Keyswitch Macro for use with Kontakt

I've created a keyswitch macro which sends program changes to Bank Instruments in Kontakt 2. You can just pull programs into the Bank and start switching away. Much faster than creating keyswitches within Kontakt!

Caveats: 1) you must make sure that Kontakt is set to "omni"

2) you won't have the fader in the arrange page. Perhaps someone can figure out a better way to insert it into an Audio Instrument.

This is set up for 8 programs for keys C0 thru G0. But once you figure out how it works, you can easily adjust it for more channels or different keys.

Kontakt Keyswitcher fixed.LSO

Edited by L Hall

Okay, here's the problem with this template. I have a filter in it that prevents the "note off" from returning the program back to default. This works fine until you record a track. Although the "note off" isn't recorded into the track, Logic seems to assume a "note off" at the end of the duration of the note. Thus when the keyswitch note ends, the program changes back to "01" until the next keyswitch is hit.

I really hope someone will take a look at this and see if they can figure out how to get around this.

Much thanks,

Larry

Okay, I think I have this working now. Because logic inserts a meta of the "note off", I included a meta filter. The result of this is that you can't use slot one in Kontakt's instrument bank. Not really a big deal.

The great thing is that you can shuffle your patches around quickly until you have everything set up the way you want and then save the instrument bank.

I hope someone will try this out and let me know what they think.

L Hall

Kontakt Keyswitcher fixed.LSO

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi,

Well I'm still using Logic 8, but I assume the setup will be similar.

1) In the Environment mixer view, cable the macro to an audio instrument. Name the macro an appropriate name like: Violin II KY ( I always add KY to denote that it's the keyswitch macro).

2) In Kontakt, open an instrument bank and load in the patches you want. Don't put any patches in the first slot. For the Kontakt midi channel, select "omni".

3) In the arrange page, shift/click on a track and assign it to your macro (Violin II KY). You won't see the fader in the inspector anymore.

4) Still in the arrange page, before playing notes, select some other track and then come back to the macro track and select it. Now you should hear your patch playing. The keyswitch notes are C0- G0.

Hope that helps. I've been using it for LASS lately. The nice thing with LASS is that I find I don't need to load as many patches in as I did with my previous library.

• 1 month later...

Hello!

It works wonderful, but the only way I can think of to import the keyswitcher to a new logic project, is to copy it from your project into my new one. Is there a way to save this macro in Logic, in the prefernces for instance, so you can call it up when you open a new project?

(I,m using logic 9 on imac dualcore, 4gig ram and kontakt 3)

Kind regards

Göran Ericsson

Hmm, I wouldn't think you could save it in preferences, but maybe David has some thoughts.

I just have a bunch of them saved in each of my templates and cable them as needed. I suspect copy/paste is probably the easiest way to get started, though.

Glad it's working for you!

• 1 month later...

Thanks for your work.

It is Great!

I have two questions.

Since I have to set midi port to omni, It's not possible to have more than one bank per one kontakt instance.. Right?

I like to have a keyswitch from c-2 (using second keyboard)

So I did unpack macro and change note.

but key input was not working since I unpack macro.

So I have to make physical input to connect to monitor?

and should I have to make a new macro to pack it again after edit?

I'm new to logic.. so please understand if my question was stupid.

also my poor english...^^

HI LCS,

Yes, you can only have one bank per instance of Kontakt.

As for the other question, it's a bit hard for me to answer right now because I'm out on the road away from my gear.

But I do remember that if you unpack the macro, you have to be very carefully about re-cabling everything as it first was after you make any changes. It's a bit hard for me to remember all the details because it's been a long time ago that I created this. But just be very detailed in restoring everything and hopefully you'll be alright.

Perhaps someone else who has been using this with immediate access can help as well.

Larry

• 4 months later...

Great great great!

I am using this like nothing else in this world. Congratulations!

I have a question... how can I edit the macro itself? I would like to adapt it to a diferent range, say C4-B4. Is it possible? I tried for some hours in the environment but could not get the hang of it...

THX!

----

Hey, never mind... I found out you can unpack the macro! =)