9.1 update shortcuts problem

logic8mine

I've updated to 9.1 and have set the key command preferences set to US. Logic is creating markers whenever I use the Open Marker Text command: option+'. Also, following the menu: Options>Marker>Open Marker Text creates a new marker... The regular 'Create Markers' command: command+', works as it should...

I have trashed preferences and opened to new empty project and still the same problems... repairing permissions to see if that helps...

Using OS 10.6.2

Edited by logic8mine

I'm guessing here, but when you updated to 9.1 you probably had the same thing happen that happened to me. Logic's SHORTCUT options were reset to a standard which is different than what you had previously set up.

LOGIC => PREFERENCES => KEY COMMANDS =>

You'll get a pop-up dialogue box, and in the UPPER LEFT CORNER you'll see a drop-down button OPTIONS. There, you can click on PRESETS and you'll see options for different "standard" keyboard shortcut sets. In my case, when I upgraded to L9.1 I had to rechoose "US" (which is rather ironic as I'm quite Canadian :P )

Hope this helps!

- Reinier

NOTE: I had customized my TRACK ICONS and they also reset to "factory standard" when I upgraded to 9.1.... just an fyi ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Uninstalled 9.0 and 9.1 and trashed the Logic plist and receipt; reinstalled 9.0 from disk and it corrected the problem. Ran software update 9.0.2 and 9.1 and problem reappeared. Is no one else experiencing this?

yeah I noticed this as well..its very annoying as you have experienced. I've noticed that I have to hold down control, option and use the arrows to zoom in and out.. before I was able to just hold control. Also hitting the = key no longer merges.... Cmon.. anyone know whats going on ?

There are no "regular" key commands. There are presets that come with Logic, and you can assign any key to any command if you so desire. The thing about the presets... is that they change from version to version, to accommodate new standards, for consistency with other Apple Pro Apps, or to avoid conflicting with Mac OS X key commands.

For example, as you've noticed, the new zoom vertically/horizontally key commands are now Control-Option-Arrows, which is more consistent with the non-customizable shortcut "Control-Option" which turns your mouse pointer into a zoom tool.

However, if you don't like the new assignments, you can go in the key command window, select a command, press "Learn by Key Label" and press whatever combination of keys you prefer.

There are no "regular" key commands. There are presets that come with Logic, and you can assign any key to any command if you so desire.
Thanks David but, that's exactly what I am referring to. The presets are not working as it relates to the Open Marker Text. Reassigning the function continues to create markers everytime I use the command. I tried both the US Keyboard and US w/ Numeric Keyboard, as well as attempting to reassign and it has the same behavior... Edited by logic8mine

I wrote this before I saw David's latest comment. I figure I might as well still post this, in case it helps anyone understand the situation better.

I guess I'm the only one experiencing this?

No, you're not the only one. It seems to be a bug, and it seems to be easy to reproduce.

The presents are not working as it relates to the Open Marker Text.

I don't think the bug has anything in particular to do with presets/key commands/shortcuts. I think it confuses the issue to focus on that aspect of it. It's simply a command that works wrong, and it doesn't make any difference if you invoke it via the menu, a key command, or otherwise.

The Open Marker Text command is documented on p. 145. There are three ways to invoke the command: via the main menu (Options > Marker > Open Marker Text), via a key command (option-tilde in the US preset), by option-double-clicking on a marker in the marker track. But you will get the exact same result (i.e., the bug), regardless of what method you use to invoke the command.

To reproduce the bug, do this:

Open a new, empty project. In the main menu, select the command Options > Marker > Open Marker Text. A window opens, where you may edit marker text. Don't bother. Just close the window. Now invoke the command again, and close the window again. Repeat this cycle ten times.

Now look at your ruler area. It says "Marker 10." If you now open the Marker List to inspect the situation, you'll discover that you've created 10 markers, all stacked up on top of each other.

Does it make sense for a command called "Open Marker Text" to create a new marker? I don't think so.

There's been a lot of discussion in this thread about key commands, but this bug really has nothing to do with key commands.

Hey guys, thanks for confirming. I was about to go through a whole reinstall again to see if that was the problem... This command is a pet of mine that I'm starting to use quite frequently and I guess I'll have to get use to erasing these 'extra' markers for the time being...

Why not just double-click on the marker to edit the marker text? Because the other weird and annoying thing about Open Marker Text is that once the window opens, you can't just start typing. If you do, your keystrokes pass right through and are picked up by the arrange window, creating all kinds of strange results. Before you can start editing the text in the window that appeared, you have to double-click (not just click) in that window.

So since Logic is obligating you to do a double-click either way, it seems like you're saving yourself a bunch of extra steps if you just ignore the Open Marker Text command and just double-click on the marker.

Why not just double-click on the marker to edit the marker text? Because the other weird and annoying thing about Open Marker Text is that once the window opens, you can't just start typing. If you do, your keystrokes pass right through and are picked up by the arrange window, creating all kinds of strange results. Before you can start editing the text in the window that appeared, you have to double-click (not just click) in that window.

So since Logic is obligating you to do a double-click either way, it seems like you're saving yourself a bunch of extra steps if you just ignore the Open Marker Text command and just double-click on the marker.

An adjunct, if you will... using Option + Double Click on the marker still creates a new marker here...