Stonebridge

I'm gonna buy Logic Studio 9

Apple told me that you can install it on 2 machines

(ie my laptop & home computer)

I was wondering if I could maybe buy the software

& install it on one of my friends machines for them to use

I know this can be done with Ableton

U can run both programs at the same time while online browsing

Does anyone know anything about this please?

No where in the agreement is it stated that the licensee is limited to using one of the two computers at a time (offline).

2. Permitted License Uses and Restrictions.

A. Subject to the terms and conditions of this License, you are granted a limited non-exclusive license to install and use one copy of the Apple

Software on one Apple-branded desktop computer and one Apple-branded laptop computer so long as both computers are owned and used by you.

You may not make the Apple Software available over a network where it could be used by multiple computers at the same time. You may make one

copy of the Apple Software in machine-readable form for backup purposes only; provided that the backup copy must include all copyright or other

proprietary notices contained on the original.

Just to clarify something David.... Is it 'legal' to install on two computers and then use one of them as a node? Theoretically you are using both computers at the same time, hence my question....

You can run as many nodes as you like. That's different software. You can find the Logic Pro Node Installer on the Logic Pro Installation DVD.

I was wondering if I could maybe buy the software

& install it on one of my friends machines for them to use

Do you really don't know the answer to that yourself?

Yes, Apple is tolerant, which means: you can install it on more than one machine, which is nice, because you can have one copy on your desktop machine and one on your laptop, so you can work on the road without unlicensing and relicensing the machines all the time. But they clearly didn't intent that you install the product on machines, which are owned by different people and potentially even used at the same time.

The term for this usage is simply piracy!

No. You're buying a license to use the software. You can only use one copy of Logic at a time. You can install it on one desktop and one laptop mac, but you can only use one of them at a time. And the right to install the software twice is for you, not for a friend of yours.

I can only use one copy at a time?!

How come? Sorry, but what happens if both machines are working, and both are yours or maybe not?

How can the system or Apple tell they are running at the same time? Makes no sense to me, I'm sorry.

No. You're buying a license to use the software. You can only use one copy of Logic at a time. You can install it on one desktop and one laptop mac, but you can only use one of them at a time. And the right to install the software twice is for you, not for a friend of yours.

I can only use one copy at a time?!

How come? Sorry, but what happens if both machines are working, and both are yours or maybe not?

How can the system or Apple tell they are running at the same time? Makes no sense to me, I'm sorry.

You're confusing your rights with the protection system. Just because something can't be detected doesn't mean you have a right to it. Just because Apple can't tell doesn't mean it's legal. Just because you're in the middle of the desert and there are no cops around doesn't give you the right to run through that stop sign.

If both machines are on a network, you won't be able to open Logic on both at the same time. From what Shive' is saying, you might actually be legally authorized to use Logic on two machines that are not connected on a network. I'm not sure - that sounds odd to me: in the software industry, buying one license allows you to use one instance of the software at a time.

• 3 months later...
If both machines are on a network, you won't be able to open Logic on both at the same time. From what Shive' is saying, you might actually be legally authorized to use Logic on two machines that are not connected on a network. I'm not sure - that sounds odd to me: in the software industry, buying one license allows you to use one instance of the software at a time.

Actually, from what Shiv quoted from the License Agreement, I'm thinking that you should be able to use your twice-installed copy of Logic at the same time on your two computers owned by you on the same network. It just says that you "may not make the Apple Software available over a network where it could be used by multiple computers at the same time". That's not what this is. This is two machines with the software legally installed offline. You should quite ethically be able to use your laptop with it at the same time as it's connected to a network that includes your desktop with it installed (or vice versa), as long as it's you doing the using. You could even use BOTH your laptop Logic and your desktop Logic simultaneously, with both computers hooked up to the same network, quite ethically. The point is to not MAKE IT AVAILABLE to other computers OVER the network for sharing purposes.

I haven't actually tried this, as I currently only have one Mac. But it seems like it should work fine physically. And it would be 100% kosher ethically, as long as it's just YOU using it, and you're not making either or both installed copies available to OTHER computers for use OVER a network. Seems pretty straightforward.

