Lion and Logic Express 8 [SOLVED]

bch

Today I update to Lion

Now I cannot start/use Logic Express (8.0.2)

If I try to start Logic Express by Terminal this is the output:

MacBook-BC:etc beert$ open /Applications/Logic\ Express.app

LSOpenURLsWithRole() failed with error -10664 for the file /Applications/Logic Express.app.

Thanks,

BCH

Is it the PPC code left over in version 8 that makes it incompatible with Lion? Does that mean there are no "hacks" to get it to work?

i'm glad i checked out all the software compatibility issues before i decided whether or not to upgrade to Lion. i really want to move forward with the new document model ideas Lion presents, but i guess i'll have to wait till i can afford to upgrade Logic!

The OS cost is tiny... the overall upgrade cost, though, is quite huge in this case.

Is it the PPC code left over in version 8 that makes it incompatible with Lion?

No.

Does that mean there are no "hacks" to get it to work?

No.

Trust me, producing music with computers already means you're going to spend a fair amount of time maintaining, upgrading, repairing etc... your system. I'm not sure why anyone would want to spend even more time hacking into incompatible software to make it work (and frankly that's probably impossible to do anyway). The decision is simple: if you don't want to upgrade Logic, don't upgrade your OS. If you want Lion, upgrade Logic.

To run Logic Express 8.0.2 on Lion, open Terminal and type in this exact sequence (with the spaces): open /Applications/Logic\ Express.app/Contents/MacOS/Logic\ Express

Another Terminal window should open along with Logic Express 8.0.2. Do not close this Terminal window until you are finished working in Logic.

To run Logic Express 8.0.2 on Lion, open Terminal and type in this exact sequence (with the spaces): open /Applications/Logic\ Express.app/Contents/MacOS/Logic\ Express

Another Terminal window should open along with Logic Express 8.0.2. Do not close this Terminal window until you are finished working in Logic.

GeorgeClooney, have you tried it? Does it work? Have you produced music that way? Is it stable?

I'm not sure why anyone would want to spend even more time hacking into incompatible software to make it work

Because in some cases the software actually is compatible and Apple is just blocking it from running. It has been the case with Logic and other apps in the past and it looks like that may be the case again here.

thank you for this terminal trick.

as for why I might want to do this:

I am on disability. I can afford Lion but not L9 upgrade. I'm interested in Lion for other reasons. Logic 9 isn't enough of a change for me to warrant trying to save for the upgrade. Logic 10, probably would be more cost effective for me...

This really annoyed me too. Thanks for the fix! Saves me a few hundred dollars.

Thought I would share this little trick so that you can have a one-click style icon in your dock to get logic going, rather than have to open terminal and type the script every time:

Open up Automator

Select "Application" for the new document type

Under the Library Menu, select "Utilities"

Then drag and drop "Run Shell Script" into the work flow area on the right

Then paste the script from the previous posts in there

Go File > Save, and save in on your Applications folder (or where ever you want)

Then pop a shortcut into the dock (I even changed the icon to the logic icon!)

Now when you click it, it will run the script automatically and open logic with one click

Hope that makes life a little easier

I just ordered Logic studio 9 because Logic pro 8 will not run in Lion. I haven't tried the above suggestions because I'm no good with stuff like that. Now is my question:

1. will the upgrade work or is it only possible to upgrade from Logic Studio 8 to 9 (if that exists...) ?

2 Is it possible to upgrade from within Lion to a non working program as is the case in this situation with my Logic Pro 8?

Thanks,

Jeroen Pouw

The Netherlands

Yet another method...

1) Navigate to the applications folder and Control-Click the Logic Pro or Logic Express App. Select Show Contents

2)Go to Contents/MacOS

3)Right the app in the folder or Press Command+L to create an Alias of the unix app.

4)Drag the Alias to the Stacks bar on the dock (the same area where the trash can lives).

Instant Access! The alias can also be placed on the desktop or just about anywhere else.

Enjoy!

