Automation Trouble

rainstick

how do... im having some strange automation problem at the moment - for some reason a few of the tracks in my current project think that their default volume level is -33.6 ...

if i delete all volume automation and reset the channel to 0 it zap's back to -33.6 afterwards... the channels set to read mode, there are no midi controller's plugged in

I'm pretty confused so any help would be really appreciated!

if i have the automation mode set to off it still happen's,

it's on midi tracks, although it now happen's (or i didn't previously notice... ) on any track, audio or midi.

If i press stop - the click on any track that has a value of zero - it will jump down to -33.6 when i press play... i really don't get it

if i have the automation mode set to off it still happen's,

it's on midi tracks, although it now happen's (or i didn't previously notice... ) on any track, audio or midi.

If i press stop - the click on any track that has a value of zero - it will jump down to -33.6 when i press play... i really don't get it

Does it happen just on one project or all projects?

What happens if you create a new project, does it still happen?

doesn't happen on any previous projects or if i create a new project, just this one!

Two things you could consider trying.

1. You could try trashing preferences.

Macintosh HD/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.logic.pro.plist

Quit Logic, then move this file to the desktop, then relaunch Logic. Is the problem solved? If yes, you had a bad preferences file. If not, quit Logic and put the file back where you found it (replacing the new one that Logic just created).

2. You may have a corrupt file/project. You could try Importing your project into a new project and see if that clears up the issue.

i don't really understand the first one - would that not mean that ALL logic song's would be affected, ? it only seems to be this one.

2 - do you mean save the song as a new project, ?

cheers

Try #2 first. No don't Save As, Import to a NEW empty project. Here's a link to the manual on how to Import Data and Settings from another Project.

hi - just done that.

it SEEMS to have solved the random automation thing, so thanks very much for that =)

one thing - some mix setting's seem to have been lost (routing to bus's) as well as a few arpeggiator's, is this usual, ?

You should get everything if you select everything.

In Logics Browser window you can select every line by click/holding and dragging over all of them and then press the Right Arrow key to select all checkboxes of the selected line(s), or the Left Arrow key to deselect them. See attachment.

import.thumb.png.4fcb9d2b5e22b8e6990ac86ca3323e03.png

i think i ticked all the boxs... maybe it just dropped a few things, i've pretty much got the mix back now anyway.

Eric, not too sure what you mean by that, i put a monitor box in the environment and there was a sign, 1 7 13... doesn't mean a fat lot to me though!

thanks for the help =)

i think i ticked all the boxs... maybe it just dropped a few things, i've pretty much got the mix back now anyway.

Eric, not too sure what you mean by that, i put a monitor box in the environment and there was a sign, 1 7 13... doesn't mean a fat lot to me though!

thanks for the help =)

Select a problematic region.

Press E on you Mac keyboard.

Do you see any CC7 messages.

If you do:

Select one.

Then choose select similar events.

Delete.

Have you tried checking the event list for CC7 or CC10

Yup. I thought the exact same thing until he said it also happens on Audio tracks.

Weird.

It's possible to have RBA on an Audio region.

But the problem seems to be solved.

So everything is fine now.

Edited by Eric Cardenas

it was odd, because it wasn't just on specific regions, it would just happen when i selected a track, so if i clicked on Audio track 12, pressed stop, then pressed play again, the volume would automatically drop down to -33.6 or whatever it was, was quite annoying!

i guess it was just a glitch or something, hopefully it doesn't leave that file.

i put a monitor box in the environment and there was a sign, 1 7 13... doesn't mean a fat lot to me though!

Where exactly did you place this monitor? Between what and what? If it ain't RBA then it's got to be coming from outside Logic...

PS: That's Channel 1, Controller 7 (Volume), and a value of 13.

J.

Edited by Jordi Torres

i put a monitor box in the environment and there was a sign, 1 7 13... doesn't mean a fat lot to me though!

Where exactly did you place this monitor? Between what and what? If it ain't RBA then it's got to be coming from outside Logic...

J.

Yes probably a controller sending MIDI events.

Specially when he gets it by selecting a track.

the monitor was placed in the environment, i just cabled the track into the monitor to see what happened when ' it ' happened... more so i could re-lay it to someone than comprehend it myself.

I thought about the midi thing - but there were no midi controller's connected, so i don't see how it could be that.. it's literally just logic bugging out ( i think)

also - it didn't happen immediately - it was when i selected a track, pressed stop - then pressed play.

You say it could be the audio interface - that's connected by firewire 800 (although the actual interface is just firewire 400)

it's got nothing else plugged in.

i'm back running now, i imported the setting's and sorted the mix out. It was a bit of a funny one though.

thank's all =)

so the only culprit could be his m-audio interface...which happens to have MIDI I/O.

I still think it was just a corrupt project.

doesn't happen on any previous projects or if i create a new project, just this one!

I would think that if it was a device causing the problem it would happen on all of his projects, at least randomly.