Mixing Superior Drummer Multi-output help

papercanoe

Hey all, I just got logic a week ago and I absolutely love the software and stumbled onto this site just a short while ago after seeking help. This looks like a great community and Im excited to see what I can learn.. That being said, I am wondering how something should be done and I am looking for suggestions. I have superior drummer 2.0 and I am using it in 16 out multi mode. I am wondering if I need to set all the mixer settings in superior drummer to a default. For example should I set all the faders to 0 and pan everything to center or should I leave it at its default settings when you open a library up. It will already have a default mix with panning and everything. I mean if I liked how it is already set up I guess I could leave the panning but it seems like it could get cluttered very quickly using two sets of faders, eqs, panners, and so fourth. So how are you guys going out this in logic with superior drumer? Thanks!

Howdy papercanoe.

Logic = cool.

Superior + Logic + cool = music.

(Ultrabeat, Exs, Superior in various configurations, also very cool)

This forum = awesome+1.

I like to choose the Superior Multi-out instrument and then set-up the Aux channel strips in Logic's Mixer... all of them.

Then I open up Superior's Mixer view. Then I choose a preset. Look under Load/Save above the channel strips. (screenshot 1)

Go to the output line of Superior's mixer and on the first channel Strip choose Multi Channel. The Initial Routings have now been taken care of. Superior's outs will show up routed to specific Logic Aux Strips. (screenshot 2+3)

Superior's presets are great for getting the "Kit Presence". Then I like to use Logic's Aux faders and channel strips to blend the kit's presence into the piece of music.

I sometimes use Logic's empty Auxes to double elements of the Kit... which is why I open all them right away.

475391802_1Screenshot2010-05-17at2_56_19PM.png.4dbd0e0266aa6303c40ea5bccf3a0559.png

831917375_2Screenshot2010-05-17at3_05_27PM.png.f87703cace93764aeba547dabeef6857.png

547973292_3Screenshot2010-05-17at3_12_36PM.thumb.png.678486dd62d344d8c94011952d4bd14d.png

Thanks for the response. I like the way you do it. So do you leave pretty much the preset settings in Superior Drummer alone, such as panning alone then and then adjust accordingly in the Logic mixer?

Thanks again!

The short answer is yes. Logic's Automation, Channel Strips, and Routing options facilitate an elegant way to get the Kit perspective working with the other instruments in the Song/Piece. The Kit perspective I get from Superior.

I also use those presets as a fantastic experiential learning environment. There's the "Sound/Tone/Presence" and there is how it is done. Easy access. ya ya ya.

The quality is already there and I see no reason to argue with success. :)