9.1.2 - major performance drop on quads-potential fix posted

mconnelly

The core CPU "fix" in 9.1.2 actually disables use of hyperthreading that worked on quad machines in 9.1.1 and earlier. This causes a major drop in CPU performance on quads, it has been confirmed by a number of users on other boards.

I'd strongly recommend that people either hold off on installing 9.1.2 or only install after being sure you have a backup of 9.1.1. Hopefully Apple will address this major issue with a 9.1.3 ASAP.

EDIT: a command line has been posted that looks like it fixes the issue, I tested it and performance is back up to its previous level.

In Terminal:

defaults write com.apple.logic.pro MD_AllowVirtualCoresQuad -bool yes

They warn that it may not be as stable, but shouldn't be any worse than 9.1.1 was. To reverse it, same thing with no instead of yes.

Edited by mconnelly

The core CPU "fix" in 9.1.2 actually disables use of hyperthreading that worked on quad machines in 9.1.1 and earlier. This causes a major drop in CPU performance on quads, it has been confirmed by a number of users on other boards.

I'd strongly recommend that people either hold off on installing 9.1.2 or only install after being sure you have a backup of 9.1.1. Hopefully Apple will address this major issue with a 9.1.3 ASAP.

What makes you think its 'disabling hyper-threading?"

Also, would you please provide links to other forums where the evidence of this issue is more clear. I just got a 12 core Mac Pro and it seems to run pretty well.

I always back up the last few versions just in case. 9.1.1 has been very reliable for me.

BOOOOO!!! Performance loss on MacBook Pro 3,1 (Early 2008) C2D 2.2GHz 4G RAM.

The pedalboard won't allow me to wah-wah with the mouse anymore either :(

Overall "funk" in general with this update!!!! I freaking was so happy when I saw macosxaudio tweeted the release of this...major letdown thus far...

Also, would you please provide links to other forums where the evidence of this issue is more clear. I just got a 12 core Mac Pro and it seems to run pretty well.

With 9.1.1 on a quad, Logic uses the HT cores (looking in Activity Monitor shows use on all 8 CPU meters). With 9.1.2, only the main cores are used on those machines, and available CPU power is greatly reduced.

There are threads with a number of people confirming this on gearslutz and the apple support board. I haven't seen a single post from a quad user saying their CPU power is the same with this version.

If you have a quad you can test and compare for yourself, just be sure to keep a copy of 9.1.1.

With 9.1.1 on a quad, Logic uses the HT cores (looking in Activity Monitor shows use on all 8 CPU meters). With 9.1.2, only the main cores are used on those machines, and available CPU power is greatly reduced.

There are threads with a number of people confirming this on gearslutz and the apple support board. I haven't seen a single post from a quad user saying their CPU power is the same with this version.

If you have a quad you can test and compare for yourself, just be sure to keep a copy of 9.1.1.

Thanks for the info.

I've got 12 physical cores each with a physical FPU (floating point unit). It seems to be rocking pretty nice here. The big CPU meter shows 12 meters which I assume is one for each physical core.

Are you have trouble playing back projects that ran close to max CPU before? or are you assuming its less because there are less meters present?

—bs—

BOOOOO!!! Performance loss on MacBook Pro 3,1 (Early 2008) C2D 2.2GHz 4G RAM.

The pedalboard won't allow me to wah-wah with the mouse anymore either :(

Overall "funk" in general with this update!!!! I freaking was so happy when I saw macosxaudio tweeted the release of this...major letdown thus far...

Hey, I just checked out Pedalboard, and you are right, the mouse no longer controls the pedal. I did notice though that if you open up the extended parameters and assign Macro A to WAH position, that you can use the slider to move the pedal.

Sorry to be a twit ........ but when you refer to the Quad ...... are you referring to Dual Quad Core ...... I have a MacPro version 3,1 Quad Core Xeon ( with 2 x 3ghz Quad Core processor ....... I'm not sure I understand exactly which Mac Pro is referred to here?

Same question here.

I run a 2x2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon.

So far I'm holding on the update, but if anyone could point to us wich models are concerned exactly it would be of great help.

Thank you very much for your time ! :)

Hi Alexis

This has just appeared on the Apple Logic forum in answer to the same question:

affected machines are 4-core machines and iMacs, not 8-core computers.

When "Quad" is referred to they don't appear to mean 2 x 4 ....... I will just wait a little while longer before upgrading myself! This problem is creating serious havoc for some and best be safe and sure.

Best

Dick

I just upgraded on my 2008 2.8ghz 8 core and I can immediately see an improvement. The last project I worked on before upgrading has a couple of instances of Revalver and some other pretty demanding third party plug ins and it will now play through smoothly in real time with Revalver in 64 bit mixdown mode, which it couldn't do at all before. So far so good!

Logic disables HT at system level ? can't that just be turned back on via xcode ?

t;]The core CPU "fix" in 9.1.2 actually disables use of hyperthreading that worked on quad machines in 9.1.1 and earlier. This causes a major drop in CPU performance on quads, it has been confirmed by a number of users on other boards.

Are you have trouble playing back projects that ran close to max CPU before? or are you assuming its less because there are less meters present?

Not just meters, there's a huge difference in actual CPU performance.

A specific example - a session that had 50 tracks of a plugin on 9.1.1 (almost maxed out) can only play back about 30-35 tracks on 9.1.2. Giant decrease in performance.

Logic disables HT at system level ? can't that just be turned back on via xcode ?

The app doesn't disable HT at the system level. 9.1.1 used to use HT on the quads and the use of them by Logic has been taken out in 9.1.2, causing a big loss of CPU power on those machines.

Protools HD Native is looking pretty tempting. Apple needs to fix this quick. I haven't updated but the thought of it not being fixed for future updates really scares me. If they are screwing up my computer intentionally (that I just spent thousands on less than a year ago, RAM drives etc. specifically for Logic.) then they can kiss it. I will then move to Protools HD or other and not look back. Don't get me wrong. I am pulling for them and love Logic 9.1.1, but this is serious and must be addressed.

- Now keep in mind I am not speaking from experience as I have not updated to 9.1.2 on my QUAD CORE NEHALEM Mac Pro. I have however seen enough posts around the net stating that indeed on the above mentioned computers, performance is halved.

My concern is if this is on purpose. SURELY SURELY NOT. Apple - please come out with a fix for this to show me it ain't so. A mistake? No problem. Show me that's all this is. 9.2.3 PLEASE - for my sanity.

My concern is if this is on purpose. SURELY SURELY NOT. Apple - please come out with a fix for this to show me it ain't so. A mistake? No problem. Show me that's all this is. 9.2.3 PLEASE - for my sanity.

My biggest concern as well. Especially in light of a comment from one of the Logic devs insisting that HT provided no benefit to logic, even though anyone running a quad could easily see that statement was false.

No problem at all, I should have linked it in the first place.

http://www.macosxaudio.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=46875&start=60

Markus Fritze:

HyperThreading "simulates" two CPUs by reusing the different - independend - unit inside one actual CPU Core. Which means: if one part of the CPU is currently not used by one "HyperThread", it can be used by a different one. Nice thing.

However, Logic mainly depends on the floating point unit (FPU) inside the CPU and there is only one inside the CPU Core. Therefore HyperThreading means no gain for an application which is heavily bound to the FPU, because there is nothing to share. That is not a bug or a software limitation.