Echo clicking

electro_doll

I have a vocal line that goes "Into the night" and I just want the word "night" to echo, so I've put on the echo insert and then automated it to be bypassed until it gets to the word "night" then it's unbypassed. It's perfect except it clicks right after I say "night" loudly enough to be annoying and bad sounding. The only way to fix it is to move the unbypass to be earlier, but then it just doesn't sound right. Any tips? Is this a lost cause?

As Eric & Rev said but depending on the precise effect you want to achieve and how you want the echo to interact with the words immediately following it there is another option. cut the word night from your vocal track and copy it to another track that has the echo plug-in on it. This gives a lot more independence to the echoes. I use both methods in different situations. Which one I use depends on the context and what I want to achieve.

HTH,

Alan.

Pursuant to Alan's suggestion, don't cut the word out of the original track, just copy it down to the new track. When you set up the echo on the new track, set the Dry parameter to 0% and the Wet to 100%.

The new track fader will now just control the echoes without disturbing the level of the original word. Makes it more convenient for mixing.

I usually automate the send amount to a delay aux.

That's always a last resort for me. I hate having to guess which bus on the channel strip is the one sending to that effect, then having to go hunt down the aux that's hosting it just to confirm. If Logic allowed quick bus naming on a per project basis, or allowed for more freedom in mixer rearrangement, I would change my tune.

I usually automate the send amount to a delay aux.

That's always a last resort for me. I hate having to guess which bus on the channel strip is the one sending to that effect, then having to go hunt down the aux that's hosting it just to confirm. If Logic allowed quick bus naming on a per project basis, or allowed for more freedom in mixer rearrangement, I would change my tune.

Hmmm. I find it quick and painless to hold-click the send and see my bus labels. Much simpler than duplicating tracks for me.

Funny how much workflows can differ.

Now, if only plugin sidechain boxes did this!

BusSend.jpg.76b00821fab9cd7acfd5f484c2a881fb.jpg

Hmmm. I find it quick and painless to hold-click the send and see my bus labels.

Those aren't bus names, those are the names of the aux channels those busses are routed to.

If you automate the send, then every time you want to change the level you need to edit the automation, or go hunting down the aux channel. Much more convenient to not automate it and just always have a fader right next to the original track that you can tweak anytime.

Those aren't bus names, those are the names of the aux channels those busses are routed to.

Indeed, my bad.

If you automate the send, then every time you want to change the level you need to edit the automation, or go hunting down the aux channel. Much more convenient to not automate it and just always have a fader right next to the original track that you can tweak anytime.

I don't find hunting aux channels a hassle, maybe because I've got a fairly consistent colour-coding scheme, and because I rarely have a mixer page that takes more than 3 clicks on the bottom slider to get from end-to-end.

If I don't want to find the aux channel, I can just cmd-drag the send automation to change the overall level. And for situations where I want different levels in different sections, automating the send level seems an equal amount of work to automating the volume of a seperate track with delay on it. Plus, I like to see the entire waveform/midi notes all on the same automation lane. It also gives me the option to fade into/out of an effect, which using the seperate track method would involve a region fade, or gain automation before the delay.

I'm not saying this is necessarily better, but it works better for me. I've got a bias against duplicating tracks and plugins, if I can avoid it. Probably a result of workflows established when I first used Logic 4.5 on a modest G4, and because I don't have the zippiest computer now.