No, despite what you think might be applicable, the reality is that it doesn't work.

If Logic is running and a second copy is started with the same serial number, Logic sees that copy already running on the network and the second copy refuses to run.

Of course, this only happens when the machines are on the same network, as otherwise there is no physical way of Logic seeing another machine.

FCP works the same way. You are not allowed to use two copies at once. The two installs rule is a convenience based on what Apple deem is practical. It doesn't mean you get two Logic licenses.

OK. That would seem to be a technological failsafe to prevent the "Sharing the software with other computers over the network" no-no. But the owner/user running the two simultaneously off-line sure seems to me to be 100% ethical and good to go, based both on the letter of the License Agreement and the anti-piracy spirit of the whole thing. 8)

What do you guys (or more importantly, Apple) class as a "network"?

The internet is a network? So say i produce with a partner and i live in Japan where my main recoding rig is, I install logic 9 pro on our main rig, and then a second installation on my macbook pro. If i travel to the states with my macbook pro and want to use logic while im over there, and im connected to the internet (say Wi-Fi), logic will cease to run if my partner is using our main rig back home?

Or are the "network" you guys are talking about mean Ethernet or Local Area Networks (LAN)??

The internet is a network? So say i produce with a partner and i live in Japan where my main recoding rig is, I install logic 9 pro on our main rig, and then a second installation on my macbook pro. If i travel to the states with my macbook pro and want to use logic while im over there, and im connected to the internet (say Wi-Fi), logic will cease to run if my partner is using our main rig back home?

Come on, apple common sense: two different people are using the same app - clear case of: buy two copies.

And asking how to potentially defeat this protection scheme, is asking how to do software piracy...

Only because Apple doesn't push the XSKey anymore, doesn't make defeating the little of protection right.

Come on, apple common sense: two different people are using the same app - clear case of: buy two copies.

And asking how to potentially defeat this protection scheme, is asking how to do software piracy...

Only because Apple doesn't push the XSKey anymore, doesn't make defeating the little of protection right.

I agree. If it's just YOU using Logic simultaneously on two machines, that would be fine. But you on one and ANOTHER PERSON on the other? No can do. :x

• 3 weeks later...

Let me throw another example in the mix:

I live between two countries and have been using just my laptop with an external drive travelling between the two up until now. I've reached a point where my laptop can't keep up with the juice needed by some apps and plugins, so I need a more powerful and stable system in both countries.

To not breach Apple's licencing laws, save money and boost the power of my set up, my idea was to continue to use my laptop as a mobile rig with an external drive for recording/projects etc., but to use Super Duper to clone my laptop HD (with all the programs) to an iMac located in each country each time I'm there - i.e:

- When in country X, clone my laptop HD to iMac A and only use this setup

- When in country X, clone my laptop HD to iMac B and only use this setup

I'd continue to use the external HD only for projects and recording to.

Even though it will be a pain in the ass to clone the drive each time, it would at least mean I could have one set of programs and plugins to maintain and licence right? Or is it not that simple? I'm concerned there'd also be problems cloning from laptop to iMac because of the different OSX upgrades required...

Bloody international relationships, makes life complicated!

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Instead of a laptop and a desktop computer, I use my old laptop in my office and my new one at home. Is it possible to install Logic studio 9 on two laptops? And does one need to unregister-reregister?

IF you read the license agreement, you will find that it is in violation to do so.

However, Logic should work fine on each computer. Apple may possibly send the SFLogic Ninja out to break your neck after he teaches you the meaning of being violated.

http://www.twistedsiblings.com/gallery/albums/twisted_stickers/deliverance.gif

Lots of interesting discussion on IP rights versus what is technically possible. Let me focus on the original question re: installing a 2nd copy on a friends machine. As noted above, this is stealing and it is unethical. However, let me point out, you are not stealing from Apple you are stealing from me and the the other users who have paid and will continue to pay the license fees. Apple will pass future development costs and profit margins on to the legitimate users. So, I will pay more for Logic Pro 10 if you make illegal copies.

I am not accusing the original poster or any other reader of perpetrating this thief. If I thought they were, then I would call them out as scumbags. However, without any proof, I will not do this.