Setting up Logic 9 and Maschine 1.5 ?

Hricco

Hello all,

if there are an NI Maschine users out there, I just downloaded the 1.5 beta software and it rocks as expected....but there is a new feature call all notes to midi, which allows you to record directly to an instrument track in logic.

The instructions say for this to work, you have to set up your daw to receive midi from Maschine as well as send midi to maschine....does anyone know how to set up Logic for this.

Here is the video that explains part of it

it's part 6 of the very first video " DAW recording MASCHINE events"

http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/products/producer/maschine/?page=1398

• 3 weeks later...
Hello all,

if there are an NI Maschine users out there, I just downloaded the 1.5 beta software and it rocks as expected....but there is a new feature call all notes to midi, which allows you to record directly to an instrument track in logic.

The instructions say for this to work, you have to set up your daw to receive midi from Maschine as well as send midi to maschine....does anyone know how to set up Logic for this.

Here is the video that explains part of it

it's part 6 of the very first video " DAW recording MASCHINE events"

http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/products/producer/maschine/?page=1398

Hey man,

are you running in 64bit on Logic? we are and we've been experiencing latency on maschine with the controller?? have you experienced this?

• 1 month later...

I've been using Logic in 64bit mode and definitely have noticed latency, usually happens when you try to play maschine while another track is selected, fortunately the old work around/fix of selecting the machine track and then playing a note either from a controller or switching machine to controller mode and hitting a couple notes still works.......

As far as IAC goes, I was trying this yesterday and was having all kinds of problems.....Maschine would not sync, and I could not use Logic to play machine....I was going to search IAC this morning which is how I came across this thread LoL

FYI you can sync maschine to Logic using the maschine virtual input, but this will not let you record to maschine from logic, nor will it let you record from maschine into Logic.......Basically just lets you play back maschine in sync with your logic session

Not really sure why IAC isn't working like it should.....seems to me it's a problem with maschine, unfortunately I don't have another plugin to test with to see if this is true or not.....if anything I may try using IAC today in 32bit mode to see if there is a difference there.....

Hricco,

I am struggling with the same question/problem as you.

I too run Maschine 1.5 in Logic as a plugin and really want to record the midi data (by tapping the maschine pads) on the maschine instrument track.

Strange thang is that it worked sometimes and then, the other day, it didn't.

In Logic's environment , i can see "midi port 0" present at the physical input port.

I know this port is from Maschine.

However , if i cable the midi port to the sequencer output object , still no midi note recording from maschine is possible.

IMHO : how hard can it be to implement this in an easy and logical way ?

I did alot of googling about this issue, but haven't found a single clue :(

Kind regards,

Rob.

Hricco,

I am struggling with the same question/problem as you.

I too run Maschine 1.5 in Logic as a plugin and really want to record the midi data (by tapping the maschine pads) on the maschine instrument track.

Strange thang is that it worked sometimes and then, the other day, it didn't.

In Logic's environment , i can see "midi port 0" present at the physical input port.

I know this port is from Maschine.

However , if i cable the midi port to the sequencer output object , still no midi note recording from maschine is possible.

IMHO : how hard can it be to implement this in an easy and logical way ?

I did alot of googling about this issue, but haven't found a single clue :(

Kind regards,

Rob.

I've been asking around today at the NI Maschine forum and no one seems to know. The only thing I did read somewhere is that it might be a problem with AU not being able to past downstream ?. I'm paraphrasing so this may not be accurate but it seems to be a problem with AU and not Maschine.

I don't know, I really hate working with scenes and would love to to just play the dam pads right into Logic and bypass the Maschine sequencer all together.

Edited by ibeatz

I've been using Logic in 64bit mode and definitely have noticed latency, usually happens when you try to play maschine while another track is selected, fortunately the old work around/fix of selecting the machine track and then playing a note either from a controller or switching machine to controller mode and hitting a couple notes still works.......

Yes, tons of latency here. It's awful, I can't program a beat like this. The NI guys mentioned to use Drag and Drop midi, but that's after the fact. In the meantime If I'm trying to come up with an idea, it's pointless if timing issues are this extreme.

I'm just going to start beatboxing my beats from now on :)

I got help from the NI forum peeps, here's how to play the pads into Logic.

1 - In your group/kit (blue) right click to open and select "Sound MIDI Batch Setup"

then select Sounds to MIDI Notes/Apply

2 - In Maschine (HARDWARE) PRESS SHIFT+CONTROL (this is MIDI mode to allow you to use Maschine as a controller. In midi mode you can trigger any AU instrument from Maschine's pads)

3 - In Maschine (HARDWARE) select bank E which corresponds to Root note C3. You should be able to hear your kits (chromatically.)

