Exs instruments stop playing

negv

I use a big mac with bags of ram for orcchestral mock-ups.

From time to time instruments will stop playing - no sound, no midi received, no vu meter lights, nothing.

Never the same instrument (trombone,piano,whatever), never the same track N°.

i can click on a different instrument and everything works ok, but as soon as I click on the "faulty" instrument, nothing ...silence

I can twiddle aroound for ages and nothing happens - bypass the plug, click on a different track and back again, reorganise memory etc. no deal, no sound.

I overcome this by relaunching Logic - a real drag.

G5 Bi-Pro Logic 7.1, OsX 10.3.4, Motu 828mkII, M-Audio Pro 88 keyboard connected via USB for midi.

Is this a virtual memory problem, or a midi problem ?

many thx

It's an old bug....from the Emagic days!

http://www.apple.com/feedback/logic.html

Instead of relaunching Logic, you can try two things:

1) Re-launch the Audio Engine: go to Audio > Audio Hardware and Drivers and uncheck, then recheck the CoreAudio driver.

2) Save and close the song and reopen it (without quitting Logic).

Let me know if one of those workarounds work?

thx David for your ideas

I tried relaunching the audio engine and it didn't do anything other than reload all the samples....

However closing/saving the song sounds like a good one to me. I'll give it a try tonight.

Does the fact that I'm still under OS 10.3.4 have anything to do with this problem ? Don't see why it should, but you never know...?

Thx again

(assuming we're having the same problem here): when my exs Instruments, or VIs, stop making sound, I just click on the "plus" button (of the exs plugin) to load the next instrument, then click on the "minus" button to get back to the Instrument i had.

This usually works to "wake up" the Audio Engine and is often quicker than a song reoload or an Audio driver relaunch.

HTH

RR