Button can not be a key?

teeloo

Hi,

Is it right that a button cannot be a key/note?

In layout I can assign a button to a specific note. But when I go to edit it shows an exclamation mark and does not work.

I am trying to use MS for buttons on certain sounds/wavfiles. But I guess you can't use it as an active controller with buttons assigned to notes.

You will see an exclamation mark in Edit mode until you map that button to something.... And even after mapping it to something you may see an exclamation mark if you are on a different level that where you mapped.

What is playing your sounds/wavefiles?

I want certain patches to be controlled by buttons instead of keys.

For quick access and easy recognition. I don't want to remember to hit A2 note for the right FX-sound.

So really it doesn't matter what is playing my sounds. External Synth/ Software or MS itself (FX sounds)

I guess I'm not clear on what you want.

In layout I can assign a button to a specific note.

If you assign a button in layout mode to a note, that note will then activate the button.

I want certain patches to be controlled by buttons instead of keys.

For quick access and easy recognition. I don't want to remember to hit A2 note for the right FX-sound.

Now you say you don't want to hit a note (A2 in your example), you want to hit a button. That button will need to be hit with the mouse as you have no hardware controller assigned to it.

• 6 months later...

Hi,

i'm having a similar problem,

Im trying to use buttons on my midi keyboard to trigger samples in ms using the esx24.

I cant even get as far as the exclamation mark?

I've made a button in ms and learned the button on my keyboard so when i press the button on the keyboard it is connected to the button in ms, but how do i make this button output a midi note to trigger the sample?

Now you say you don't want to hit a note (A2 in your example), you want to hit a button. That button will need to be hit with the mouse as you have no hardware controller assigned to it.

I think what teeloo wants is to press a button (and not a pad or a key) on his controller and have it trigger a certain note of a specific pitch on a software instrument.

Basically I don't think MS will do what you're asking. (And I know someone will come up with a solution as soon as I post this...)

The closest you might get to this is using drum pads and the drum pad screen control. This should work if you map correctly.

• 3 months later...
I guess it must be whether or not you can edit your button to trigger note data. I use a Korg Nano Kontrol and use it's buttons to trigger individual samples in EXS24 BUT, you have to use the Korg's editor FIRST to assign a note value to the button(s) instead of controller data. Then go into MS Layout and create a new " keyboard" to Learn the newly assigned Nano's "notes"

Have you tried using a 'drum pad' in your mainstage layout and learning your button to this?

With buttons you get the option in the edit page to send it to any CC or action or anything, with drum pads this is replaced with the option to send it to any note value, either on a specific channel strip or on all of them on the current patch, or you could map it at concert level if you have all your samples planned out on one layout for the entire set.

Do you mean a drum pad will only learn from a note from your hardware?

Yes, that's what I mean. If you create a software drum pad in MainStage, it can only be assigned (or "learned") to a MIDI note, not to other types of MIDI events (such as the ones Buttons send).

ahh of course. This one's a toughy :?

• 1 month later...

Bottom line:

If you can assign your controller button to send a MIDI note #, you're OK.

Then set up a drum pad in your layout to simulate your button, assign your button to it. After that you can map any available control or event, or a single note or even multi-map multiple notes to create chords.

I use this method to send chord information to a TC-Helicon Harmony M to set it up to create specific harmonies from sax input...

Have you tried using a 'drum pad' in your mainstage layout and learning your button to this?

AFAIK you can only assign a drum pad to a note.

Drum Pads can map to any parameter and can send a MIDI note into a channel strip. Buttons cannot be assigned to drum pads. It only takes MIDI notes as inputs.

You can assign a hardware button to a butt screen control, but it cannot be mapped to send MIDI notes.

• 2 weeks later...

I always find posts like this interesting, as it's always bothered me that Mainstage doesn't provide any transformer-like object for you to modify incoming midi messages with.

I've worked around this a bit using a little application called Midipipe (it's free!). It creates a virtual midi port in and a virtual midi port out. You can route your button's control message to a channel in mainstage going to the Midipipe input, convert the message to a midi note, and have Midipipe's output route into the instrument you're trying to trigger sounds out of in Mainstage.

I've tried this on my computer here in front of me, seems to work just fine. In most cases, however, it's probably much simpler to edit the settings of your controller to send note data instead of button data.