i have no more music in me

I need some help .

I have all the gear a man can dream of Protools HD3 with Control24 - LogicPro - mpc3000- ns10 - all the plugins ( about 80 ) a can dream of Mic´s preamp´s ( The good ones ) great Recording room ok skill´s ( MI for 1 year in Piano ) you know i am pro . I have made 15 cd´s 5 mega hit´s so you know what i am talking about but there is one problem .

For the last year i can not right music anymore when i start to right in 5 minits i turn of my Computer and do somthing else , i just hate what i am hearing ( whrighting ) I am making an album veih a big artist and he has light my stuff and whant me to right an whole album for him , i have a righting partner and we meet 1 a mounth and go over song that we are working on . I think you know what i am trying to say maby you can help me get back on track with some input .

Thank´s

Jake

you gotta write for yourself man. write what YOU want to hear. i think you've been writing so long for other people that you have this preconception of what a good song is. a good song is a song that is good...to you. this may sound cliche, but write from the heart. don't write what you think people want to hear, cuz then they are telling you what good music is. write what you want to hear and be happy if people like it or not. good luck.

Jake, I believe we all go through this at some point...

Try a few things: try NOT to write: instead, spend some time trying to design the perfect bass sound, or perfect pad sound... maybe it will inspire you.

Limit yourself. Sometimes with so many instruments at your disposition it's easy to get lost. Try to write a song with only TWO piano notes at a time and melody. Or try to write something with just drums and vocals. You get the idea...

Another thing that helped me a lot is to separate the writing process from the criticizing myself process. One day I just write a bunch of ideas, chord progressions, melodies, lyrics. The next morning I listen to them and sort it all out. But on the first day, I don't even allow myself to judge ANYTHING. I just write.

Just a few ideas, there are many more out there. Best of luck, and don't give up.

man can identify with this. writers block - worst feeling in the world. to a certain extent i am going through it myself at the moment with a big project opportunity - so much so i am close to pulling out.

david has given great advice - best advice i can give is to take a song you really admire and copy it, note for note. try to recreate it, and try to discover how they did the things they did. chances it will almost be impossible to copy exactly but in endeavouring to head down that path, others will open before you.

i tried this technique on my current project and have been successful to a point. i generated some reeally good ideas and strong music. unfortunately for me, i am juggling energy, atmosphere, coolness, quirkiness, and tone. that's the brief. i can just about feel what it needs to be but i just can't quite realize it. the musics good but i am not sure if it has the right tone.....very frustrating.

i really know what your going through. i know that feeling of procrastination - every cell in your body is screaming 'no, no, no' and you just want to get away from the computer, but even as you step away you know you shouldn't. what you need is INSPIRATION. there's some advice on this thread, but you need to find it no matter what.

Go somewhere else for a day with just a notebook and hand held tape recorder. Sit on the top of a mountain or looking out over a deserted coastline and just write down stuff that comes into your head or hum/sing melodic idea's into the tape machine.

You can't expect to be creative in a room full of gear - you have to stimulate your creative side rather than your logical, technical side.

I go to art galleries, hill walking and anywhere else where there's creative inspiration surrounding me.

Music comes out of something else...from experiencing other things than music itself.

To me , it sounds like a burn out. Just take a break. Go away for a trip, vacation.

Most importantly, accept the fact that you can not always be at the top of your act, we are humans, not machines.

Out of difficult creative moments fresh inspiration might evolve.

Good luck

Ben

two words: Motorcycle Therapy :D

A hour on the bike cleans my head like nothing else. But..I do wonder why all my stuff sounds like Johnny Cash when I first start again..hahaha.

I'm a little (ok, a lot) weird..I very seldom DO write 'for myself'. No idea why. I just love writing for my clients. BUT..I sure do love all the ideas others have posted here!! Gonna have to try a few.

thank´s alot for the comment´s maby a need to take a day or 2 and not go into my studio . Or go back tom basics with ust my macbook and logic and headphones in a sper room a have in my house . I have been listing to some of my old stuff that i did when i started in music i i realey like what i did then with just M1 and S750 so i think that only with logic i will go back to basic´s .

Jake

Hi.

I suggest that you ditch the Logic for a second and open up Garage Band in your Macbook. It is very nice to sketch songs with that app since it is so heavily simplified. You can't get lost with fancy synths, plugins and automation in Garage band so the energy gets focused to song writing.

i

It might be a good idea to stay away from logic for a day or two. I've had the same problem recently where there is so much capability in front of you it's confusing. When I get in that mode I usually just practice my chops on an acoustic piano to somewhat flush my music buffer and then I'll start to go through patches on various synths and audition sounds for no real purpose but to listen and tweak then all of a sudden BOOOOOM.

I need some help .

I have all the gear a man can dream of Protools HD3 with Control24 - LogicPro - mpc3000- ns10 - all the plugins ( about 80 ) a can dream of Mic´s preamp´s ( The good ones ) great Recording room ok skill´s ( MI for 1 year in Piano ) you know i am pro . I have made 15 cd´s 5 mega hit´s so you know what i am talking about but there is one problem .

