Hi-hat sounds in Logic with Roland TD-12 using midi

dyntryx

Hi all,

I'm trying to get my hi-hat open and closed sounds to work properly in Logic using midi but I'm having some trouble. Everything worked fine out-of-the-box when connecting the TD-12 to Logic except the hi-hat, which seems to be a common problem based on some Google searching. Unfortunately even after lots of Googling I have been unable to figure this out, so I've come here to see if you guys have any suggestions.

The problem is that when playing open hi-hat and closed hi-hat on my TD-12 the same note is produced. I have tried configuring this on my TD-12, but it makes no difference. I can control the note that is sent, but it's always the same note for open and closed hi-hat.

What I figured out is that CC #4 (the foot control signal) is sent as well from the TD-12 and it looks correct. When I play the open hi-hat the CC #4 is set to 27 and when I play closed hi-hat the CC #4 is set to 91.

Unfortunately, even though the foot control value changes, playing this back in Logic using a preset like the Indie Kit does not sound any different. Some internet browsing suggests that the foot control should be interpreted in Logic and I can see that the values are different in the Hyper Draw portion of the Piano Roll.

How can I fix this? Has anyone had any luck with the TD-12 in Logic? It's a pretty nice kit and I'm certain people have to be recording this kit in Logic, but I certainly can't figure out how this works. I've been banging my head against the wall with this one. I hope someone can help!

Here's some info in case it's necessary:

The drums are Roland TD-12

The computer is a Macbook Pro running OSX Leopard

The software is Logic Pro 9

I'm recording via midi, not line-in

The midi to USB interface is a Lexicon Lambda

The attached screenshot is what this looks like after I did some manual editing of the foot control. When setting it to 120 and then 0 the notes all sound exactly the same. Am I doing this wrong? :(

footcontrol1.thumb.png.ba6d8d5e836e3f59c91a4349861edb67.png

• 1 month later...

Hi, I am having the same problem as you are. I am using the TD12kx with Logic 9 through MIDI. I don't understand MIDI the best so dont take my word for it but here's what I am thinking... (Also I wrote to Roland directly on this one and am waiting a reply - if it ever comes)...

The signal you (and me too) are seeing from the foot controller in Logic only occurs upon pressing the high hat pedal. The signal is short and does not continue when holding down pedal. This MIDI signal received by logic is as if you are playing the high hat pedal. EX. Everytime you press it, it will make a sound, just as if playing a drum. (If it's not making a sound everytime you press it, the cabling may not be routed properly in you MIDI environment in Logic. But that is irrelevant because even if it was routed properly, having a sound everytime you press the high hat pedal is fairly useless. This seems to be a "problem" in just the way Roland designed the TD12 sound module. That's how it is sending out the MIDI signals. I had a Roland TD 3 until now, and it is configured the way you want. Holding down the High hat pedal will send a different MIDI note continuously while pedal is pressed and triggering high hat. (May be something you wish to consider for recording is trying out that Module).

As far as just sticking with the TD 12 module, here is what I came up with so far.

The VH-11 high hats have two zones on them. Head and Edge. I sent the Edge MIDI signal in the environment in Logic to a closed high-hat sample, and I sent the Head to an open high hat sound. So play edge for close, play head for open. And it's ok so far. Still working out some kinks. Kinks like, you have to wait for the open high hat sound to fade out each time you hit it. There is no choke. ... (and even with the TD3 module with foot controller working there is not choke. I dont think you can choke out a MIDI signal now that I think of it, as it will always play the entire sample. I am going to try and figure out how to edit the open high hats afterwards that I need choked to try and make them sound better.

Hope any of that helps. :)

Here's what i found upon extensive internet searching for how to use the Roland TD12kx MIDI with Logic Pro 9......

dont do it.

I wont go through the list of all the problems and 'almost solutions' that i came up with. Instead here's the final verdict. .....

TRY OUT BDF2!!!

I came across it looking for the solution to the variable hi-hat mapping for MIDI. And I gotta say, BFD2 seems to be amazing. I downloaded the free demo version from their webside today and it seems like it will work great. Check it out the video

Also to note* BFD2 can act as a direct plug-in to Logic Pro 9.

cheers.

• 1 year later...

i'm having the same trouble, sort of!

i'm using a roland td-11kv and running it through Addictive Drums into Logic via usb

i'm getting the hi-hat open and closed symbol's both coming through addictive drums, and out my monitors

but logic will pick up everything EXCEPT the hi-hat

can anyone help me?

• 6 years later...