Clueless with my bouncing - no idea how to mix. Please help!

I have some very noob-type questions, so bear with me please.

When I work with Logic on my MB Pro, I use a very nice $150 pair of headphones that offers a crisp sound quality and really brings out the rich bass.

I like bass. I use nice kicks and rich bass lines in my music.

However, when it comes time to mix, I run into lots of trouble. I hear my music one way in my headphone, but when I unplug them and listen through the crappy MacBook speakers, the sound is very different. It's much thinner, the trebles are emphasized and the bass almost disappears. This problem is lessened when I listen to my mix on a pair of nice speakers with a subwoofer.

When I bounce to MP3, though, the master mix often peaks into the red. I use overload protection, but then the mix comes out way too quiet. The bass is also almost-non existent. When I use the equalizer and compressor to bring the bass up, the mix comes out way distorted, blasting through the speakers unless I normalize or use overload protection. Automating the volume on individual tracks helps a little, but I still can't get a final mix.

My problem is that the only way I could share my music is by having my friends listen through my headphones. I think it's fair to assume that most everyday listeners have crappy MacBook-sort speakers, so I need to mix so that my music sounds good on those. It can't be impossible, since I listen to plenty of good, bass-heavy music on my Mac.

I'm sorry if I sound completely amateurish. I've been using Logic for a year now and I'm comfortable with a lot of the features, but I know nothing about mixing. Please help?

Stop reading and get practising. You need to learn mixing. By doing, not by reading. It takes years, just like anything else, if you want to be good. There are no shortcuts, there are no tips and tricks that can substitute you putting in the legwork. Just as you will not become a good guitar player by watching Steve Vai videos, you will not progress in mixing skills by reading. My hopes are not high, as you already didn't take my advice if you've read this far, but still, stop reading and get to work.

Christian

I guess I just have to go back to it. I was just wondering if there are any general mixing guidelines

http://www.logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=57055

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/468170-loudness-when-producing-mixing-tips.html

http://www.onlinemastering.dk/pdf/mixdown-for-mastering-tips.pdf

it's a matter of poking and probing until I get a good mix.

And yes, this too.

Hope some of this information helps.

Like it was said above, invest (the best you can afford for now) in a set of good speakers. Then, take your favorite music that was recorded by professionals and LISTEN LISTEN LISTEN. And then put your stuff on and listen to it. What is different? Then start moving knobs n' buttons n' things... are you getting closer to your hero's sound quality or further away? Keep doing this until you are moving TOWARDS the GOOD and away from the POOP. And you won't know how the hell to de-poop your mixes if you don't have a reference point with what the PROs are presenting as good mixes. More LISTENING!!! Back and forth, like a storm tossed ship on an ocean of sonic landfill!!

Damn - just realized Christian's gonna kill me - I've given you more words. :P I'll cut it short:

Don't just stand there, MIX SOMETHING!!! :twisted:

I think it's fair to assume that most everyday listeners have crappy MacBook-sort speakers, so I need to mix so that my music sounds good on those.

If you want your mix to sound good on your MacBook speakers, then do a mix using your MacBook speakers, and try to make it sound good.

Also, see if you can find a local engineer that will mentor you - or at least let you observe them work. Offer to bring him or her coffee, make yourself useful to them, somehow get your foot in the door and then be a fly on the wall.

Stay out of the way yet watch their every move. Seeing a solid engineer work through different challenges is an excellent way to learn.