Apple to stop selling boxed Logic Studio set

This would be a really stupid move. Who wants to download a 40gb application from the web. Even the fastest speeds it will be while to get and what about bandwidth... If they are the only ones a move to cubase will happen for me.

still faster than mailing it or driving to an apple store.

I predict that we won't have to download 40gb of stuff for install & all the Apple Loops will be held in the cloud & we just download individual ones to our computers when we want to put them in a project.

I wouldn't mind that so much but I'd still rather have the option to buy a box with some discs & books in it too.

I predict that we won't have to download 40gb of stuff for install & all the Apple Loops will be held in the cloud & we just download individual ones to our computers when we want to put them in a project.

I wouldn't mind that so much but I'd still rather have the option to buy a box with some discs & books in it too.

You can download the content from within the app.

And there is a new Feedback option in the Menu. 8)

http://www.logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?p=407351#407351

First the manuals and now the DVDs.

Anyone but me miss those wonderful old random access paper manuals?

I used to read them - cover to cover.......

I still take the PDFs to local print shop for sections I need to work on - for example, I printed out the Score Editor portions in its entirety.

I guess my take on it is the price keeps getting cheaper, and I just roll back in the cost of printing what I need. I certainly don't miss paying $600.00 back when the Logic manual came in a 3-ring binder and the EXS-24, EVP-88, Space Designer, etc. were all additional licenses

Not on my connection (that and the fact I'm a 5 minute walk from the Apple Store), plus I don't think it would ever hold out for 40GB of downloading :(

But you can just download what you need, when you need it, bit by bit. See Eric's link earlier in this thread.

Oh yeah, they're actually quite doable chunks of downloading :D

Think I might wait for Logic 10 to come out, then get a super-cheap deal on a Logic 9 upgrade :lol:

un-be-lievable, though totally predictable

had just this morning, decided to sell logic and work with reaper for a while...it's not that i don't love logic, but i need the money..so, i though "hmmm, better sell logic before it ends up being available really cheaply via the app store, then i can re-buy at some point when i can afford it

oh well :roll: :D

anyways, can't complain, as i have been pro 'logic in the appstore' for a while...at least i have all my content already installed

First the manuals and now the DVDs.

Anyone but me miss those wonderful old random access paper manuals?

I used to read them - cover to cover.......

I still take the PDFs to local print shop for sections I need to work on - for example, I printed out the Score Editor portions in its entirety.

I guess my take on it is the price keeps getting cheaper, and I just roll back in the cost of printing what I need. I certainly don't miss paying $600.00 back when the Logic manual came in a 3-ring binder and the EXS-24, EVP-88, Space Designer, etc. were all additional licenses

[editorial]

I totally miss the 3-ring binder. Paper remains, in every respect imaginable, the best format for a manual, especially when compared to the piddly excuse for a manual that apple provides now. You can dog ear pages in a paper manual, make notes and corrections, and best of all, physically remember where information is located merely by muscle memory. And you can see two pages at once in a book! Can't do any of that with a PDF or with the antiquated apple Help-based system.

I remember (I'm sure you do too) that back in the day, when Logic was updated they'd send you isolated chapters to update the manual with. Open the binder, take out the old chapters, put in the new ones. Ta da! Could it be any easier?

Non-paper manuals are in no way "greener", either. On the surface it might look like it's a saving of paper, ergo a saving of trees, etc. But the reality is that the energy needed to read the manual on an electronic device creates its own forms of waste and pollution, not the least of which goes into the manufacture (and expense) of PDF reading devices like computers and iPads. If someone told me 10 years ago that in the future I'd have no choice but to turn on an electronic device just to be able to read the Logic manual, I'd have thought they were insane.

I'll speak for myself, but I find that I comprehend information far less when reading a PDF manual as compared to paper. For me, the idea of NOT providing paper manuals for a program as complex as Logic is an ultimate expression of the abandonment of reason. I mean logic. I mean "common sense". ;)

On the flip side, there are plenty of things that are perfectly viable in PDF or on-screen form. Apple's combination dictionary/thesaurus is an invaluable tool for writing at the computer. There are times when I'll break out my multiple copies of Roget's and other hard copy reference books, but for the most part the Apple dictionary/thesaurus does the job. But for a technical manual? Balderdash!

[/editorial]

lower overhead = lower price to consumer

£100 cheaper than the boxed version?!

Not sure how much cheaper it's selling in the UK however; Jobs's biography talks about the lengths Apple went too on packaging and the expense associated with it. Taking this cost out of a product will lead to margin enhancement for Apple, pricing reductions or, (in most cases) both.

If you think about cost of materials (DVD's, boxes, manuals), production/packaging costs, transportation costs, cost of inventory etc. 100GBP could be a realistic saving. There is also a cash flow component that benefits Apple in that the difference between cost of goods and receiving payment is almost reduced to zero when they transition from hard products to downloadable products.

But you can just download what you need, when you need it, bit by bit.

...but only for as long as Apple wants to make it available to you. Combine that with the phasing out of durable offline storage (i.e. optical drives) and there's potential for trouble down the road. Backups and planning for service disruptions have always been critical, but my sense is that some folks are letting their guard down in this age of the "cloud".

--

Moose