Getting Sound Out Of Logic Pro

Abel

Hello to All, First let me say that I'm extremely new to the computer recording and Logic game. I have a dual G5 2.3, 4Gb, 10.4.8, Logic Pro 7.0.1, M-Audio Firewire 410, Roland JV-1000. My problem is that, when I import my standard midi files into the arrange window, I can't hear them play back with my external moniters. I purchased the "Apple Pro Training Series" level 1 book and when I do the exercises everything plays perfect. I'm almost certain that my problem is with the environment. I'm just not understanding it. Could someone please explain to me, what my environment should look like with my basic setup, so that I can hear my midi? What objects should be on what layer? Right now, on my Click & Ports layer, I have the physical input cable going to the keyboard> moniter>sequencer input. Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks in advance...

Hello to All, First let me say that I'm extremely new to the computer recording and Logic game. I have a dual G5 2.3, 4Gb, 10.4.8, Logic Pro 7.0.1, M-Audio Firewire 410, Roland JV-1000. My problem is that, when I import my standard midi files into the arrange window, I can't hear them play back with my external moniters. I purchased the "Apple Pro Training Series" level 1 book and when I do the exercises everything plays perfect. I'm almost certain that my problem is with the environment. I'm just not understanding it. Could someone please explain to me, what my environment should look like with my basic setup, so that I can hear my midi? What objects should be on what layer? Right now, on my Click & Ports layer, I have the physical input cable going to the keyboard> moniter>sequencer input. Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks in advance...

Instead of wiring to the sequencer, try wiring to the INTERNAL quicktime Apple Synth. ( NEW - INTERNAL - Applesynth)

Have you tried playing these midi files in some other app like the QuickTime? They will sound a bit silly but at least you will know there is midi info there.

Are you making sure you put these midi files in Logic's instrument tracks with a plug-in instrument loaded?

if you have managed to play plug-in instruments & record midi data when doing the exercises in your book, put the midi file on one of those tracks.

Thanks Justin for the advice... When I import the Midi files, I know the info is there... I can see the info in the arrange window and my transport bar confirms that midi is being sent out to the Roland. When I push play I can actually hear the music through the headphones but not the monitors. I want my Roland to play the midi... I tried setting up a multi instrument but can't seem to get it to work. I've pretty much checked everything externally, so I'm still thinking the environment is the problem. How many objects do you need in an environment like mine? On which layers? How should they be cabled? Thanks again for any more advise.... Abel

I didn't realise you were trying to play an external instrument.

You want the sound from the Roland coming back into Logic rather than using an external mixer/amp etc., & you can hear the Roland through headphones?

Your midi seems to be alright then.

It sounds like you simply haven't set up an Audio Input object in the Audio layer of the environment, or if you have you still haven't given it an Output. It seems that by default the Output slot of a new Input is blank & the fader right down as a safety measure.

Easier than setting up an Input is to use the External Instrument plug-in under Logic's instrument menu.

Hi.

The following might help you:

1. Open your song (the one which is going to be your autoload.lso).

2. Open your Environment Window either by going Windows > Environment or just by pressing COMMAND + 8.

3. From the Environment Layer menu choose the Layer called MIDI Instr. Or create a new Environment Layer by choosing **Create!** and name that as you like.

Note that if you selected MIDI Instr. Layer there might already be some objects. It's up to you whether you want to keep them or delete them. If you don't know what those objects are read Logic Reference manual from the page 211 onwards.

4. From the local window menu choose New > Multi Instrument (this object pops to your currently selected Environment Layer).

5. Make sure that the Multi Instr. object is selected and change it's name to match one of your synthesizer i.e. Motif... You can change the objects name either by COMMAND clicking it's name or by naming it in Object Parameter box (next to triangle where it says (Multi Instr.).

6. Your new Multi Instrument object has 16 squares that are slashed. These are called Sub Channels and they represent midi channels in Arrange Window. Enable as many as you need to by clicking the corresponding channel.

7. Choose a correct midi output port which your new Multi Instrument will be using by click-holding the All-word in the Object Parameter box.

8. Now click-hold the MIDI cord Icon right next to Icon word. This will open up a Icon window where you can select an Icon to represent your Multi Instrument in the Arrange Window Track list. After selection Logic will ask you whether you want this Icon for all Sub Channels. Again it's up to you. You can of course have different Icon for every Sub Channel.

9. Choose MIDI THRU Tool (the one that looks like midi cord and has little arrow pointing down. By clicking Environment Object with this tool causes them to show up in the Arrange Window. Detailed explanations for other parameters in the Object Parameter Box can be found in the Logic Reference Manual. If you want all your Sub Channels to show up as Arrange tracks change the tool (cursor) to Arrow tool and drag the Multi Instrument object to Arrange window track list.

10. Now it's time to go to your Arrange window to take a look and to test whether your new Multi Instrument is working.

Also make sure that your Rolands outputs are connected to your soundcard and that you have rec armed those corresponding inputs in Logic.