It just goes to show.......9.1.6 update issue?

Today, I finally decided to upgrade my backup iMac to 9.1.6 as i am comfortable with the new upgrade's performance and stability on my other Macs.. and no sooner had I done so than whenever I opened a project I got the SBOD for a while followed shortly by a KP....

I couldn't work out why because all I had done was update to 9.1.6 and this hadn't occurred on any of my other Macs so I began digging around in the logs and I noticed that every Panic was being triggered by MDS.. (Usually associated with Spotlight.)

I hadn't installed or reinstalled any additional content.. other than the 9.1.6 update itself..so for a while I couldn't understand what was going on.. until I happen to check the Privacy settings for Spotlight and it was then I noticed that every one of my external drives that I had blocked via that tab.. were no longer showing in the list...

For some odd reason Spotlight had reset itself and was trying to reindex all my drives including my Bootcamp Win7 drive... and an external NTFS drive i use to store my Windows based data on...

I added all the blocked drives back again and since then.. no more SBODs and no more Panics and the system is quite stable again.

So... even though on the face of it.. it was the update to Logic that had caused this issue, because that was the only thing I had knowingly changed.. it turned out to be a Spotlight issue and nothing to do with Logic at all.. Unless for some extremely weird reason.. it was the update to Logic that caused Spotlight to lose all it's settings??? I think that is highly unlikely but i won't rule it out 100%...

Anyhow.. for anyone having the SBOD issue and/or weird Panics... Maybe you should check your Spotlight settings too.. just in case mine is not a very isolated issue.

I opened up the console, found in applications/utilities and then read through the various logs that can be found in there... The main ones I used were the crash logs themselves but there are also other useful ones to be found there such as the diagnostic logs and the overall log.. which logs everything going on with your computer (A sort of combined 'everything' log if you like...)

It's not easy reading and it can take a lot of patience to go through it all.. and even then, most of it is above my head, knowledge wise.. but there are often easy to see clues like in my case.. the crashes pointing to the cause which was MDS.. A process along with MDworker..that is often connected to the running of Spotlight...

So when i saw that it was MDS each time that was causing the crash... my first thought, based on prior knowledge, bit of googling... and much reading here and elsewhere.. was it's a Spotlight issue... and so it proved to be.

hmm...I'm noticing a LOT more maxing out of my processors on lower cache settings than I'm used to (in 64bit more especially)..

hmmmm

Whereas I am seeing the opposite.. My Quad Core i7 is showing that I am getting a much more balanced usage of all 8 Cores than previously with the same projects... resulting in fewer spikes on just one core which was common with 9.1.5.

Hi Ruben,

You add the drives to the Privacy tab...

The link to how to do this exactly.. is here..

http://www.logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=79029&highlight=

Do not add your System/OS drive!!! Only other intrnal and external drives if you have any.

However, this should be a last resort and only if you are seeing mds and/or mdworker using up a lot of cpu time in the activity log..

First things first would be to read the other threads about this issue and also to state what your OS and version is, your Mac Model, external/internal drives and whatever Audio/Midi interface you are using... If you could add them to your sig that would be even better

There are a few possible causes and issues with Spotlight is just one of them..

The first thing I would try is the following...

Start up Logic in each of the various "safe' modes to check nothing is amiss with plugins, core audio or last used projects..

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2047

If you don't get any success after trying all three then the next thing to try would be to temporarily remove all 3rd party plugins from the Plugins/component folder (Remembering there are two possible locations.. One in the system / library/audio/plugins folder and one in the User/library/audio/plugins folder), reboot and then run Logic normally to see if any validated plugin is responsible..

If none of that helps.. then try the Spotlight trash and re-index method...

Let us know how it goes...

I'm still hunting for ideas...What's really weird Is that I opened up one of the sessions in 32 Bit mode instead of 64 bit mode that was pegging my processors when the buffer was at 128, and it worked BETTER in 32 bit mode..

hmm..using too many 32bit bridge plugins in 64bit mode?? Weirdddddd.

dk,

I had that issue with 9.1.5 when I was running in 64bit mode with lots of older 32bit plugins and the *wretched* bridge..

Thankfully now almost every plugin I use, is available as a 64bit plugin and because I use VE Pro.. I've moved any 32bit plugins left (Mainly Waves) to a slave computer.. so I never see the *wretched* bridge at all...

Anyhow, I am sure the bridge places extra loads on the CPU so it's not surprising you get heavier CPU usage in 64bit mode compared to 32bit mode if you are using mainly 32bit plugins..