This update:  

13 members have voted

1. 1. This update:

• Improved my Mac significantly
    • Made no difference
    • caused issues
    • is useless

True.

Don't you think that will be a question of time? I mean, before everybody wants to have their apps on App Store.

Also, what about plug-ins? I would certainly love to sell my upcoming mastering plug-in via the App Store.

I think the idea is that eventually, all Mac software will be bought from the App Store. That way, Apple make 30% on all 3rd-party software sales.

Don't you think that will be a question of time? I mean, before everybody wants to have their apps on App Store.

Also, what about plug-ins? I would certainly love to sell my upcoming mastering plug-in via the App Store.

It's kind of like, "Welcome to the Borg."

I don't agree. I loathe this concept. It feels wrong. It's monopolistic. It's the ultimate expression of Apple corporate megalomania. And of course, the "cult of Apple" is quite overrated.

Lagerfeldt, of course I wish you the greatest success in selling your plugin. I just hope that you don't have to enter into an exclusive deal with them, and that you can retain the rights to sell your plugin independently as well.

Jobs has said that, unlike the iOS App Store, this won't be the only way to purchase apps for the Mac OS. Granted, he's disproved his own words time and time again (video iPod, iPhone, etc. anyone?), but I'm really hoping this isn't one of those cases.

That said, as a guy who's trying to build a startup publishing company that will be selling some proprietary software, I'm optimistic about the potential marketing simplicity to be had. How I'll get to the Windows users, I'm still trying to plot out.

True.

Yes, perhaps!... I'm somewhere between Ski and a less dystopian vision on this one. Definitely a wait and see... Hopefully the days when buying software without revealing my identity or signing in using my iTunes account aren't gone...

Lagerfeldt, that's a great plug for you er... plug-in. ;-)

Do you have any info on your plugin you can share before it's release date?

I don't agree. I loathe this concept. It feels wrong. It's monopolistic. It's the ultimate expression of Apple corporate megalomania. And of course, the "cult of Apple" is quite overrated.

I saw an announcement on MSNBC the other day where Apple's Market Valuation is now over $300 Billion, making them the 2nd largest US company, behind only Exxon-Mobil. Wow how things change, it seems as if only 8 years ago many people were writing Apple off for good. Then came the iPhone. 8)

Had a Mac since 1985 - Had stock, then stupidly sold it off when it hit $70.00, Whoo-hoo - I'm a dumbass (facepalm) for that - it's now over $300 with a split. :oops:

I understand having an app store for iPhone/iPad because it's actually the only way you can download software to your device. But for a computer? Seems a little unnecessary to me. Yes it will help some developers get word out about their new apps, but this seems like is set up to be most beneficial for Apple. :?

Lagerfeldt, of course I wish you the greatest success in selling your plugin. I just hope that you don't have to enter into an exclusive deal with them, and that you can retain the rights to sell your plugin independently as well.

Thanks.

I don't think that Apple will ask for exclusivity, in which case I won't be selling it through the App Store.

I'm not that worried about Apple's monopoly in terms of pricing etc., what I'm very worried about is that iTunes are censoring my song titles and App Stores are rejecting any apps with naked women.

That kind of censorship happens when people take political correctness and multiply it with fear or stupidity and then add a bit of arrogance on top.

I'm not that worried about Apple's monopoly in terms of pricing etc., what I'm very worried about is that iTunes are censoring my song titles and App Stores are rejecting any apps with naked women.

That kind of censorship happens when people take political correctness and multiply it with fear or stupidity and then add a bit of arrogance on top.

Well with iPhone users at 43% women, what we need is for the naked women to demand apps that feature naked men. Maybe that'll shake Apple's corporate booty.

Of course, there's no excuse pulling the WikiLeaks app from the iTunes store. They really caved there.

Had a Mac since 1985 - Had stock, then stupidly sold it off when it hit $70.00, Whoo-hoo - I'm a dumbass (facepalm) for that - it's now over $300 with a split. :oops:

yeah..I bought 200 shares at $7.00 a share the day before Steve Jobs came back. I sold it at $21.00. Glad I tripled my $$, but, if my math is right, based on the splits and current price, I left about $$100k on the table had I held it til now.