Resizing regions, anchors & zero crossings - a real prob

en5ca

Hello everyone!

When resizing audio (with snap to zero crossings turned on) from region start, it doesn't snap to a zero crossing point. Resizing from region's end does so.

So I went through the manual and found out that by default the anchor point is set to region starting point. I figured the logical reason for this is that the audio is aligned to the timegrid by this anchor point, so you don't want it moving around "randomly" to zero crossing points when resizing audio.

The next logical step was to set the anchor point manually in the sample editor. Then I tried resizing again: no results. The region's start doesn't snap to zero crossing even when the "level" of snapping is turned into sample accuracy, which effectively means no snapping at all in the digital world. Of course by then, after all that hard zooming and countless milliseconds of hard work in the arranger window, it was no problem to seek the zero crossing point by hand-eye co-ordination.

Snap to zero crossing at region or file start works just fine in the sample editor and bin, but not at all in the arrange window. I tested it: I divided the screen to show the arrange window and sample editor, then zoomed them both to sample accuracy - showing the same audio region. Then resized the audio region from start in arrange window, it didn't snap to zero, and the sample editor updated to show the same. Then I resized the same region in the sample editor, and it did snap to zero, and the arrange window also updated to confirm the success. This of course worked after manually setting the anchor point from region's start to somewhere else.

Is this somekind of bug, or perhaps a flaw in design, or is there a workaround to edit audio regions with zero snapping faster in the arrange window? I find it quite tedious having to edit all audio regions' start points to zero crossings manually through the sample editor, after having a anchor point set to each one of them individually.

Yes, I know, fades. That's just treating the symptoms, not the disease. :)

The strip silence also offers some medication, but not a cure. Sure, it can be used to remove clipping, but I like to use it for removing quiet parts of audio with possible background noise etc. Afterall, it's nothing but a digital noisegate with a macro to create regions of the resulting audio.

It's actually quite interesting, because when using strip silence to remove clipping, it automatically creates new anchor(s) to the next possible grid value to keep (audible) audio in align with the timegrid. I wonder, why Logic wouldn't do that when simply resizing audio region? And of course, snapping audio region start to zero in the arranger window seems to be just written text in the options but no function.

I've tried this with Logic Pro 9.0.2, 9.1.1 on the two different studios, so I don't think it's due to malfunctioning software or hardware. There is the possibility I haven't noticed something, which I hope is true.

• 2 weeks later...
When resizing audio (with snap to zero crossings turned on) from region start, it doesn't snap to a zero crossing point

I've also noticed some problems with snap to zero crossing, which I described here. I don't know if it's related to what you saw.

Are you working with mono or stereo? One of the problems I described has to do with the latter situation.