How to figure out which tracks are empty?

Soundhound

I've got a project in which I know a lot of instrument tracks have nothing on them, and want to delete these instruments to free up ram etc. The problem is, I've got all my cues (it's a short film I'm scoring) collected into folders, so when I look at all the instruments outside those cue folders, I don't know which of these tracks have midi recorded on them, and which don't. Is there a way to find out?

thanks!

Thanks David, but maybe I'm not being clear. (I'm sure I'm not! Not my forte I'm afraid!) Outside of the several (10 or so) cue folders, each of which have between 5 and 10 instruments tracks inside them, there are quite a large number of instrument tracks, which show no midi data on them. Are these different from the tracks which are collected into the cue folders? And if so, can I delete them?

Not that I know of. You'd need to open the cues one at a time and choose Track > Delete Unused. And I'm actually not sure that will give you your RAM back either, so the best way might be to do it manually...

You can go into the Environment and use the function Edit > Select Unused Instruments. It's extremely useful for exactly what you're talking about. However, you need to be aware of the following caveats:

• start by making sure nothing is selected in the environment before using the command (click on the background)

• don't take this function entirely for granted: it will select more than just unused instruments; it will also select any channel strips not assigned to tracks. Even if you do have various channel strip assigned to tracks, i.e., Output 1/2 ("Stereo Output" in L9) for the purpose of, say, viewing automation, unless you have a region on that track this function will assume that Out 1/2 is "unused" also and highlight it in the Environment. A quick way to remedy this is to use the pencil tool to insert a dummy region on that (and similar) tracks.

One way to avoid the pitfalls of "unused" is to move all of your instruments to a separate layer in the environment. Create one yourself if need be. Then perform the "selected unused" function just within that layer.

Once the appropriate objects (channels) are selected, you have several options!

1) delete them to get them out of your life (delete button)

2) don't delete them but rather, CMD-X cut them. Then CMD-V paste them into another layer (so you have a clear indication of which free instruments you already have)

3) clear all selected instruments of various settings and plugins (if any): change any one thing on one of the selected items (remove plugin, zero send, etc.) and all will follow suit

Thanks David, but maybe I'm not being clear. (I'm sure I'm not! Not my forte I'm afraid!) Outside of the several (10 or so) cue folders, each of which have between 5 and 10 instruments tracks inside them, there are quite a large number of instrument tracks, which show no midi data on them. Are these different from the tracks which are collected into the cue folders? And if so, can I delete them?

Not that I know of. You'd need to open the cues one at a time and choose Track > Delete Unused. And I'm actually not sure that will give you your RAM back either, so the best way might be to do it manually...

Yes you can delete them. Your 'folder' contains the tracks and you can restore them when you are ready by selecting use existing tracks when unpacking the folder.

You can even use a more confusing method that involves the HIDE function and Group settings.

Combine the two methods and you will literally go crazy. You will swear off drinking and women so that you can spend your time dedicating the rest of your life to Logic/music.

:P

It is best if you first practice this method using a new empty template and create a bunch of empty regions. Eventually you will realize that you can set up a few key commands to speed up the entire process.

At this point, you may want to consider becoming a monk/hermit and disassociate yourself from any human contact.