independent volume control on a multi-instrument vst?

cartran

hi,

i've searched a few forums for an answer to this one, can't seem to find it. the closest thing i've found is this post here.

here's my setup: i've got logic 5.5.1 running on winxp. i've got kontakt 1.5-vst plugged into audio inst 1. i've defined a multi-channel instrument to go to my kontakt. i've got 16 tracks assigned to the multi-channel instrument, and 16 different midi lines, one per track, playing to 16 different samples on the kontakt player.

my pb is that i can't control the volume and pan on each track independently. i've imported the song from another sequencer [also using a kontakt player and the same exact sample instruments], and the automation in the mix was saved as midi vol & pan controller messages. so where the automation in the source sequencer allows independent control over every single instrument, in logic the audioinst volume fader's just jumping all over the place like it's got st. vitus' dance, so the volume of every single instrument playing in kontakt at that time gets output at the same exact [erratic] level.

is there no way to have ONLY the volume/pan info on channel 1 go straight through to kontakt's channel 1 instrument, channel 2 to the channel 2 instrument, and so on?

any help appreciated.

thanks.

well i think i've figured out how to make this work, w/some help from sb on another forum. i thought i'd share the results w/you all here, in case sb happens to run into the same pb.

there are some things that need to be changed on both kontakt and logic to make this work. basically, we want to remap volume & pan info sent by our musical lines on midi tracks in logic, then remap them back once they get into kontakt.

step 1: logic

--------------

1- on the environment page, insert a transformer between the multi-instrument and the audio instrument it controls [kontakt]. open the transformer.

2- in the transformer conditions box, set the following:

status = control

cha all

-1- inside, then put 7 [for volume] in the upper box and 10 [for pan] in the lower

-2- all

2- in the transformer operations box, set the following:

thru

thru

use map

thru

3- in the first field below universal map box, enter 7, in the second enter 17

4- in the first field below universal map box, enter 10, in the second enter 20

the transformer should now look like this:

http://www.tonepaints.com/perso/gbt/xformer.jpg

now the fader for the kontakt audio instrument won't jump all over the place because it won't get the information; only kontakt itself will.

step 2: inside kontakt:

-------------------------

PRELIM: it won't work if the kontakt option for "use std CC#7..." is set. so the first thing you need to do is go into the kontakt options and set this to off. even after that, there are still a few more things that need to be done before the kontakt controller buttons can be remapped:

1- click on the edit button for an instrument inside kontakt.

2- right-click on the ctrl you want [volume knob, for example] in the amplifier section

3- on pop-up, choose 'external sources -> midi cc'

4- in the box on the new segment that pops up under the amp, type the # of the ctrl that you remapped w/the transformer [for volume, it would be 17]

5- right click on the ctrl again, this time choose automation. [on mine i could not get the automation to work unless i set 'external sources' first, for some reason.]

6- set 'MIDI controller' in the option bar, then select the ctrl # you mapped in step 1 [17]. MAKE SURE the option bar is set to "midi controller" and not "host".

* if yours is like mine, after you've config'd one instrument the first time, it will already show "group volume" on the controller # as though it were already set. DON'T BELIEVE IT -- IT'S NOT. set it anyway. once you've done this, your display should look smth like this:

http://www.tonepaints.com/perso/gbt/kontakt1.jpg

7- once you're finished doing this for every intrument in your rack (oh yeah...), save the multi.

8- now close your project and reopen it so that kontakt is restarted

* if you don't restart kontakt, it won't do diddly.

that should do it. now you have independent control of vol, pan, & whatever else you need for each instrument in your multi.