4. Press record in Logic and play pads from Maschine, it should work.

5. To trigger any other AU inst, go to that inst track, select record mode and play Maschine's pads. You should be triggering your AU inst sounds from Maschine. Hit record in Logic and play from Maschine.

TIP/NOTE: The velocity might be little all over the place, to fix this go to Maschines File/Preferences/Hardware and adjust the Velocity Scaling. I have it at "Soft 1" working pretty well for me, but a different setting might work better to you.

1 - In your group/kit (blue) right click to open and select "Sound MIDI Batch Setup"

2 - In Maschine (HARDWARE) PRESS SHIFT+CONTROL (this is MIDI mode to allow you to use Maschine as a controller. In midi mode you can trigger any AU instrument from Maschine's pads)

3 - In Maschine (HARDWARE) select bank E which corresponds to Root note C3. You should be able to hear your kits (chromatically.)

5. To trigger any other AU inst, go to that inst track, select record mode and play Maschine's pads. You should be triggering your AU inst sounds from Maschine. Hit record in Logic and play from Maschine.

TIP/NOTE: The velocity might be little all over the place, to fix this go to Maschines File/Preferences/Hardware and adjust the Velocity Scaling. I have it at "Soft 1" working pretty well for me, but a different setting might work better to you.

This works, but what most people are looking for is a way to use maschine in regular mode and have the midi notes record into Logic.......using the controller mode to control maschine kinda limits the functionality, although you can just switch back and forth between modes.

I use Maschine, and did recently upgrade to the latest release (1.5). I use this as a plug-in in Logic, but I'm not interested in recording directly onto Logic. Instead, I use Logic as an 8xStereo channel instrument, ensuring that each sound is treated individually within each channel on Logic. Each track has it's own compressor, EQ and plug-in settings ensuring I get the best out of each drum sound. You can even add automation to each separate track, such as mute, FX or volume.

The trick here is to ensure you create a 64 bar loop on Massive, and just record the drums using the pads straight into Maschine. It's surprising how much flexibility this gives you - being able to start quite chilled, and build the drums up with your track. It's changed the way I create my drum patterns.

If your song arrangement goes over 64 bars - keep something back for the next 64 bars by bringing in new parts of you beat by un-muting a track or by adding effects via automation.

Sound like a useful tip?

I use Maschine, and did recently upgrade to the latest release (1.5). I use this as a plug-in in Logic, but I'm not interested in recording directly onto Logic. Instead, I use Logic as an 8xStereo channel instrument, ensuring that each sound is treated individually within each channel on Logic. Each track has it's own compressor, EQ and plug-in settings ensuring I get the best out of each drum sound. You can even add automation to each separate track, such as mute, FX or volume.

The trick here is to ensure you create a 64 bar loop on Massive, and just record the drums using the pads straight into Maschine. It's surprising how much flexibility this gives you - being able to start quite chilled, and build the drums up with your track. It's changed the way I create my drum patterns.

If your song arrangement goes over 64 bars - keep something back for the next 64 bars by bringing in new parts of you beat by un-muting a track or by adding effects via automation.

Sound like a useful tip?

Just curious, when you use the 16x mono instance of maschine, do you get 16 separate channels of audio, cause I only get 15......aux 2 never works, and the maschine instrument only gives you the main channel + 15 aux's.......

• 3 weeks later...

The problem with that is you can only use the Maschine hardware as a generic midi controller.

In order to use the actual Maschine hardware and record midi notes on logic, you would have to setup an IAC driver. This article can be found on the NI knowledge base.

• 1 year later...

Hey guys,

Im in a similar situation, Ive pressed shift and control and opened the "01 new template" to record midi notes straight into logics sequencer instead of using Maschine sequencer.. I can record stuff in which is great, but outputting the sounds is causing an issue.

I want to use the 16 available sound slots using only 1 maschine plug, and each sound to have their own output and track to arrange. However, when i load up a new sample on a different sound slot inside maschine and hit record on logic and play it in on a pad, it just records over the first channel in logic instead of a new channel/track.

If i create a new midi track and drop the new midi there, obviously theres no maschine loaded on there so its just blank midi with no sound. If i go into logic and create an aux track in the arrange for the new sample and drop the midi part down to that new aux track, the kick wont play?!!!

• 9 months later...