LPH.com Internal Server Error? [SOLVED]

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

When I come to this site, I will look at the forum indexes and then put a topic I'm interested in on a separate tab. Sometimes I'll open 10 or 15 tabs before I start reading.

Would this kind of activity be a contributing factor?

Very easy to change my surfing habits if it is.

Nublu: that was YOU! It's all YOUR FAULT! :lol:

Seriously, yes, that kind of stuff kills the server. There are many issues going on at the same time, but one of them is a lot of simultaneous database queries. Sometimes it's the google bot hitting the server with 150 queries at the same time. Any page you load on this site equals one or more queries. RSS was completely killing the server, mainly because of irresponsible practices from users and/or their software that ping the server every single minute to see if there are new topics. When you have a thousand computers running software that pings the servers every minute, that's a lot of CPU load, and the 500 Internal Error protects from crashing the servers.

In the long run though, I will figure out a way to handle way more queries than it is now so the problem disappears.

8) Always thought I would make a great master of chaos and mayhem!

As penance, I tried eradicating the internal server errors using the power of my mind..... Ya-a-a-a-h .... don't hold your breath David. :)

Thanks for the explanation, and my habits change now.

Seriously, yes, that kind of stuff kills the server. There are many issues going on at the same time, but one of them is a lot of simultaneous database queries. Sometimes it's the google bot hitting the server with 150 queries at the same time. Any page you load on this site equals one or more queries. RSS was completely killing the server, mainly because of irresponsible practices from users and/or their software that ping the server every single minute to see if there are new topics. When you have a thousand computers running software that pings the servers every minute, that's a lot of CPU load, and the 500 Internal Error protects from crashing the servers.

In the long run though, I will figure out a way to handle way more queries than it is now so the problem disappears.

Well, I sometimes have multiple tabs open (only until recently that was mainly on the Apple LS fora) when researching, and I can imagine that other contributors and helpseekers may be using multiple tabs as well, so until you've turboboosted things somehow, I'll keep this in mind.

Guys, don't worry about multiple tabs. Having a tab open doesn't put any load on the server at load. What does put a load is to open the tabs. If it's just 4 or 5 tabs your open within 2 or 3 seconds, that's just fine.

Go ahead and browse, please don't change your habits. We'll have this issue sorted soon.

Edited by David Nahmani

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry to be a nag David but seriously, this happens everyday that I visit LPH.com. It happens at least 50% of the time when I click on anything. It can really drive you crazy if you're engaged in a discussion with someone and you can't access the site.

I usually have to refresh the page about 30 times or Reset Safari or both to regain access to the site without receiving the Server Error message. Then it comes back again after browsing through a few threads.

Will this ever be fixed?

I remember it didn't happen when I first became a member. It started about 6 months after I joined.

I'm surprised more members have not had this issue or have not been more outspoken about it. :?

It drives me crazy too, Scott.

Hey Jordito,

Yeah, I just got an email notification of a reply (yours) and when I clicked the link in the email I got the same message over and over again. Then I navigated to this thread through the links on the site and the same thing happened again several times.

Glad to know I'm not the only one but it sure would be nice to get a fix on this. It really is frustrating.

Don't want to end up like these guys.

Seems to be worse today.

This is much harder to track than it seems. I'm dealing with defunct php processes (zombies) hogging down the server's CPU. It's easy to kill them with SSH but the zombies keep spawning themselves. Problem is they're now parentless and I can't (don't know how to) find their parents. Real tricky. If anyone knows what I'm talking about and can think of a solution or a path to troubleshoot this I'm all ears.

:(

It's just happened to me David.

I was trying to post in this thread, when I clicked the submit button I got an Internal Server error as others have described. After refreshing quite a few times I got the failed message screen.

I went back to the post writing screen then hit submit again, this time I got through but after being re=directed back to the thread my post was in there twice :?

I know nothing about t'internet goings on so couldn't suggest anything for you to try & fix it, if it's part of a bigger problem can't the software or server support people sort it out for you?