to assign different controls, but mainly (Change Pan and Mute - Switch buttons 1 and button 2 on the Nano Kontrol).

More info:

I'm working on Scene 1:

Also the Transport Zone was easy to edit, because I could select the control I wanted and simply change the Key Command and press learn.

Everything works fine except I want to change the Switch buttons 1 and 2.

Is this possible?

Thanks

I'm using Logic Express 8:

My question is:

Can the iControl Plug-in for nanoKONTROL (Maps nanoKONTROL to Logic and Garageband) be edited?

I would basically like to be able to work with logics Controller assignment parameters to edit my own controls for the Korg Nano Kontrol.

I want to assign different controls, but mainly (Change Pan and Mute - Switch buttons 1 and button 2 on the Nano Kontrol).

More info:

I'm working on Scene 1:

Also the Transport Zone was easy to edit, because I could select the control I wanted and simply change the Key Command and press learn.

Everything works fine except I want to change the Switch buttons 1 and 2.

Is this possible?

Thanks

What are 'Switch buttons?'

I'm referring to the iControl Plug-in setup in logic.

If your familiar with the Zone section in Controller Assignment

then there's a list that corresponds to actions made on the Nano Kontrol.

Switch happens to refer to Button 1 & 2, and Knob the rotary knobs on the Kontrol

and Slider the sliders on the Kontrol ect..

It's the programing that's got me lost, maybe you just can't?

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w238/perrycomo/Screenshot2009-12-31at121723AM.png

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w238/perrycomo/Screenshot2009-12-31at121831AM.png

Oh, that thing.

I tried it and deleted it because it is an inferior design and you cannot make it go away (unless you follow the Uninstall instructions exactly).

You can delete all the CS commands, delete the korg in the CS set up menu. When you reboot Logic, guess what shows up again?

So even if you try and modify it, I think the original template will re-insert itself as if it were a virus. I don't know and I have no desire to use that template.

What you can try is this:

Press the switch you want to change and take note of where it is in the CS screen. It will highlight itself. Delete that command and relearn the switch with the CS LEARN function. Quit logic and re open it to see if the command stays. If it does, you're in luck. If not, uninstall the 'thing' and Learn everything the proper way with modes/zones.

Alright thanks for your insight.

I'll experiment with that and also try the

Apple Logic Pro 8 Control Template since it has better documentation.

Yes I'm using Logic 8 express, but still worth a try.

"Learn everything the proper way with modes/zones"

Well Hmmm... First I'll need to understand the purpose of the Korg Nano Editor Software.

Alright thanks for your insight.

I'll experiment with that and also try the

Apple Logic Pro 8 Control Template since it has better documentation.

Yes I'm using Logic 8 express, but still worth a try.

"Learn everything the proper way with modes/zones"

Well Hmmm... First I'll need to understand the purpose of the Korg Nano Editor Software.

The nK software allows you to assign the units faders and knobs (etc) to different values like CC#, attack times, toggle or momentary, and things like that.

Once that is set up, you can use it in many different ways within Logic.

In most cases, you will use the CC#s and Logic's LEARN function will convert them to something useable.

Hey.

I figured out how to set different key commands for the Korg Kontrol via

the Logic Controller Assignment Parameter.

First I pressed a "button" on the Kontrol.

Then scrolled down the control and parameter list and selected "Scene 3 SW2 8 •Select Next Track" where I saw under controller assignment parameter that it was a class: key command. Clicked "Show…"

opened the key commands menu, selected the command I wanted

then clicked Lean New Assignment and pressed a key on the Kontrol.

Done! Just remove the original command or you'll have

multiple parameters for one button and save.

Its all saved in the Controller assignment file ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.logic.pro.cs

So, if you had a free knob you could do something like this (one reason these cheapo controllers are so fun)

Basically a knob is 'LEARNED' so that it can scroll thru the inserted FX plug ins on the selected channel strip.

Using the MODE function, an Instrument and/or FX Plug parameter(s) can be learned once and then be controlled based on the selected track it is in.

Here is an example of how the nK scrolls thru the inserts in the selected strip with a twist of a knob ...

Seems like there are a lot of useful settings for this inexpensive midi controller.

I bought a 25ft usb cable so I could run it from my recording room. Also set up

an excellent loop setting (Toggle Loop + •Set Region/Event/Marquee End to Playhead Position).

Thanks

How did you learn so much about the software? For work?

Its all saved in the Controller assignment file ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.logic.pro.cs

Make a backup of that file!

When Logic crashes it has a tendency to corrupt that file and all of your controller assignments will be gone. But if you have a backup, then it's no problem.

Make a backup of that file!

When Logic crashes it has a tendency to corrupt that file and all of your controller assignments will be gone. But if you have a backup, then it's no problem.

Believe it or not, in LP8 the CS file would vanish all on their own w/o a crash. One time it was changed to an .exe file. Yes, it would even delete my back ups.

I was so sick of LP8 because of this.

In 9, I have yet to have a crash. Korg's template is self loading even if you delete the assignments and the template (there is a section where it can be uninstalled).

In any event, it takes me about 5 minutes to do the assignments because I have done it over and over ...