System Overload message

natdame

Hi--

Can anyone help me figure this out?

I am getting the System Overload message when I playback and it is stopping and skipping and acting all crazy.

The HD CPU is spiking. What can I do to fix that?

I have twenty tracks and twenty instruments, the piece is only 3 minutes long, and I haven't used a single effect or anything.

Also, I am getting this message when I play the DEMO (The Numbers Game). Why is it happening on the Demo???

46827194_Screenshot2010-11-22at2_19_42PM.png.779a1d1889358a6aeed00763aba2dbea.png

49197343_Screenshot2010-11-22at2_19_42PM.png.a3f97c6038a1d00dfe8abc0332c69b91.png

Ok.. just for starters...

What type of Mac?

What version of Logic?

What version of the OS?

What type of Drive are you working with? (Internal/External and 5400 or 7200 rpm.. and if external, is it USB/Firewire and how is it formatted?).

Are the tracks audio/midi/mixed?

What audio interface?

This info is needed in order to even begin to help.... and is probably worth adding to your sig line much as myself and Eric above, have done so... for future reference

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,3

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 6 MB

Memory: 4 GB

Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

I am using Logic 9. I am not using an external interface. All the tracks are midi tracks. You're right. I should add it to my signature line... I'll do that now.

natdame, you didn't answer Eric:

How much space do you have left on your System drive?

But for now you're trying to playback a pretty heavy project from a compact 5,400rpm drive that is also your system drive. Far from being an optimal way to playback projects.

Also it would help if you told us exactly what the alert you're getting is saying. Not "something like... blah blah" but exactly the text of the alert, word for word.

Especially while you're working on it. The ideal would be to get an eSATA card and an eSATA drive, but if you can't afford that then an exteranl FW800 7,200rpm SATA drive should already give you some improvement over what you're experiencing now.

Buying a separate interface won't help with this issue, no.

My guess is some of the instruments you're using are 3rd party sample playback libraries?

hi all, i am rather worried after reading this thread, i was going to start my own thread for advice but cam across this first ....

basically as u can see from my signature strip i have very old software and computer, my much needed upgrade is round the corner with it being christmas and also some money i have been saving for the up grade.

i was hoping to buy just a macbook, maybe a macbook pro.. 15 or 17 inch depending on available funds .. and then upgrade to logic 9 :D (soo excited) but i am a little lost now. computers isnt really my strongest subject when it comes to whats being talked about above.. are we saying a macbook is not sufficient to run logic 9 and create projects using many instruments and plug ins at once ? on my current system i get the overload immediately more or less as soon as i have several tracks and plug ins.. are we also saying its a bad idea to save samples from various packs and downloads to the same computer the software is being run on ??? i am totally confused now..

what is the best option for someone with not so much money to spend to be able to enjoy logic and get learning from you guys.. i feel years behind with logic pro 7, i just want to feel part of your family lol

learning from you guys is top of my agenda for 2011

respect to you all and hope you can help me out

regards

david

Especially while you're working on it. The ideal would be to get an eSATA card and an eSATA drive, but if you can't afford that then an exteranl FW800 7,200rpm SATA drive should already give you some improvement over what you're experiencing now.

Any one in particular you recommend? How should I start shopping for one?

Thanks.

£ddi£, please start your own new thread with your own questions, thanks!

natdame, I like to use dealmac.com to find the best deal on the largest 7,200rpm internal SATA drive I can find. I like the brands Seagate, Hitachi, Samsung. Then I find a FW800 enclosure with no fan, cheaper the better. Then you open the enclosure place your drive in it, close it back, and there you go: you have your own homemade external SATA drive that's much cheaper AND much better than any pre-made external SATA drive you can find out there. :wink:

But if you can't be bothered, there are other options:

http://www.macsales.com/

http://g-technology.com/products/g-drive.cfm

etc...

Fw800 enclosures are not so common. And they're more expensive.

None of the macsales (OWC) drives are ok for you? They have the quad interface ones. Great drives. Or you can buy the enclosure and drives separate, see which one is cheaper.

Or try the Iomega eGO fw800 drives, 1 TB for 120 bucks on Amazon, no tax, free shipping.