Sudden Blasts of White Noise

Plax

Ok, this is pretty sick. I thought this was my fault, but searching over the Internet I found many people is having this problem. I'm getting sudden blasts of white noise, deafening stuff if you have your headphones on. I read people having this problem while recording audio tracks, but I'm experiencing this crazy stuff mostly when working on VSL tracks. Apple doesn't have any answer for this, apparently they say it's not their fault (that's what I read on Apple's forums). Does anyone of you ever had this problem? Is there any solution?

By the way, I'm on a IMac, 2,66 Intel Core Duo, 8GB Ram, Logic 9.1.3 and 10.6.6 OS (combo update).

Thanks Scott, I already bumped into that thread. No solution at all. I read many things about this problem and the most convincing explanation was from this guy who basically suggested a reverb-related bug. It seems like this problem is going on from Logic 7, don't know why Apple doesn't fix it.

There is a long post on this forum about the White Noise:

Topic: http://www.logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=52845&highlight=white+noise+overload

The issue from my experience is within LOGIC and needs Apple to address it.

It has distorted my very expensive Quested speakers - lucky it was not through a headset.

My work-around to avoid any further damage was to place an external dB limiter on my audio out to stop any further assaults on my ears and since then I have not experienced any further dB overload on my hearing.

By the way I have a standard LP installation with NO plugins or other software - just simple audio track project in LP when the noise exploded right off the scale in my studio.

The problem occurred when I glued two audio regions together.

I posted the issue to Apple but have not heard of any solution or investigation of the issue.

In MHO this is a really serious issue in Logic with physical consequences - not just an annoying software bug for which you find a workaround - anyway my dB signal limiter is a permanent work-around that I will not take out of my audio chain.

Hope to hear from the programmers soon. ':lol:'

• 1 month later...

i just experienced this a few minutes ago

my ears are still recovering from the blast :shock:

i did not have any plugins open what so ever so it's not specifically related to the plugins.

i was busy tracking an acoustic through headphones with sudden ear piercing white noise

i did however get a popup in logic at the same time stating an insufficient amount of disk space and asking me if i wanted to continue

Rather odd because i have more than 200+ gb of space free :?:

Hopefully this issue will be addressed quickly before i turn deaf

that overloaded white noise could be very dangerous if one had some problems with hearing/ears, might easily damage eardrums and (hope not!) probably temporarily deafen the hearing ability. Having said this, Apple could easily be sued for being irresponsible and causing health damage. Complete idiots the are...honeslty, it;s a shame that such a beatiful daw is owned by bunch of moneymaking dorks :(

i did not have any plugins open what so ever so it's not specifically related to the plugins.

i was busy tracking an acoustic through headphones with sudden ear piercing white noise

i did however get a popup in logic at the same time stating an insufficient amount of disk space and asking me if i wanted to continue

I'm discussing this very problem with someone at Apple. Please post back and let me know what version of Logic are you running. Thanks.

According to my contact at Apple, 9.1.3 contains a 'safety feature' that will prevent playback of any corrupted audio files that would otherwise result in blasts of noise. I personally cannot vouch for how well this works, but maybe it would be a good thing to investigate and possibly update to that version.

I also agree with triplets that updating from 9.0.0 would be a good idea. 9.0.2 would be a good place to start.

According to my contact at Apple, 9.1.3 contains a 'safety feature' that will prevent playback of any corrupted audio files that would otherwise result in blasts of noise. I personally cannot vouch for how well this works, but maybe it would be a good thing to investigate and possibly update to that version.

I also agree with triplets that updating from 9.0.0 would be a good idea. 9.0.2 would be a good place to start.

Users from other forums reported that "safety feature" doesnt do anything, still blasts out in 9.1.3

Thanks. Yes, I'm aware of the reports that white noise blasts still occur in 9.1.3 despite the supposed safety mechanism they've added to software. It's really so much more than just "quite a shame". It's frikkin' dangerous.

BTW, which forums are you reading reports of 9.1.3 noise blasts on?

I've experienced this only once I think, a couple weeks ago. At the time I was mixing through my monitors, and it scared THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS out of me! My heart was thumping in my throat for several minutes. It lasted perhaps a couple seconds, but it was enough to make my ears ring.

I don't know if this is related somehow, but I've noticed that when I've been working on a project for at least a couple of hours or so, changing notes, adding tracks and plugins, etc., Logic will start to act a little squirrelly, and start making pops more frequently during playback (on un-frozen tracks). If I allow this to continue, I'll eventually crash, so, I've learned to shut Logic down and reopen, and this seems to fix the problem. Because of this I've learned to save a lot more frequently, which is something I forget quickly when getting into my "zone".

Maybe there's an issue with a cache or something somewhere filling up?

-Bruce

As my profile shows this happened for me in 9.1.3. So no "Safety Feature" functioning in my program.

Very small project - no plugins. I just glued two small non-contiguous audio files together.

No error messages from LP 9.1.3, nothing just the incredibly loud noise on play-back.

Ho hum -

Posted to Apple ages ago but have heard nothing. :shock:

Could it be that it has nothing to do with Logic? I remember from a year ago (or so) I was messing around with Amplitube 2 Suite and that exploded in white noise as well. That also happened when I was only running X-Gear outside of Logic/MainStage/whatever. They seem to have fixed it, and now I haven't had a blast in ages.

I've had this happen and it's terrifying. I've had to rip my headphones off when it happens, usually during a Logic crash.

However I haven't had it happen in about a year. According to Apple's release notes (http://support.apple.com/kb/ts2565 ) in 9.1.1 they fixed "Exported Open TL files no longer sometimes contain unexpected noise bursts" and "There is no longer an unexpected burst of noise when switching to certain Amp Designer plug-in settings during playback."

As you're running 9.1.3 I'm not sure what to tell you. At the studio I work at they have had this problem since Logic 7, but it has been better for all of us with 9.1.3. We use Bidule at work and I use VE Pro at home, so perhaps offloading the memory into other programs has helped Logic's stability.

• 4 years later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm discussing this very problem with someone at Apple. Please post back and let me know what version of Logic are you running. Thanks.

I am also discussing this with someone at apple: in 2016!!! What the ƒÜç

• 1 year later...

Hey all, I didn't realize all these comments were 6 yrs. old ! 

Well , I have this prob. now. It's happen 3 times in the past 2 wks.  Very disturbing. It happens during playback and editing. Any help would be great.

Thank you,

Jim.

by the way my system is Macbook pro mid 2012 /I have a ton of free space on the the system memory disc /upgraded to 8 gigs of ram. I also have 2 external HDs one for backup and one to save my Logic projects to, I was told that by doing this I would have a more efficient recording system, please correct me if  I'm wrong.

Logic pro x newest version

Thanks again,

Jim.

...for me, I've only used usb interfaces...the problem is not likely lpx itself, or there would be way more of us bitching...there is just not enough information here to even hazard a reasonable guess at to the cause/s...in the "meantime" you could use "Ice9" set to 0DBFS as the final plug on the 2bus...anything over that and you get zero output...had it that way for a long time now...hth.../s~

...for me, I've only used usb interfaces...the problem is not likely lpx itself, or there would be way more of us bitching...there is just not enough information here to even hazard a reasonable guess at to the cause/s...in the "meantime" you could use "Ice9" set to 0DBFS as the final plug on the 2bus...anything over that and you get zero output...had it that way for a long time now...hth.../s~

The problem is the blasts don't care what is on the masterbus, it goes straight full scale out of the speakers.