Bypass a mixer insert slot on all channels at once?

JT3_Jon

Hello,

Is it possible to bypass an insert slot for all channels at once? I know can insert/remove a plugin across multiple channels at once by selecting them in the mixer and while they are all highlighted add the plugin, but I can't seem to get it to bypass that plugin all at once (I have to manually click on each channel). I know protools can do this. Is it possible in Logic?

Thanks,

Jon

As shiver has said, you can rig things like this up in the environment in a variety of ways. Rather than cabling them together, I'd probably end up creating a few buttons to the side of the audio channels eg "Bypass All #1", "Bypass All #2" etc.

However, Logic's dynamic handling of audio objects could be a problem with this type of stuff, so you might want to turn that off and use a more fixed pre-cabling scheme of audio objects when using these methods...

Very cool!! I like the idea of a button that bypasses all slot 1, etc. I'll have to give this a go and see what happens. I can imagine having it also setup with midi CC's controlling these bypass buttons, so on my controller I can hit a physical button set to the same midi CC and bypass at will!

The only potential "issue" I see with this method (besides the fact that I don't know what I'm doing yet :-) ) is the fact that splitters are limited to 16 channels, but I would imagine I could chain a couple of them together, right? Also, every time I add a new instrument/audio track, bus, etc, I'll have to add it to the chain. As someone who doesn't use templates (at least not with instruments / tracks setup) this could be a drag.

But you all have inspired me to give it a go. Thanks Shiver and BeeJay!

Here's the thing...

First we have to distinguish between instrument channels and other kinds of channel strips because the numbering of the insert slots is slightly different between them. That aside, and using audio channel strips as an example, say, all of their insert slots are numbered the same and will respond to the same "fader" commands (a MIDI-like command that's specific to Logic) to bypass/activate a plug in that slot. So let's say you had one evironment button that output the appropriate fader command to bypass the plugin in slot 1 of an audio channel. If you were to simply drag additional cables from that button and connect them to other audio channels, the one button could be used to bypass the effects in slot 1 of all of them.

Shiv, question for you... what's your transformer doing?

Here's the thing...

First we have to distinguish between instrument channels and other kinds of channel strips because the numbering of the insert slots is slightly different between them. That aside, and using audio channel strips as an example, say, all of their insert slots are numbered the same and will respond to the same "fader" commands (a MIDI-like command that's specific to Logic) to bypass/activate a plug in that slot. So let's say you had one evironment button that output the appropriate fader command to bypass the plugin in slot 1 of an audio channel. If you were to simply drag additional cables from that button and connect them to other audio channels, the one button could be used to bypass the effects in slot 1 of all of them.

Thanks for letting me know that instrument channels behave differently then audio channels when it comes to bypassing inserts. Thats good to know! I should be able to get around this by making the "bypass" button for audio tracks, and a different one for instrument, and to trigger them together have both buttons react to the same midi CC, and then chain them together.

I'll have to dive in and see what happens. I'll report my progress. Thanks again!

Here's the thing...

Shiv, question for you... what's your transformer doing?

It is Transforming, Duh!! :P

It basically filters #56 on the Instrument tracks. There are many ways to do this and we have done all this years ago in prior posts.

Like this:

Edited by shivermetimbers

• 1 year later...

UPDATE: For what I'm going for (bypassing inserts while mixing) I found a much easier solution using controller assignments. I've simply assigned a button on my midi controller to bypass the first insert of the selected fader, and the next 11 faders (and 2nd button for insert 2, 3rd button for insert 3). I chose to do it this way because I dont know how many instrument/audio/aux tracks I'll use in any given project, so this gives me the flexibility of muting based on faders and not through specific objects via the environment method. I also chose to only do 12 faders as again I dont know how many faders I'll need (plus I didn't want to spend all day assigning faders) and 12 seemed like a good amount to do in one go.

So if I want to hear what my mix sounds like without insert 1 in a 24 channel mix, I only have to select track 1, hit the toggle button, select track 13, hit the button and hit play. This also works well for plugin / mix comparisons as you can quickly A-B a bunch of inserts. Pretty cool! :D