Making tempo "breathe"

mus0r

I have posted this question a few places and no one ever seems to have an answer. Hopefully you all can help.

I make primarily metal/industrial songs and I am looking for a way to make the tempo of my recorded tracks less rigid. Ideally, what I would like to do is track everything out and then record a live drum track with which to set the tempo, giving the previously recorded/sequenced tracks a more human vibe to it.

I am pretty sure this is possible, I'm just having a hell of a time figuring out the proper way to set it. Previous attempts have led to weird tempo problems with the audio tracks (the midi sequences seemed fine).

Any input from the experts would be helpful

what I would like to do is track everything out and then record a live drum track with which to set the tempo, giving the previously recorded/sequenced tracks a more human vibe to it.

That's a backward way to approach it. What is wrong with the classic approach: first record your live drums, then track everything else while listening to the drums?

what I would like to do is track everything out and then record a live drum track with which to set the tempo, giving the previously recorded/sequenced tracks a more human vibe to it.

That's a backward way to approach it. What is wrong with the classic approach: first record your live drums, then track everything else while listening to the drums?

These are not previously composed songs, they are works in progress. If I were to do it as you would recommend, I think it would get more complicated as I add/remove/move parts.

Do you disagree?

These are not previously composed songs, they are works in progress. If I were to do it as you would recommend, I think it would get more complicated as I add/remove/move parts.

I'm not sure what you mean?

Here's what I would recommend:

1) Write your song, lay down your ideas on temp tracks etc.

2) Record live drums.

3) Re-record all instruments while listening to the drums. At this point you can decide to add, remove and/or move any parts you desire.

Anything that is not recorded "to" the live drums will never sound really tight with the live drums, no matter how much you mess with it after the fact, ESPECIALLY if your live drums have a "breathing" tempo.

You'll have to beat map your drums after they are recorded. I would post a link to beat mapping in the Logic 9 manual but it seems the logic manual links are currently not working.

Here's the link to the manual: http://documentation.apple.com/en/logicpro/usermanual/ - search for "beat mapping" and you should find the info. Let me know if you have any other questions!