Adaptive Limiter and master still in the red? [SOLVED]

AMD

Hi guys.

I'm trying to do some DIY mastering. I have inserted the Adaptive Limiter as the last plug in on my Stereo Out.

I brought up the gain a bit on the input scale but didn't over do it and there are no overs. I have my out ceiling set to -0.3dB (apparently this is the setting to use to for CD?

My problem is this: when I bring the output gain up a bit, even though there are no overs on the limiter, the signal goes into the red on the Stereo Out meter.

This has me really confused. I thought the whole point of the limiter was to provide a ceiling that the signal cannot go beyond?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Adam.

Hi guys.

I'm trying to do some DIY mastering. I have inserted the Adaptive Limiter as the last plug in on my Stereo Out.

I brought up the gain a bit on the input scale but didn't over do it and there are no overs. I have my out ceiling set to -0.3dB (apparently this is the setting to use to for CD?

My problem is this: when I bring the output gain up a bit, even though there are no overs on the limiter, the signal goes into the red on the Stereo Out meter.

This has me really confused. I thought the whole point of the limiter was to provide a ceiling that the signal cannot go beyond?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Adam.

:?

The Limiter is BEFORE the fader...

Hi guys.

Thanks for the replies.

The fader is set to 0dB. I am not trying to push that any further. What I am trying to do is to increase the output gain on the limiter to add density to the music but as I mentioned, even with the ceiling set to -0.3dB on the limiter and no overs on the output of the limiter, the level on the fader still goes into the red.

What I can't understand is how this is happening. Surely the -0.3dB ceiling set on the limiter should prevent the levels on the fader from going into the red, especially if the limiter comes before the fader?

yeh.. all gain increases need to be added before the Out ceiling point.... so increase the Input scale, or the limiters gain, or put a gain BEFORE the limiter in the chain and it will be fine...

The only thing i can think of if you've been doing all this already is the " Master " fader....

In the mixer scroll to the far right - where your out put fader is with the limiter and that there's another fader just to the right called ' master '... You can't put any plug in's on this fader but if the level on this is changed it will affect the level on the output... maybe you've changed this by accident or something, ?