No sound from midi recording

Soundhound

Here's a weird one. I can't playback midi from a particular track. I record onto a track that has cellos loaded in using the ESX24. it records the midi, but doesn't play back. When I play the instrument throug the track I can hear it, and I can see the midi region, with the notes in it. I moved the region to another track, with flutes on it, and it plays fine. I move it back to the cello track and it doesn't play.

I've tried the mute/unmute region trick, tried quitting Logic and restarting. Tried restarting the imac. All with the same result as described above.

What incredibly dumb thing have I done?

Beginning with Logic 9 I began having several odd problems that fit right in with what you are experiencing. A MIDI region sometimes will not play and mute is not shown on the MIDI regions. If I save the project, close Logic and then restart Logic and load the project the track will then show that it is muted on the regions (the mute button is not lit up). I can then highlight the regions, hit `m' and the regions unmute and I can move on. The problem is it happens too frequently and really disrupts workflow. There are other threads on this forum and on the Apple forum with the same problem, but at this point there is no recognition by anyone at Apple that it is a bug. I'm hoping a point release magically fixes this because I'm starting to use another DAW more and more to avoid the issue.

On a side note, this happens with projects created in Logic 8 and created in Logic 9.

Sorry, I can't help you out with this, just wanted to let you know you are not alone. :)

-Kevin

Thanks for the heads up! Really appreciate the time and effort. Cheers.

I'm glad it's not something with my system, but not glad that Logic is buggy. It's so, Apple, I'm sorry to say. I've been using their stuff since the mid-eighties, always have and always will but - this is so like them. They make, beautifully designed, wonderful things that are powerful, and fun to use, and put give you a tremendous amount of power to create. Unfortunately, the stuff very often, just, doesn't...work...all the time.

Arg. For the record, I duplicated the offending tracks, got rid of the original tracks, and now they work fine. C'mon Apple, get on the case with this stuff!!!

Beginning with Logic 9 I began having several odd problems that fit right in with what you are experiencing. A MIDI region sometimes will not play and mute is not shown on the MIDI regions. If I save the project, close Logic and then restart Logic and load the project the track will then show that it is muted on the regions (the mute button is not lit up). I can then highlight the regions, hit `m' and the regions unmute and I can move on. The problem is it happens too frequently and really disrupts workflow. There are other threads on this forum and on the Apple forum with the same problem, but at this point there is no recognition by anyone at Apple that it is a bug. I'm hoping a point release magically fixes this because I'm starting to use another DAW more and more to avoid the issue.

On a side note, this happens with projects created in Logic 8 and created in Logic 9.

Sorry, I can't help you out with this, just wanted to let you know you are not alone. :)

-Kevin

• 3 months later...