Best portable mini MIDI-Controller (LPK25/MPK, nano, ...?)

Hey everybody

I will attend to a 6 months long online Logic Pro course (http://www.dubspot.com/logic-pro/) which will start in October, and during this time I will be traveling a lot. So I need a small, portable MIDI-Controller, and because I have no experience with such devices at all, I wanted to know your opinions about what is the best solution to get.

I have already bought the KORG nanoKEY2 and nanoKONTROL2, but as a long time piano player I am very disappointed with the nanoKEY2, because it is very hard to play so it does sound natural (especially the velocity sounds very unnatural).

KORG nanoKEY2:

http://cdn.mos.musicradar.com/images/Computer%20Music/Issue%20166/korg-nanokey2-460-80.jpg

KORG nanoKONTROL2:

http://cdn.mos.musicradar.com/images/Computer%20Music/Issue%20166/korg-nanokontrol2-660-80.jpg

So I thought about getting the AKAI LPK25 to replace the nanoKEY2, but while watching some videos about this device on YouTube, I stumbled over another interesting looking device, the AKAI MPK Mini which basically seems to be the LPK25 with some pads and knobs that would replace another device (like the nanoKONTROL2).

AKAI LPK25:

http://www.evsound.be/images/catalogus/6704_.jpg

AKAI MPK Mini:

http://www.djdiscount.ch/imgshop/akai.MPK%20mini.jpg

So it seems there are many fish in the tank, and before buying another device that turns out to be not the right one for me, I wanted to ask you guys what you can suggest me.

Here are my requirements:

- I need a MIDI keyboard so I can produce music while traveling (I have the nanoKEY2 for this at the moment)

- I also need some knobs and/or sliders which one typically uses when producing electronic music (I have the nanoKONTROL2 for this at the moment, and I noticed that the MPK mini doesn't have any sliders, so would this be a problem?)

- I don't know whether I need pads or something like that for producing electronic music (I'd like to learn how to produce psychedelic trance and minimal), so I don't have something like that yet, but maybe they would really be useful?

- I will be traveling by airplane, so I won't have much space for any equipment

And a last question: would you rather suggest to have different devices (like the nanoSERIES) or one device that has it all (like the MPK Mini)?

Thanks A LOT for your help, guys! I really appreciate that! :-)

Best regards

Josh

Okay, a friend who is producing electronic music for years now told me the following:

- He does never use pads at all

- Sliders are not really needed, knobs do the work, too

- He suggests me to have a single unit when traveling

One thing that seems to be very useful on the nanoKONTROL2 is the solo/mute/record buttons that are there for every of the 8 tracks it supports. And also the play, pause, record, set and jump to markers, etc. buttons seem very handy.

So I think the combination of the MPK Mini and the nanoKONTROL2 would also make sense, doesn't it? So I would have the knobs, sliders and special feature buttons (play, pause, etc.) on the nanoKONTROL2, and the keyboard and pads (and some additional knobs) on the MPK Mini. What do you think about this combination? :-)

i have an lpk25, but don't really like it.....velocity sensitivity is crap (too difficult to get consistent soft notes), and the curve can't be changed in the software :(

i've always liked my microkontrol, as i think for what it is it's pretty playable...might be looking into the newer microkeyer, as don't need all the extra controls/pads

Would the Novation Remote Compact be too big?

...and a little too expensive for me. I only need this device for about half a year while traveling, afterwards I will look out for a more professional one, I think.

The KORG microKONTROL does not seem to be available anymore, but the microKEY looks interesting, though it has 37 keys, which is a contra point for my purposes.

Thanks for your replies, guys!

dude...did u check out the m-audio keystation? small, 32 keys... link post above...

This looks very promising. Do you have any experience with it? How is the velocity sensitivity? In fact, the thing I really need is a keyboard that has a good and natural velocity sensitivity (after years of playing on real pianos and now having the great Yamaha P140 I am kind of spoilt), and the Keystation2 really looks great for that... Combined with the nanoKONTROL2 I guess I have everything that I need...

it's new, i haven't got it yet. but at this size, it's as good as it will get.

the akai is fair, and the nanokey (shudder)...

i'll be traveling in a few months, will get one then, definitely.

Damn, I hoped you would get one in the next few days and could tell me more about it then... ;-) So I'm still stuck between the Akai and the M-Audio... Let's see if I find a shop where I can try them out and compare to each other. I will give feedback here after that.

it's new, i haven't got it yet. but at this size, it's as good as it will get.

the akai is fair, and the nanokey (shudder)...

i'll be traveling in a few months, will get one then, definitely.

Damn, I hoped you would get one in the next few days and could tell me more about it then... ;-) So I'm still stuck between the Akai and the M-Audio... Let's see if I find a shop where I can try them out and compare to each other. I will give feedback here after that.

are you kidding? i'm gonna let YOU buy ir first, and report back... 8)

the akai is fair, the m-audio looks good, maybe google it for reviews...

are you kidding? i'm gonna let YOU buy ir first, and report back... 8)

the akai is fair, the m-audio looks good, maybe google it for reviews...

the m-audio isn't released in Switzerland yet, but I guess it will be in a few days. I guess I will go to a shop and compare it to the Akai directly, and then I will talk back to you guys.

CU later... :-)

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, I bought the M-AUDIO Oxygen 25 and I'm very happy with it.

I've written a summary about the other devices, I hope you will find it helpful. :-)

http://i11ogic.wordpress.com/2011/10/08/portable-midi-keyboards-which-is-the-most-natural-one/

PS: I will add some images and a better conclusion later, I have to go now... Nice weekend, everyone!

glad you like your oxygen keys, and good review (just read it).

i will def get the keystation before i start traveling, it's exactly what i want.

but...whatever works.

Please give me this as a comment, would you? You'd be my first one, haha! ;)

• 2 years later...

After all these years, this thread is still relevant in the search results.

I agree with the poster above - KORG's "microKEY" series is a lot better than their "nanoKEY" series.

I wrote a new article about the best portable MIDI controllers, updated for 2014-2015:

Comparison: The 3 Best Portable MIDI Controllers

^ Check it out and let me know what you think!

-Ki

Salem Beats

funny, i ultimately got a novation launchkey mini. i hated the axiom midi, found it too small to play at all. i LOVE having 16 pads on the novation...i can play what i want (using spark2) live, i don't have to switch between 2 sets of 8 pads; the keyboard is playable (not perfect, but good enough), and the knobs do knobby things (after much help setting that up, from david and others here on the forum). plus it looks good...!