For the last year i can not right music anymore when i start to right in 5 minits i turn of my Computer and do somthing else , i just hate what i am hearing ( whrighting ) I am making an album veih a big artist and he has light my stuff and whant me to right an whole album for him , i have a righting partner and we meet 1 a mounth and go over song that we are working on . I think you know what i am trying to say maby you can help me get back on track with some input .

Thank´s

Jake

You also cannot spell "write" :)

Seriously, although this has never happened to me thankfully I think the remedy would be to take a day to just listen to music you have always loved to remind yourself why you started doing this in th first place, for love not money probably.

Jake,

When I was back there a few months ago like yours, tried to find my answer... I found it, now I'm feeling great! I got my projects on time, got really good feedbacks.

And the question was... What' s the purpose of your life, what' s the best thing that you do, what makes you YOU?

Hope you can find your own question and answers.

Cheers, Noyan.

What' s the purpose of your life, what' s the best thing that you do, what makes you YOU? .

Wait a mn... you found the answer to that question? AND YOU'RE NOT SHARING?!!! I want to know! What's the purpose of my life? What makes me me? I wish I knew.

Reminds me of the hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy, where they build a super giant computer that is so powerful that it can calculate the Ultimate Answer to Life, the Universe, and Everything. Still takes the computer (named Deep Thought) 7 1/2 million years to find the answer. And the answer?

42!

"I checked it very thoroughly," said the computer, "and that quite definitely is the answer. I think the problem, to be quite honest with you, is that you've never actually known what the question is."

I totally agree with you David.

But those are my questions. The ''questions'' depend on the answers for me. And you know, everybody has his/her own answer that waits to be found..

Please remember what Hendrix said...

''Are You Experienced?''

Noyan.

I'm sure you know what makes me me and you just don't want to share! :mrgreen:

Haha.. I'm just kidding.

In all seriousness though, I had it all figured out when I was 16. I understood the meaning of life, what I was doing here on earth and what my lifegoal was. Now I'm not so sure anymore. I look at teenagers who seem to have it all figured out with a subtle smile inside.

Don't sell you gear, because when inspiration revisits you, you won't have the necessary instruments to express how much you missed her.

Good point, but at a certain point, when enough is enough, after selling your gear you could afford http://www.amazon.com/Wallace-Sterling-Continental-66-Piece-Flatware/dp/B0001ZILB4/sr=1-1/qid=1161204003/ref=sr_1_1/002-3571397-7608031?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden

And with a few pots and pans, you can always revisit creative lane, when inspiration blows your way :)

Don't sell you gear, because when inspiration revisits you, you won't have the necessary instruments to express how much you missed her.

Good point, but at a certain point, when enough is enough, after selling your gear you could afford http://www.amazon.com/Wallace-Sterling-Continental-66-Piece-Flatware/dp/B0001ZILB4/sr=1-1/qid=1161204003/ref=sr_1_1/002-3571397-7608031?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden

And with a few pots and pans, you can always revisit creative lane, when inspiration blows your way :)

:lol: Good point. You could use those to beat on tables and walls to really jam out

if you don't do it already... try some yoga. it works for me. i started yoga 6 years ago and my head was never clearer.... i started with few minutes a day and i progressed slowly to 10-15-20... till i got to 1 hour.

now i do it around 1 hour , sometimes more , sometimes less but every day.

if you or any one is patient - yoga could be tons of help. it helped me so much that i can not believe...

musically... i come form jazz... so just sit down and improvise. no one needs to be jazz musician in order to improvise.

impro is the answer; makes you feel fresh.

i agree with many people in this topic... do it for your self.

bal

if you don't do it already... try some yoga. just sit down and improvise. no one needs to be jazz musician in order to improvise.

impro is the answer; makes you feel fresh.

i agree with many people in this topic... do it for your self.

bal

Sounds great..

• 1 month later...

I started to study recording arts because I had such an interest in music, and the emotional response it gives me. But then when my studies were finished, which was last year, I kind of lost my focus in music for a while, even my interest in music vanished. I think this was because I get obsessed with the sound, so I had trouble enjoying the music. As a result I also had this huge writersblock...

I kind of solved this problem now. What i did was spend some time every day playing all cd's records and mp3's, whatever I had, and just focus on enjoying the music on an emotional level. Then whatever track I thought was great, which triggered a strongest emotional response, got organised in my 'favorite tracks section'. since then I'm back on track basically. I got a better Idea if what I really like musically but also sonically now, just because I study the music I really really like. I know exactly what I want to write know, so I'll sit down and say I'll record a beat that's a bit like that track and try to make that athmosphere of that other track but then better... Now i really get the feeling I'm casing the magic again..

I still stand by my 'get a motorcycle' theory :) Nothing clears the head like an hour on the bike in the mountains.

when I get writers block, I just don't force it. I do SOMETHING else, totally NOT music related (ok..unless I've got a deadline..then I do random searches and click in the iTunes store and listed to stuff I've never heard of before and try to glean some inspiration).

of course...a glass of wine helps too :lol:

I would second the idea that you might try listening to music in the old 'listener' mode, on a regular stereo, and just for the enjoyment. That's helped me really enjoy music again. And maybe your studio's Fung-schwei (sp?) is off (I'm serious) and you need to find a more comfortable spot. You even said yourself you had success back in the bedroom etc.