1215670562_ScreenShot2011-08-04at8_37_33PM.png.fdd7d5f185901968e0c3cb2f39cda7ab.png

Find Logic in The Applications folder and choose Show package contents

1070320480_ScreenShot2011-08-04at8_38_06PM.png.7ad0c0cbc7c750d9081c01b8d51cb4cb.png

Contents/MacOS/Logic

333533810_ScreenShot2011-08-04at8_54_15PM.png.204f8c01430de5d6818639f1bcbfdce2.png

MAke Alias

1693421990_ScreenShot2011-08-04at8_56_22PM.thumb.png.dd5e9f501a5c0b441c5c4d1055ea9ee2.png

Drag Alias to Dock

Yet another solution! More advanced, but the real solution to fix the underlying issue by patching the exception file in Lion 10.7.0 directly. It does a checksum test, to make sure the exception file is not modified. Take this text:

=====================================

#!/usr/bin/python

import sha

# read the Exception.plist

f = open("/System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources/Exceptions.plist", "r")

buffer = f.read()

f.close()

# is the file unmodified?

if sha.new(buffer).hexdigest() != 'ff7b77ad781b659603819e9267357f19ab571224':

exit(1)

# replace the test for the minimum Lion compatible version of 9.1.2 or lower to a range from 9.0.0 to 9.1.2

buffer = buffer.replace("com.apple.logic.express\t\t\t\t1697.87", "com.apple.logic.express\t\t\t\t1660.121697.87")

buffer = buffer.replace("com.apple.logic.pro\t\t\t\t\t1697.87", "com.apple.logic.pro\t\t\t\t\t1660.121697.87")

f = open("/System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources/Exceptions.plist", "w")

f.write(buffer)

f.close()

exit(0)

=====================================

and save it as patch.py. Now launch the Terminal.app. "cd" into the folder where you saved patch,py. "chmod +x patch.py", then run it via "sudo ./patch.py". Done. Now you can just double-click Logic Pro 8, only Logic Pro/Express 9.0.0 to 9.1.2 will be blocked.

• 3 weeks later...

GeorgeClooney got's it.

I've tryed the terminal command with my logic pro 8 in Lion.

If you have pro not express, change the line to:

open /Applications/Logic\ Pro.app/Contents/MacOS/Logic\ Pro

...and start producing music again!

Thank you thank you George!

• 2 weeks later...
I'm not affected by these issues (core duo iMac cannot run Lion),

Actually, that is not strictly true. There are ways of getting Lion to run on the older Core Duo... Do a quick google of "Core Duo and Lion" to see what I mean...

Thanks for that info. (Now, if I actually google, will I regret it and spend time and money monkeying with a nicely working system....? :shock: )

Fleabag

Hi mates,

just landed in this great forum! :D

I find this topic really useful. However, I have Logic 8 installer CD in my brand new MBP CD / DVD player for the installation and I receive the error message you know.

To my understanding, the workaround works because you have Logic 8 already installed on your MAC, than you have upgraded to Lion. So, you use the workaround via workflow, reading on your HD. That's great.

However, I have the opposite issue (i.e. Lion pre installed on my new MBP and I need to start a brand new Logic 8 installation using installer CD).

Question: is there any chance to use a similar trick you mentioned?

Thanks for you help

and this is the error message I see in the console:

03/09/2011 11:57:54.636 Installer: @(#)PROGRAM:Install PROJECT:Install-684

03/09/2011 11:57:54.636 Installer: @(#)PROGRAM:Installer PROJECT:Installer-530

03/09/2011 11:57:54.636 Installer: Hardware: MacBookPro8,3 @ 2.30 GHz (x 8), 8192 MB RAM

03/09/2011 11:57:54.636 Installer: Running OS Build: Mac OS X 10.7.1 (11B26)

03/09/2011 11:57:54.723 Installer: @(#)PROGRAM:Install PROJECT:Install-684

03/09/2011 11:57:54.723 Installer: @(#)PROGRAM:Installer PROJECT:Installer-530

03/09/2011 11:57:54.723 Installer: Hardware: MacBookPro8,3 @ 2.30 GHz (x 8), 8192 MB RAM

03/09/2011 11:57:54.724 Installer: Running OS Build: Mac OS X 10.7.1 (11B26)

03/09/2011 11:57:54.762 Installer: Logic Studio Installation Log

03/09/2011 11:57:54.763 Installer: Opened from: /Volumes/Logic Studio/Installer/LogicStudio.mpkg

03/09/2011 11:57:54.767 Installer: Rosetta required to install (QuickTime MPEG2 [6748520])

03/09/2011 11:57:54.812 com.apple.coreservices.uiagent: Sep 3 11:57:54 MAUROs-MacBook-Pro.local CoreServicesUIAgent[305] : Application failed to launch (id = LogicStudio.mpkg, version = Unknown reason = kLSNoRosettaEnvironmentErr)

Plus... this thread is about running Logic EXPRESS 8 in Lion not Logic PRO 8 (or in your case 9 unless that was a typo you made?)

...and if you are running Logic Pro 9 then that version is compatible with Lion...so I'm not sure what you issue is and why you would even be trying the suggestions in this thread.

More info?