Using sidechain compression for dynamic movement [SOLVED]

Oxygen

So I want to set up my compressor and a sidechain to create "dynamic movement.." Basically what i want to do is:

Take a synth I have playing, feed it into a compressor and a kick into its side-chain. With this I can make the settings of the compressor so that every time the kick hits, the synth will attenuate and then rise again quickly until the kick hits again, therefore making the kick more noticeable in the mix.

This is a technique I read about but am confused about how to actually set up and feed the compressor with the synth and the kick to make this work. I hope I was specific enough with what I am trying to accomplish (if not I can try and elaborate more). Any input is appreciated, thanks!

From your question it sounds like you already know how to do it! Maybe you're just unsure how to do it with logic.

All you need to do is:

1. Create the send from your kick

- Go to sends on your kick's channel strip and choose a bus. (bus 1 for example. It doesn't matter which one)

- Press command2 or just hit x to open your mixer. Go to the aux channel strip that has bus 1 as an input. Change the output (stereo out) to 'no output'. (This prevents the double up of your kick going to the stereo bus.)

2. Insert the compressor plugin on your synth

- Go to a free insert on your synth's channel strip.

- Choose the compressor plugin. (Choose dynamics, compressor, stereo)

- In the top right of the compressor plugin window, you'll see 'side chain' and a drop down window with 'none' currently selected. Simply click and choose the bus you've sent from your kick. (Bus 1 in this example)

Now you can drop down your compressor threshold, increase your ratio, lower the knee value, change over to 'Peak' and turn up the gain and press play. Your synth will be pumping along to your kick. Adjust your attack and release settings to suit the rhythm of the pumping and relax all the settings I just listed to make the effect more subtle.

Have fun